Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 09:35 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
It's been decades since I read the book. Were Irving Berlin and waltzes part of it? Mostly what I remember is the theme of decadent, party-going cynicism and social rebellion, which doesn't much evoke waltzes.

I'm not a hip-hop fan but I can understand Luhrmann's rationale for using it as a artistical device, i.e., stand-in for that era's jazz.

I'll probably see the 3D version next week, have low expectations after reading mixed critical reviews.
I don't believe Fitzgerald mentioned any waltzes, I just automatically envision waltzes in relation to calmer moments in the story, as well as the early 20s in general. It probably doesn't help that I've read a lot of Fitzgerald's work (I actually like his short stories better than his novels), and that's only made me relate his stories to early jazz even more. I definitely agree that the main focus of the story seems to be on a generation of decadent, self-absorbed people living a flashy, lavish lifestyle, even the ones who can only pretend to live that way (Myrtle). I can also understand the rationale behind using hip hop and modern pop music in the film, as the lifestyle evoked by those could pretty easily be compared to that of the 1920s. In some ways they're remarkably similar. And maybe it would help if I didn't despise that type of music. But I do, and regardless of how justified it is, I don't think I could stomach watching The Great Gatsby set to music that makes my skin crawl, when I read the story and automatically envision my favorite genre of music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 08:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
Oh god, is this a Moulin Rouge type of thing? If so, I will not be attending. That book is a masterful piece of writing, especially the last page and paragraph. I approve of DiCaprio in the titular role, but the 3D made me turn my head in confusion, and now this? I'm all for modern synthesis of vintage aesthetic, but ham-fisted modern music plugs is just awful.
I haven't seen it yet, though I'm sure that by the time I can get it on my Roku, my curiosity will get the best of me.

I love artsy movies, but I absolutely hated both Moulin Rouge and The Gangs of New York (each movie reminds me of the other!). TOO MUCH TOO MUCH TOO MUCH. Overkill. Sheeze. I don't like feeling TIRED after I go see a movie!

Sometimes less is more. I wish more screen writers and directors would take some cues from Horton Foote.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:09 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Not me!

Not only is the music thing off-putting, but I've see a picture of Daisy, and Luhrmann clearly has no grasp of the look of the 1920s. Just read a really bad review, too.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:18 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
I just saw it after waiting several months for it to come out.
I was sorely disappointed.
The movie is so boring in alot of places. It could have been done in 1.5 hours instead of 2.5, and would have been better. The Gatsby parties were fabulous, but other than that, no special scenery at all. Could be a stageplay with no problem. You don't even get excited by seeing Leo make love to Daisy, ever. The music was ok, didn't bother me at all, but the boring story did.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:31 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,862 times
Well, I guess I'm in the minority. We just saw it today and I really enjoyed it.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:54 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,017,642 times
^ Another like here. Even knowing the story already (from the book) and disliking some of the music, I thought the film was well worth seeing.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:08 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
I was quite excited about it until I saw the preview. I love Carey Mulligan and Di Caprio but the music will really put me off. What the hell was wrong with fabulous Jazz music ?

I am sure it will look sumptuous but the tone of it seems vulgarian rather than anything else. Style over substance once again or just trying to attract a younger audience and completely put off an older one ?

I am a big fan or Art Deco and Jazz music so was really looking forward to it , now I am lukewarm at best.

If the rap music is to evoke the sense of decadence and modernism associated with the Jazz age why not simply transfer the whole film to a modern bling-bling setting ?

Art Deco setting and costumes with rap ? I think not.

I will probably go and see it for the visual style of it. I assume it is not in 3D only because that is always a no no for me.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:44 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
A lot of people are acting like the whole film is filled with nothing but rap. Trust me, there is plenty of good old jazz throughout the film. But there also some modern pop tracks as well. I think the first thirty or so minutes of the movie are when it's the most blatant. After that it simmers quite nicely.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:52 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,420,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I was quite excited about it until I saw the preview. I love Carey Mulligan and Di Caprio but the music will really put me off. What the hell was wrong with fabulous Jazz music ?

If the rap music is to evoke the sense of decadence and modernism associated with the Jazz age why not simply transfer the whole film to a modern bling-bling setting ?
We saw it this weekend, and liked it (I knew ahead of time it would be somewhat over the top). It's not all hip-hop/rap. Here's a sample so you can get an idea for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5snA5TEse9w

My favorite song from the movie is Lana DelRey singing "Young and Beautiful"...it haunted me all weekend.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:20 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
A lof of people must be interested in seeing it. It grossed over $19 million on opening day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies