U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 02:04 AM

4,507 posts, read 4,603,480 times

Advertisements

The Legend of 1900 with Tim Roth........EXCELLENT little gem!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 04:57 AM

21,531 posts, read 19,692,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
The Legend of 1900 with Tim Roth........EXCELLENT little gem!

That was a great movie, done extremely well...the piano play off was extremely intense, wasn't it?

Old 06-07-2013, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The plot being a woman with lots of kids reminded me of another Netflix find - A Home of Our Own, with Kathy Bates. If ever you wanted to punch someone out through the TV screen, then that movie is for you. Not a dig on Bates, though, she's great in it - but the writer made her so damn unsympathetic with her draconian parenting. It is a great movie to watch if you were exposed to poverty in childhood, because this movie will make you feel like the Prince of Siam.

Idiocracy was a very good film, which I watched with my son - we joke to each other about it when we come across people through the course of a day who seem like the ones who will be our future. Far too few people have seen this flick.
Yes, I've watched it many times, thank you, and it was great....loved it, and love Kathy Bates, as well as Joan Allen.
You have to understand, at that time, poor people back then, parented that way....I actually got upset with her as well, however, she did the best she could, in the particular time....and her kids understood, lest we forget, when your a single parent, with that many kids, struggling to not only make ends meet, but keeping the kids fed...clothed and going to school, with the hours she worked, I suppose her character felt, she had to instill some kind of fear in her kids that there was going to be consequences for they're bad behavior. Think about it, if child services would have stepped in, b/c one of the kids got out of hand, they would have taken the kids from her...especially with the way they were living. At least that was my take, and it didn't bother me to much, b/c while I only got spanked once or twice, my foster parents used the same tactics....and I have no problem with that...especially when I observe parenting and kids today? I see nothing wrong with it...and believe eventually as in all things, it will eventually turn around where parents will realize, spanking is not beating...I got a swat across the butt, it didn't kill me. Now my maternal mother, THAT was a different story, she definately beat me...but good, many times.

Never even heard of Idiocracy, will have to look for it. Thanks so much

Last edited by cremebrulee; 06-07-2013 at 05:08 AM..

Old 06-07-2013, 06:14 AM

4,735 posts, read 3,751,165 times
Watched "In Her Skin" a BBC film based on a true story. Well done. Note: a serious film

Old 06-07-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Watched "In Her Skin" a BBC film based on a true story. Well done. Note: a serious film
I just went in to read about this movie...and saw that Sam Neil is in this as well....
It absolutely amazes me, how many movies Sam Neil is in...the guy is incredible, he must be working ALL the time...but think about it, and remember how many movies he as been in?

Love him, by the way.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:21 AM

16,114 posts, read 3,894,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
The Magdalene Sisters

My Week with Marilyn
Both excellent films, especially The Magdalene Sisters.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:08 PM

6,535 posts, read 6,948,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Never even heard of Idiocracy, will have to look for it. Thanks so much
I'd ignore the film's trailers, though, since they don't do it justice and make the film seem like just another vacuous Hollywood film (Mike Judge obviously didn't have say over the trailers).

Old 06-09-2013, 03:35 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,337,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Good post. There are alot of stinkers on Netflix but occasionally you can find a real gem.
I have been finding many good foreign made horror films that blow away the cookie cutter American predictables.
The gems keeps me clicking and watching.

Sometimes the stinkers are the gems . I love watching a movie that is rated 2 star and to find out I loved it.

OP: Check out Fish Story and Cold Fish they are both on the unusual side. Those are just two off the top of my head.

Last edited by Momotaro; 06-09-2013 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: adding additional words

Old 06-09-2013, 03:37 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,337,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
So, if you buy the books, you find yourself flipping through them, and you gradually start to pick up all kinds of information. I'm not saying you shouldn't use Netflix. What I'm saying is that it shouldn't necessarily be considered as a good source of critical information. I'm not familiar with how it works, but I'm guessing that it doesn't tell you what's wrong with a movie, which a good reference book will do. Netflix exists to sell you things, not to teach you things.

I do not need a book to tell me what is "wrong" with a movie. I watch movies to find out if I like them or not based on my own opinion.

There is always a snob in discussions such as this.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:41 PM

13,351 posts, read 14,086,670 times
I hate Fellini.
I can't stand Kubrick.

There, I said it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies