U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 10:31 AM

6,479 posts, read 4,335,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Because that's all they make!

G.I. Joe Retaliation, A Good Day to Die Hard, Hansel and Gretel, Evil Dead, The Hangover III, Jack the Giant Slayer, and others didn't do so well.

I see your point though. What's that saying... "no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people?"

These flopped because they don't have a following like Star Trek and the Marvel Comics. FYI--there were actually 2 Hansel and Gretels released at the same time but one never made it to the theater. I ended up with a bootleg copy by accident. They both sucked big time. Some movies, like The Hangover, don't need sequels and often times, these types of comedies don't fare well because they can't meet the expectations of the first one. I've said before, writers lack originality and creativity and find the easy way out to remake fairy tales and sequels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 10:45 AM

8,415 posts, read 11,025,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
I think the fact that Despicable Me 2 has grossed $228 million in just 12 days blows your theory out of the water. Don't get me wrong, I really wish you were correct! Consider these numbers for movies just released in the past couple months:

Monster University grossing over $230 million
Man of Steel grossing $280 million
Star Trek Into Darkness grossing $224 million
Fast and the Furious 6 grossing $236 million
Iron Man 3 grossing over $406 million
The Great Gatsby grossing over $143 million

8 of the top 10 movies for 2013 so far are either sequels, remakes, or "reimaginings". So sadly, sequels and remakes are not going anywhere. As much as people complain that that's all Hollywood is putting out today, they never seem to stop going to see them.
"Franchise" flicks are big money, like it or not. It's a fact. They do pretty well in the US, but they are HUGE overseas. Even lacklustre sequels that nobody noticed in the US (like ICE AGE 14, or whatever number they're on now) do really well in foreign markets.

They're already projecting that the new STAR WARS flick is going to break $1 billion in ticket sales alone.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:50 AM

307 posts, read 176,601 times
Why stop making what is churning in the money? Isn't that Hollywood?

Honestly, the whole issue with JD not being Native American didn't help this movie whatsoever.

Star Trek had the same issue with casting Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan, I think people just like to look for something to complain about. I don't see a problem with them not casting the "right" ancestry if the actor did a good job portraying the character, which I think Cumberbatch did. I think they gave a lot more the character Khan than they ever did in The Original Series in Star Trek Into Darkness and I greatly enjoyed the film. I didn't see the Lone Ranger yet, but my father, who was a fan of it as a kid, really enjoyed it.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:55 AM

307 posts, read 176,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
"Franchise" flicks are big money, like it or not. It's a fact. They do pretty well in the US, but they are HUGE overseas. Even lacklustre sequels that nobody noticed in the US (like ICE AGE 14, or whatever number they're on now) do really well in foreign markets.

They're already projecting that the new STAR WARS flick is going to break $1 billion in ticket sales alone.
Not gonna lie, I am a little scared for the Star Wars movie.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:12 AM

11,134 posts, read 7,087,881 times
Quote:

I guess that explains ...

Maybe this time a bunch of people will get threatened by reanimated dinosaurs!

Old 07-16-2013, 11:15 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,143,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

That can't be real.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:19 AM

11,134 posts, read 7,087,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
That can't be real.
If you mean reanimated dinosaurs, then no, they can't be real.

If you mean another movie....afraid that it is...

Jurassic Park IV (2015) - IMDb

Old 07-16-2013, 11:20 AM

1,880 posts, read 1,125,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGG1659 View Post
Honestly, the whole issue with JD not being Native American didn't help this movie whatsoever.

Star Trek had the same issue with casting Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan, I think people just like to look for something to complain about. I don't see a problem with them not casting the "right" ancestry if the actor did a good job portraying the character, which I think Cumberbatch did.

I wonder just what sort of ethnicity is required to play a character who is a genetically-engineered super human product of the Eugenics Wars?

Old 07-16-2013, 11:32 AM

4,380 posts, read 1,547,416 times
Quote:
All of these are very good reasons why this was a bad movie, but I don't know that it explains why the movie failed at the box office. MOvies that are far worse succeed all the time.

Westerns are very hard to do right. Critics are constantly saying the Wesetern is dead. It isn't. When filmmakers come along and make a really good Western --- Unforgiven, Tombstone, Silverado, Dances with Wolves, Broken Trail --- it is a huge hit. But then others come along and make a really bad Western, and critics say, "See! The Western is dead." No. Bad Westerns are dead. As they should be.

The tone of the Lone Ranger was all wrong. It was compete utter and unapologetic camp coupled with over-the-top stunts that defy the laws of physics. That isn't what audiences want to see in a Western. We don't want "Jack Sparrow goes West," which is what the Lone Ranger was. In tone, it was less like Tombstone or Silverado and more like The Wild, Wild West (another monster flop).

For a Western, you either need to play it 100% straight, or 100% camp (Blazing Saddles, The Villain). Trying to do a 50/50 ratio just doesn't work. Not for a Western.

P.S.

Although, it could have been worse. The original script that almost shot reportedly had werewolves in it, which is why the Lone Ranger had to use silver bullets.

The HBO series "Deadwood" ruined it for everyone. Unless the movie is as realistic as that, it is doomed.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:57 AM

12,156 posts, read 10,661,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

That...makes...my eyes hurt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies