U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 05:13 PM

6,413 posts, read 6,812,334 times

Advertisements

The Station Agent Trailer HD - Original - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 05:31 PM

26,234 posts, read 1,960,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Netflix has nothing to do with it. I hate the idea that you're crediting an internet corporation with that.

All you have to do is buy yourself one or two good reference books about movies. One of the best presents I ever got was when a friend gave me Halliwell's Filmgoer's Companion. Or, as you said, if you look at what wins awards, or what directors have good reputations, that can be a guideline.

Well for us, and evidently many other people, Netflix has A LOT to do with it. So, if we buy the book, then what? Where do you find ALL the movies (by not buying them)? Netflix is convenient and cheap and we love it.

Now, to the OP....here's just a few movies I can remember off the top of my head (because we just watched them):

Someday This Pain Will Be Useful To You
A Beginner's Guide To Endings
Hit & Run
Freaky Deaky
and so, so many more.... thanks Netflix!

PS The Station Agent is one of our favorite movies and have watched it several times.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:09 PM

4,703 posts, read 3,680,389 times
Seen some excellent documentaries:
911 from 2002 by 2 French film makers who were in Manhattan that day.
Inheritance and Hitler's Children (the children and grandchildren of some of most horrific nazis)
Russia's Toughest Prisons
The Great White Odyssey ( a female GW who swam 9000 miles)
The Inside Job

Too many historical and science & nature to list.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:40 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,911,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
his mom sneaks off to find a girlfriend for herself or him?
Haha. no. He goes to Thailand himself and meets a nice Thai girl, but Mom does NOT approve.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:42 PM

13,351 posts, read 13,872,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Just watched a movie called Teddy Bear, about a shy Danish bodybuilder with a domineering mother who sneaks off the Thailand to find a girlfriend. It was quite different but pretty good.

What a coinkidink, I saw this last night as well. It was ok. Could've used a bit better editing and cut it down to an hour.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:48 PM
Status: "These 18 hr days are killing me, Larry!" (set 17 days ago)

11,139 posts, read 18,669,236 times
Yay!! Already so many titles to look up and add to my list. I'm the type who'd rather watch Once Were Warriors five times before I'd watch a movie like Fast and the Furious 6.0.

I watched Birdie and Clay Pigeons back in the early 90s while I was living abroad. I recognized some of the titles added so far but most are new to me.

And yes, as was stated a few posts ago, Netflix has everything to do with access to movies that are otherwise obscured in this country where the blockbusters completely push out indie and foreign flicks, especially for someone on a budget. And further, I can hit pause, go grab a snack or make a pit stop and pick up where I left off, and with no annoying commercial breaks.

Reps for everyone for their contributions!

Old 05-31-2013, 08:56 PM

6,115 posts, read 4,659,855 times
Good post. There are alot of stinkers on Netflix but occasionally you can find a real gem.
I have been finding many good foreign made horror films that blow away the cookie cutter American predictables.
The gems keeps me clicking and watching.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:01 PM

4,087 posts, read 5,321,421 times
I Do: How to Get Married and Stay Single. It's a french comedy, I loved it!

Old 06-01-2013, 11:01 AM

13,351 posts, read 13,872,050 times
I watched the Station Agent and Once Were Warriors a long time ago (pre-Netflix) and recalled that they were good but not much of anything else about them. Guess I'll have to rewatch.

I recommended "Kumare" in the documentary thread. Some of the Korean movies are pretty good ("Man From Nowhere").

Old 06-01-2013, 04:29 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,932,043 times
I was looking for this miniseries about Australia and searched. I didn't find it but this wonderful British miniseries called To the Ends of the Earth. I was going to watch the first part (there are three) but ended up watching the whole thing. Its from a book written in the early 1900's, and about this young aristocratic British gentleman and his life changing voyage to the colony of Austraila during the war of 1812. He leaves one man and arrives as one with his whole world changed. Benedict Cumberbach stars. This is pre sherlock and trek and he shows all he's got.

I'd not have known about this at all if it were not for Netflix. My only wish is that more of the documentaries were streamed. I keep the disc option because there is a long list of obscure documentaires that are only available that way.

I'm also hoping that they persue their own series and especially do more of Jericho (they are still negotiating) since this is the way drama is going to be done and not have to appeal to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies