Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 03:02 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,223,197 times

Advertisements

Will be interesting to see how this strategy works out...

"Disney and its wholly owned subsidiary LucasFilm just announced today that there will be a new "Star Wars" movie coming every summer, starting in 2015.

You heard that right. No more waiting 16 years for a new set of films -- or even three years for a sequel. According to Coming Soon, the news was unveiled today at CinemaCon, the movie exhibition trade show taking place this week in Las Vegas.

The rollout of new "Star Wars" films will begin in 2015 with "Episode VII," the continuation of the original story that will be directed by J.J. Abrams and written by Michael Arndt. That movie will kick off a new trilogy, while it's also known that the companies are working on standalone films -- some possibly prequels starring younger versions of Han Solo, Boba Fett and Yoda -- also set in the "Star Wars" universe..."

Disney promises a new 'Star Wars' film every summer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 09:55 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,245,835 times
I'm more interested in quality than quantity. I'd rather have a GREAT Star Wars movie every 5 years than a mediocre one every year. Here's to hopin....

Old 04-18-2013, 10:05 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,025,687 times
Why anyone needs this is beyond me. Why Disney's doing it is painfully obvious.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:43 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,540 times
Obvious money grab. And we don't really need it. But I'm still going to watch and enjoy! Never saw the point in complaining because a series is getting milked, lol.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:21 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,014 times
I disagree. We need more star wars. I do agree that i would like quality though. Prequil era is over.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:28 PM

I don't understand the frequest complaint: "We don't need more X."

If you're saying, "We don't need more bad X," then I agree with you. But ultimately it ought to be about quality and that's it. Wouldn't a great Star Wars movie be better than another bad Wachowski movie? Or another mediocre romantic comedy (spoiler alert: they fall in love in the end)?

I've probably had several hundred burritos in my lifetime. I never want another bad burrito. But a good burrito? Or better yet, a great burrito? Those never go out of style.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I don't understand the frequest complaint: "We don't need more X."

If you're saying, "We don't need more bad X," then I agree with you. But ultimately it ought to be about quality and that's it. Wouldn't a great Star Wars movie be better than another bad Wachowski movie? Or another mediocre romantic comedy (spoiler alert: they fall in love in the end)?

I've probably had several hundred burritos in my lifetime. I never want another bad burrito. But a good burrito? Or better yet, a great burrito? Those never go out of style.
But we have the whole story now. The rebellion defeated the empire, and the universe is saved. Are there any loose ends that were not resolved? No. The prequels were already 100% redundant, the only particularly good feature being the scenes with the emperor in Ep III.

I wouldn't mind another story about fighting an evil empire while flying through space. But I'd prefer an original story.

Ah well, I guess it's official - Star Wars is going the James Bond route. A franchise, not a trilogy or evem double trilogy. Will there be more Lord of the Rings movies now too?

Last edited by averysgore; 04-18-2013 at 06:31 PM..

Old 04-18-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
But we have the whole story now. The rebellion defeated the empire, and the universe is saved. Are there any loose ends that were not resolved? No.
That's up toe the writers. We know some of the old cast is coming back. Personally, I hope they're in the story long enough to pass the baton on to new characters. But a good story in the hands of a good director can be magic.

Quote:
The prequels were already 100% redundant, the only particularly good feature being the scenes with the emperor in Ep III.
The prequels were mediocre because they weren't well written. They weren't mediocre because they were Star Wars.

Just because some thing is original doens't make it good. Jellybean tacos would be original. They would also be horrible.

I want more good movies. I really don't give a flying flip if they're original or not.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
The prequels were mediocre because they weren't well written. They weren't mediocre because they were Star Wars.
They were mediocre from the get-go since we knew exactly how they would end. It wasn't about saving the universe anymore, it was about sitting in the senate chamber waiting for the emperor to make his big move and turn the kid evil already, with a few more plot points thrown in like the "attack of the clones" which frankly I completely forget, so peripheral was it to the story arc.

In the end they were dragged down more by actors who couldn't act (Hayden Christensen) or could act but seemed incredibly bored the whole time (Neeson and McGregor).

Quote:
Just because some thing is original doens't make it good. Jellybean tacos would be original. They would also be horrible.

I want more good movies. I really don't give a flying flip if they're original or not.
I guess it depends on what you mean by "good." I think further Star Wars movies could be good-to-great action movies, could have some good performances, and almost certainly will have top-notch special effects. But Star Wars went beyond that, it created its own world, with many three-dimensional characters (some non-human) and had an epic sweep that few other films match. Now the epic has concluded, and I would much rather have a new, original epic with new three-dimensional characters to draw me in, than an unnecessary continuation of the one whose story is over.

Christ, I'm not even that much of a Star Wars freak. I probably sound like I am.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:23 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,540 times
Quote:
But we have the whole story now. The rebellion defeated the empire, and the universe is saved. Are there any loose ends that were not resolved? No. The prequels were already 100% redundant, the only particularly good feature being the scenes with the emperor in Ep III.

I wouldn't mind another story about fighting an evil empire while flying through space. But I'd prefer an original story.

Ah well, I guess it's official - Star Wars is going the James Bond route. A franchise, not a trilogy or evem double trilogy. Will there be more Lord of the Rings movies now too?
Wasn't there a series of books where Luke revived the Jedi Academy after the empire was defeated? I suppose they could go off that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies