Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 05:08 PM

9,240 posts, read 9,693,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
You forget the 70s and early 80s where the asian male was the only real action stars ok? Further, i don't understand your logic? Its not like the Chinese need to worry about there bloodline dying out like the native hawaiians and thus really frown on mixed relationships. Every race sex etc takes a hit from Hollywood or is viewed in not so good light.(And if you want me to prove it i can) I also know alot of asian men who date white wemon etc. Not sure what your issue is my friend. Maybe its where you live?
I'm only talking about movies. I don't know why people bring up so many other things here, like Asian men don't treat Asian women well (as if it were true).

Don't you agree nowadays there are many white hero + Asian woman themes? Some people including myself do not like such a pattern when it goes too far. That's it.

Last edited by Bettafish; 07-29-2013 at 06:12 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 05:13 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,019,349 times
I agree with OP's impression that Asian males are emasculated in Hollywood movies but I also think this post is mis-categorized if it starts to veer towards interracial relationships.

There are not many Asian leading men and their interaction with any of their romantic leads have been pretty, er, non-threatening. Chow Yun Fat and Mira Sorvino in The Replacement Killers? There's hardly a tender scene between them.
Jet Li and Bridget Fonda? Not even a kiss. Same goes for the great screen chemistry Jet Li developed with the hot Aaliyah -- no kiss. Only the goofball Jackie Chan gets a harmless little peck here and there.

Please don't mention Keanu Reeves ... his Asian card was revoked years ago. The only Asian male "sex symbol" in America right now is The Walking Dead's Steven Yeun who has sex scenes with the only hottie on the show, Lauren Cohen.

I recently saw an Australian film Tomorrow When The War Begins (essentially, Red Dawn in Australia aka Abercrombie Models vs North Korea) where the sizzling lead actress, Caitlyn Stasy, has an ongoing romance with the Asian hero, Chris Pang. These movies are so far and few in between that it's easy to remember them.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post

Don't you agree nowadays there are many white hero + Asian woman themes? Some people including myself do not like such a pattern when it goes too far. That's it.
I don't recall too many ...

Rambo 2?
The Transporter?

Old 07-29-2013, 08:39 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,709,132 times
Quote:
I'm only talking about movies. I don't know why people bring up so many other things here, like Asian men don't treat Asian women well (as if it were true).

How old are you? If you remember the 70s and 80s any real action star was asian at least where i was born it was. Golden harvest and shaw brothers and independent movie companys movies where the biggest and the hero always got the asian,white, etc etc wahines.

If anyone should have complaints about negative image in hollywood it would be white males. How many maniac killers in horror do u know on screen that are asian or black? In most movies who are the bad guys more often? Whites and Afican American? unless its old school kung fu movie. So what i said b4 hollywood gets us all at one point.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:43 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,693,351 times
Quote:
I saw the Wolverine and Pacific Rim this weekend and both of them are in this category.
Give me a break.

-- I'm an Asian guy.
Try being hispanic, they(hollywood) NEVER pair up a hispanic person with another hispanic person...kinda ticks me off

Old 07-29-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
How old are you? If you remember the 70s and 80s any real action star was asian at least where i was born it was. Golden harvest and shaw brothers and independent movie companys movies where the biggest and the hero always got the asian,white, etc etc wahines.
Besides Bruce Lee's flicks, I don't recall any Shaw Bros/Golden Harvest movies being big here in the US.
Heck, even in Enter The Dragon, the hot white chick (Ahna Capri) went for John Saxon, not Bruce.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Try being hispanic, they(hollywood) NEVER pair up a hispanic person with another hispanic person...kinda ticks me off
La Bamba! and Lou Diamond Phillips is not even part Hispanic.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:03 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,709,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
La Bamba! and Lou Diamond Phillips is not even part Hispanic.
Im from Hawai'i jaypee. Where asians are the major majority of the population. Hence the martial arts films of the 70s and 80s where big. In fact they even had theaters devotted to chinese kungfu movies and samuri. In 80 even golden harvest came to oahu and opened a theater in its name there. So yes it was huge. Sorry off topic but thought you should know.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:16 AM

22,849 posts, read 28,091,495 times
I tried to come up with an example of an Asian actor in a movie in a romantic relationship, and that's when I realized how few prominent Asian actors there are in the U.S. I think that right there is the source of the problem. I could only think of a few, and I didn't know a single one of their names without a Google search.

Even when Asian men are cast in films, it tends to be in very stereotypical roles: martial arts master, computer and/or science genius, or if they're Japanese they can be a ruthless business tycoon. Other than that, there just aren't very many prominent roles for Asian men in movies.

Yes, there are the obvious choices like Chow Yun Fat, Jackie Chan, and Jet Li, but again, most of their roles are in martial arts movies, and most of their best roles aren't in American movies but in Chinese imports. Ken Watanabe is a great actor, but has he ever been cast as anything but a stoic samurai or military officer?

As for mixed race relationships, we ought to be encouraging it, not discouraging it. If the result of mixed race relationships are people like Halle Berry, Jennifer Beals, Rashida Jones, Phoebe Cates, and Kelly Hu ... well then, I say we need a law mandating that 9 out of 10 marriages have to be mixed.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:33 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,503,479 times
Quote:
I was not saying the movies have no original script. I am just saying I do not like these stories and they do not serve my purpose.
Maybe don't watch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies