Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 04:45 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times

Advertisements

The man who fell to Earth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 07:22 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Is that the name of a film or are you introducing yourself?

Old 06-01-2013, 08:28 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I was looking for this miniseries about Australia and searched. I didn't find it but this wonderful British miniseries called To the Ends of the Earth. I was going to watch the first part (there are three) but ended up watching the whole thing. Its from a book written in the early 1900's, and about this young aristocratic British gentleman and his life changing voyage to the colony of Austraila during the war of 1812. He leaves one man and arrives as one with his whole world changed. Benedict Cumberbach stars. This is pre sherlock and trek and he shows all he's got.

I'd not have known about this at all if it were not for Netflix. My only wish is that more of the documentaries were streamed. I keep the disc option because there is a long list of obscure documentaires that are only available that way.

I'm also hoping that they persue their own series and especially do more of Jericho (they are still negotiating) since this is the way drama is going to be done and not have to appeal to everyone.
Yes, that was a good miniseries. I watched it because I love Benedict Cumberbatch as well as Jared Harris (Mad Men) and Sam Neill.

Just watched London Boulevard - not everyone's cup of tea but we liked it.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:18 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I love that one. I've always had an inexplicable and bizarre attraction to David Bowie. But the movie itself has a deep message - everyone should watch this film.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:10 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I was looking for this miniseries about Australia and searched. I didn't find it but this wonderful British miniseries called To the Ends of the Earth. I was going to watch the first part (there are three) but ended up watching the whole thing. Its from a book written in the early 1900's, and about this young aristocratic British gentleman and his life changing voyage to the colony of Austraila during the war of 1812. He leaves one man and arrives as one with his whole world changed. Benedict Cumberbach stars. This is pre sherlock and trek and he shows all he's got.
Thank you SO much for this recommendation. I am a fan of Benedict Cumberbatch, so I was interested in checking this out. I watched the first two parts of this series last night, and will watch the third tonight.

BBC - Drama - To The Ends of The Earth

One of these days, I may even put aside some time to read the books. They were written by William Golding ("Lord of the Flies") in the 1980s.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:42 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Well for us, and evidently many other people, Netflix has A LOT to do with it. So, if we buy the book, then what? Where do you find ALL the movies (by not buying them)? Netflix is convenient and cheap and we love it.

So, if you buy the books, you find yourself flipping through them, and you gradually start to pick up all kinds of information. I'm not saying you shouldn't use Netflix. What I'm saying is that it shouldn't necessarily be considered as a good source of critical information. I'm not familiar with how it works, but I'm guessing that it doesn't tell you what's wrong with a movie, which a good reference book will do. Netflix exists to sell you things, not to teach you things.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:14 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
So, if you buy the books, you find yourself flipping through them, and you gradually start to pick up all kinds of information. I'm not saying you shouldn't use Netflix. What I'm saying is that it shouldn't necessarily be considered as a good source of critical information. I'm not familiar with how it works, but I'm guessing that it doesn't tell you what's wrong with a movie, which a good reference book will do. Netflix exists to sell you things, not to teach you things.
Point taken. I do like books.
When I want to know more about a movie (usually after I've watched it) I google it and usually find useful information on the movie's website (if it has one), IMDb (a favorite of mine), or Wikipedia.

Happy movie watching!

Old 06-03-2013, 12:31 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Which of the aforementioned films will you be seeing, DontH8Me?

Old 06-03-2013, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
And yet you've already decided it's "wrong". Good grief.

Netflix doesn't exist to "sell you things" - it's proving access to thousands of titles, commercial free. And for a nominal monthly fee.

Why are you posting in a thread about a subject you're not even familiar with, and to condemn others for doing it " wrong".

Unless you have some titles to share from your netflix experience (which you've made abundantly clear that you haven't) please stop posting in my thread to derail it. You're more than welcome to start your own thread about the wonders of your movie reference books. This thread is about Netflix.

To everyone else - thanks for sharing all these great titles, I'm looking forward to watching all of the ones I haven't seen yet.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Which of the aforementioned films will you be seeing, DontH8Me?
The one with the little person is first on my list. Looks very promising. I haven't had a chance to watch yet as I planned and hosted back-to-back parties this weekend.

How about you, EAP? Were you able to pick out any of the listed titles as something worth adding to your queue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies