Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 11:48 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,027,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
My sister and I are in our 40s and still make Grease references (we had it completely memorized).
One Grease reference I continually make is about driving in Boston.

If you want to know how to drive in a rotary (aka roundabout, traffic circle) in Boston, just remember "the rules are, there ain't no rules!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 12:44 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
My sister and I, in a fake Australian accent, like to say "Jealous are you?"

Old 03-29-2013, 12:56 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
It is a vacuous plot with shallow characters designed to serve as a presentation vehicle for some entertaining song and dance numbers...all I remember about Grease is liking some of the songs. The story itself is on the level of those "Will Annette win back Frankie?" Beach Party sagas.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:10 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
I would skip through the songs. I was In a sixth grade production of this show and had a minor scene and fell over a wire and on my butt in front of the whole school and my family. I was mortified. I decided show biz was not for me-Years later now my job involves providing shows to people along with other entertainment but I stay off the stage.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:20 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Do WHAT?!

Old 03-31-2013, 08:20 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,186,749 times
Trying to understand why anybody would watch a musical but skip through the songs?

Old 04-04-2013, 10:07 AM

92 posts, read 457,183 times
Grease is probably the only musical I can sit through. Loved it as a kid, but two songs I can't stomach to this day are the "Sandy" one at the drive-in (gag) and the Rizzo one toward the end (ughh). It would be ridiculous to watch it solely as a stand alone story of a movie.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:07 AM

182 posts, read 477,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I have been a fan of the 1978 movie "Grease" since shortly after it was released. I have seen it more times than I can even count.

But I have found that if I watch it now it is a lot more enjoyable to skip through the musical parts. It seems strange, being that it is a musical movie.

How do you feel about the movie? Can you still watch it with the music? Or do you prefer to watch it without?
I love Grease, but I'm a fan of the play not really the movie. The movie is ok, but I don't think that anything could beat the energy and excitement of the play. I saw the play in 1994 when they were doing the US National Tour (I was in 9th grade) and Rosie O'Donnell was playing Rizzo. I love the music from both the movie and the play (most of the songs are the same), but hearing the live orchestra behind the songs in the play was awesome.

The only musical part of the movie that I skip through is Beauty School drop out, I didn't enjoy Frankie Avalon's version. Now, Billy Porter's version from the play is one of my favorite Grease songs:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=k09Igxc3MTw

Old 04-04-2013, 01:40 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,027,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSmooth View Post
I love Grease, but I'm a fan of the play not really the movie. The movie is ok, but I don't think that anything could beat the energy and excitement of the play. I saw the play in 1994 when they were doing the US National Tour (I was in 9th grade) and Rosie O'Donnell was playing Rizzo. I love the music from both the movie and the play (most of the songs are the same), but hearing the live orchestra behind the songs in the play was awesome.

The only musical part of the movie that I skip through is Beauty School drop out, I didn't enjoy Frankie Avalon's version. Now, Billy Porter's version from the play is one of my favorite Grease songs:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=k09Igxc3MTw
I saw the play on my trip to London c. 1998. It was cool seeing songs like "Those Magic Changes" and "Mooning" sung by actual characters as a part of the plot (they're just background songs in the film though they're on the soundtrack). And I agree, the pit orchestra was pretty great and full of energy

However, the girl who played I believe Patty Simcox COULD NOT shake off her British accent. So that was hilarious, seeing English actors playing American greasers, but this one girl acting as English as can be.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:08 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSmooth View Post

My position as well, I was greatly disappointed by the Avalon rendering of "Beauty School Dropout" which was great in stage.

In general, the music from the Broadway versions of anything are superior to the movie versions of the same. "Camelot" on Broadway had Richard Burton, Julie Andrews and Robert Goulet, the film had Richard Harris, the non singer Vanessa Redgrave and the non singer Franco Nero. "My Fair Lady" on Broadway had Julie Andrews as Liza, the movie had Marni Nixon singing for Audrey Hepburn. "Man of LaMancha" on the stage debuted with Richard Kiely and the powerhouse voiced Joan Diener as Aldonza. The film version had Peter O'Toole (dubbed by a bad singer) and the no singing talent at all Sophia Loren who should have been dubbed by nearly anyone. On stage "Evita" had Patty LuPone who can knock down walls with her voice, the film had the marginally talented Madonna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies