U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2013, 04:58 AM

6,522 posts, read 10,511,595 times

Advertisements

What is your favorite version of this film and why?

I've always liked the 1976 version with Jeff Bridges and Jessica Lange. It was the one that I grew up with and had the most mystique.

I tried watching the original several times. The special effects were just not up to the newer one. But I admit it had some good scenes.

The latest one had some interesting scenes as well. But overall I don't think it was a good film. You could say that the special effects were better, but it was all too fake. I don't think I could have believed it if I were a kid today. The effects look like too many other films.

I think the 1976 version rules. The effects now are not as impressive. But it was a lot more believable. It's the only one that has that "big movie" quality of the 70's. That was one of the best decades for movies.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 08:11 AM

12,832 posts, read 17,510,704 times
Jackson's is the best. The movie very wisely takes the time to build the menace of Skull Island. Every character is developed. And most importantly, the relationship between Kong and Anne is just absolutely perfect, which is something that was downright disturbing in previous versions. Kong is basically a big kid, and Anne is his beloved pet. Jackson's King Kong is one of the best action/adventure films ever made.

The 1976 version has its moments. Jeff Bridges and Charles Grodin are great. The scene where Kong first takes Anne is really well done. I used to think Jessica Lange was horrible in the movie, but I have seen her in so many things since in which she is great that I now think she was simply doing a great job playing a total dumb ditz. But the biggest thing that ruins this movie is Kong's affection for Anne, which is just plain creepy. There's the scene at the waterfall where he is pawing at her and peeling back her clothes. And the look in his eyes ... the gorilla looks like a freakin' subway flasher. Ick.

The original is brilliant in many ways, but very dated. The acting is wooden. And the subtext is more than a little racist, not only with them "savage natives," but especially with Kong himself.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:07 PM

7,041 posts, read 5,274,761 times
I like the original because it is such a classic and actually very well done for the time. I don't know about the racist subtext because that was just the way things were back then. I get a kick out of the 50's sci fi movies were the women on the space mission are good enough to be scientist astronauts but they are still serving the men coffee and lunch.
I think it is neat how in the 1976 version Kong climbs the world trade center.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:37 AM

6,522 posts, read 10,511,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I like the original because it is such a classic and actually very well done for the time. I don't know about the racist subtext because that was just the way things were back then. I get a kick out of the 50's sci fi movies were the women on the space mission are good enough to be scientist astronauts but they are still serving the men coffee and lunch.
I think it is neat how in the 1976 version Kong climbs the world trade center.
Yes. And it's kind of funny how the movie poster shows him standing with one foot on each tower. But in the film he was a lot smaller, walking around on just one of the buildings.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:51 PM

8,809 posts, read 9,790,526 times
1976??? How about the 1933 original with Fay Wray? That is a classic.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:58 PM

7,059 posts, read 7,148,922 times
The only one that interests me in the slightest is the original. It's wonderful how effective it it, and it's wonderful to get into it and imagine what it felt like to the original audiences, too. I've seen the Guillermin one, but have no interest in seeing the Jackson one. And, excuse me, but it doesn't say much for any movie if the main thing you talk about is the special effects.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:03 PM

2,414 posts, read 1,081,448 times
Default My brief review of the first three "King Kong" films

Just wanted to bump this thread to discuss the first three King Kong movies from 1933, 1976, and 2005. Note I'm not including "Kong: Skull Island" on here because it's got it's own thread, and it wasn't really a re-make of the '33 film, but had an original & completely unrelated story:

1933 version:

The original b&w version is the most classic & iconic. Good film for it's time. However, the effects don't really hold up these days. That being said, it's still worth checking out.

1976 version:

I may be in the minority here, but this is my favorite King Kong film. The '70's vibe is great, and the monster looks decent too - yes, the special effects are extremely dated & primitive by today's standards, but to me the story is fantastic & gripping. Jeff Bridges and Jessica Lange give excellent performances in the film as well. IIRC this is the first Kong film I saw as a kid - way back in the '80's on an edited network TV version.

2005 version:

While I really wanted to like the film, I found it extremely disappointing - both times I've seen this. It's definitely my least favorite King Kong film (when compared to the '33 & '76 versions). Though IMHO the film had the potential to be a modern masterpiece, two elements really brought this movie down:

1) The ape should have been huge, not just around 4-5 stories tall. It was definitely unusually large & much bigger than humanly possible. However, it was quite small in comparison to the size of the King Kong Apes in the other film versions. And, as such, it wasn't as imposing as I would like to have seen, especially in a modern re-make. I'm curious as to why the film-makers chose to go this route - possibly to make this more "realistic", or to have Kong more of a match for his attackers, i.e. the dinosaurs/creatures on the island & the humans in NYC?! In any case, epic fail here.

2) The casting of Jack Black as the movie producer Carl Denham. Terrible casting choice. While the other actors (Naomi Watts, Adrien Brody, etc.) fit right into the depression-era setting, JB looked like he stepped off of one his modern comedies. I didn't buy him as a movie producer, either. Another epic fail.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:35 AM

984 posts, read 363,128 times
I am actually one of the few people that thinks the original is the least best in any ways. It's a good movie in the sense that I realize it's a classic, but I feel that it's very much a style over substance movie. I really liked how the woman cares about Kong in both remakes, where as in the original, she's pretty much happy and relieved to see him dead and gone, and you get no sympathy from her with the audience at all.

That's my big problem with the original. As an action classic, it's solid, but it has the least amount of substance, by far, compared to the remakes in my opinion.

I'd say that the 2005 version is probably the best, then the 1976 and then the original I think. The 2005 is perfect or at least near perfect. Maybe some of it could have been trimmed, and maybe Jack Black wasn't the best choice, but he was still good, and the movie is near perfect for me.

The 1976 version is really good for me as well and it has the best ending of all the versions in my opinion.

Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM

6,699 posts, read 7,462,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
1976??? How about the 1933 original with Fay Wray? That is a classic.
This!!

Old Today, 09:20 AM

17,142 posts, read 4,214,134 times
Nobody, but nobody could scream like Fay Wray!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwawiQLsPe0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies