U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 04:45 PM

6,575 posts, read 6,983,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I hate Fellini.
I can't stand Kubrick.
Then you probably should not watch their films.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 03:43 PM

6,575 posts, read 6,983,381 times
This one's not bad. Based on a true story. IMO it's worth seeing at least once.

As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me Trailer - YouTube

Old 06-14-2013, 01:14 PM

11,287 posts, read 18,881,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Half of my queue is comprised of movies I'd never have heard about otherwise. Part of the problem is that there aren't any indie houses where I live (in suburbia), part of it is that nothing really stays in theaters for very long, and part of it is that I don't watch a lot of TV to see the advertisements for these things when they do come through. A small sample over just the last two years of my membership:

The Sound of My Voice
Citizen X
Their Eyes Were Watching God
Desert Flower
The Weight of Water
The Notorious Bettie Page
A Better Life
Being Flynn
The Magdalene Sisters
There Be Dragons
My Week with Marilyn
Clay Pigeons
The Last Station
Birdie
Shine
Snow Cake
Once Were Warriors
An Angel at My Table
Tipping the Velvet
The Station Agent
Revolutionary Road
Bright Star
The only one of these many titles available currently is There Be Dragons - loved it, esp. with the femme fatale being a Hungarian woman named Ildiko.

I'll have to keep checking on these to see when Netflix cycles them back in. I really wanted to see the one with the little person.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:06 PM

13,293 posts, read 8,908,249 times
Archer

Old 06-15-2013, 07:03 PM

11,287 posts, read 18,881,095 times
Just watched In Her Skin - very gripping, and surprisingly accurate depiction of this true-life horror story. I actually looked up the details of this crime and surprisingly the murderess is up for parole next month. Thanks for recommending this.

I will see if Archer is currently available - hope some more replies with new titles surface this weekend.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:13 PM

846 posts, read 811,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I hate Fellini.
I can't stand Kubrick.

There, I said it!
I can't stand Kubrick either. I find his movies drawn out and grating to my nerves and not necessarily because they explore taboo subjects.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:26 PM

553 posts, read 701,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I had the movie The Wind That Shakes The Barley saved in my queue for over a year now, and finally got around to watching it this week. The fact that it took the Palme d'Or at the Canne Festival in 2006 had me intrigued. Well, it was just so powerful, so gripping, it got me thinking - how many more movies out there that, were it not for Netflix, we'd hardly hear about them? Any other titles of obscure films streaming on Netflix that anyone highly recommends?
Ipman 1 and 2

Old 06-16-2013, 02:02 PM

4,740 posts, read 3,764,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Just watched In Her Skin - very gripping, and surprisingly accurate depiction of this true-life horror story. I actually looked up the details of this crime and surprisingly the murderess is up for parole next month. Thanks for recommending this.

I will see if Archer is currently available - hope some more replies with new titles surface this weekend.
Glad you agree about In Her Skin. Just found another BBC series Wire In the Blood (23 episodes)
about a clinical psychologist who works with a head detective & is able to get into the minds of
serial killers. It ran from 2002-2008.

QUOTE=Audioque;30039922]I can't stand Kubrick either. I find his movies drawn out and grating to my nerves and not necessarily because they explore taboo subjects.[/quote]

Did you dislike "The Shining" by Kubrick?

Old 06-16-2013, 05:02 PM

9,394 posts, read 8,083,183 times
Fur

Old 06-16-2013, 10:13 PM

846 posts, read 811,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailyvpotter View Post
Did you dislike "The Shining" by Kubrick?
I didn't dislike it as much as his other movies. It was still too drawn out for my liking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies