Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 08:36 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times

Advertisements

He knew movies although his likes and dislikes were too often based on his own tastes and not completely on the movies actual merits. He and Siskel were great together and they always lacked something on their own.
I'm glad he's finally found peace, he had a rough time of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 07:20 PM

142 posts, read 120,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
He knew movies although his likes and dislikes were too often based on his own tastes and not completely on the movies actual merits. He and Siskel were great together and they always lacked something on their own.
I'm glad he's finally found peace, he had a rough time of it.
What are the merits of a movie? Why is Gone With The Wind better than The Wizard Of Oz?

The only reason is that person A values the combined elements of the former more than the latter. Person B might not value those same elements in the same way.

No film is inherently better or worse than another, except by opinion.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:52 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Before going to a certain movie, I would look up what Roger had to say...

There were times where he gave a thumbs down and I went to see it anyway. Sometimes it was better than he reported, but most times, he was accurate.

That is the one thing I will miss, searching for Roger Ebert's opinion... before I dish out $7.50 for a movie..

You will be missed. RIP Mr. Ebert.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:41 AM

5,462 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Ted Rall, never afraid to say what he thinks: Ted Rall Editorial Cartoon, April 10, 2013 on GoComics.com

I agree with his opinion of Citizen Kane; historically significant, but boring to watch today.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:44 AM

142 posts, read 120,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Ted Rall, never afraid to say what he thinks: Ted Rall Editorial Cartoon, April 10, 2013 on GoComics.com

I agree with his opinion of Citizen Kane; historically significant, but boring to watch today.
Rall is a fool for thinking that a film was objectively good or not. It wasn't. And Ebert didn't hold to this pretense; he understood that his reviews were merely opinion.

And his equation of Ebert's taste with intelligence is absolutely idiotic. But part for the course for Rall.

I didn't always agree with Ebert, either. Example: I loved Walker, which was one of the only films I ever saw Ebert give zero stars. Another example: Citizen Kane itself. But that is merely a difference of opinion. I guess I lack Rall's narcissism, wherein one mistakes a personal perference for an objective truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies