U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 02:04 AM

491 posts, read 1,281,635 times

Advertisements

I finally saw this movie from start to finish, after watching it in bits and pieces a while back.
I didn't read the book, so perhaps the book has a more detailed outcome of the characters involved.

Towards the end of the movie, 3 characters were left, Katniss, Peeta and Cato. Cato is pushed off to the "wolves" and Katniss finishes him off with her arrow. In the end, Katniss and Peeta were the declared champions as they were the last two survivors from the same district because of the sudden rule change for the declared winner.

As I was watching the movie, I thought that the game wasn't over yet because Thresh, the black male from District 11, was still alive. Did I miss a scene? Or should we imply that he was killed off by Cato or eaten by the "wolves"? For those that read the book, how was Thresh's character killed off?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 02:09 AM

42,237 posts, read 49,783,147 times
I think we're to assume Cato killed him in the book...mutts in the movie.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:49 AM

10,544 posts, read 11,637,607 times
He was killed by the mutts in the movie. When Katniss and Peeta were running toward the horn thingy you hear the cannon and she says something about him being killed. BTW Hunger Games - Catching Fire will be in theaters in November. I would recommend reading all three books, they're very good. And Jennifer Lawrence is perfect as Katniss.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:30 AM

1,388 posts, read 1,271,837 times
I just saw it the other day. You see that guy's face in the sky, right when you first hear a roar of that monster dog. So presumably the dog killed him.

I really enjoyed the movie. The wasp nest part was bloody intense. I'd never seen anything with Jennifer Lawrence before, and thought she did a fine job. That said, my girlfriend who's read the books did have to point a few things out they didn't explain in the movie (where do those gifts come from? The sponsors pay for them. Why was giving her bread such a huge deal? Because they're so poor they have no choice but to hunt their own food. Neither of these was clear, and probably would have taken 10 seconds or so to explain). A-.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:55 PM

491 posts, read 1,281,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
He was killed by the mutts in the movie. When Katniss and Peeta were running toward the horn thingy you hear the cannon and she says something about him being killed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
I just saw it the other day. You see that guy's face in the sky, right when you first hear a roar of that monster dog. So presumably the dog killed him.

LOL, I guess I missed that scene. The movie has sort of a Gladiator angle to it. Even the way Katniss shows her lack of respect towards the judges, similar to Maximus disrespecting Commodus in the colosseum.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:47 AM

21,041 posts, read 15,241,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post

I really enjoyed the movie. The wasp nest part was bloody intense. I'd never seen anything with Jennifer Lawrence before, and thought she did a fine job. That said, my girlfriend who's read the books did have to point a few things out they didn't explain in the movie (where do those gifts come from? The sponsors pay for them. Why was giving her bread such a huge deal? Because they're so poor they have no choice but to hunt their own food. Neither of these was clear, and probably would have taken 10 seconds or so to explain). A-.
She is an extremely talented young lady. She also gave a wonderful performance in "Winter's Bone" - a very dark, unpleasant story but, I felt it well-worth watching because she was just so good.

Anyway, yes, that character died just before Katniss put Cato out of his misery.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:50 PM

84 posts, read 156,912 times
I purchased the movie in Blu-ray and I thought it was disturbing, yet interesting. The disturbind part was how the young children were killing each other to survive. I thought the story and plot were excellent. Hunger Games is a unique movie and will be one of those movies that will stick out for years to come.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:23 AM

21,272 posts, read 20,878,318 times
IMO, the book was so superior to the movie in every conceivable way that I was actually mad at myself for having even seen the movie. Granted, most books are better than their movie counterparts, but this movie was lacking in so many ways. So many important things were left out that the whole point of the book was lost IMO.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:00 AM

10,328 posts, read 12,421,365 times
I had assumed the mutant dod/wolves got him.

I had never read the books, only saw the movie. Enjoyed it reminded me of the Running man and Hard Target from the old days, with a female lead and more detailed plot. Jennifer's career is on fire, That's for sure.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:31 PM

10,544 posts, read 11,637,607 times
I read all three books, and have NO idea how they are going to do certain scenes in the next 3 films, but looking forward to them. I thought the movie was great on its own merit, Jennifer Lawrence role made the film and was very believable. Just an incredible talent. The thing about making a movie out of any book, is you can't have everything or it would be a 12 hour movie. Things have to be compressed, edited, and rewritten. All in all, very well done I think. And Donald Sutherland, PERFECT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies