Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 04:08 AM

48,110 posts, read 21,992,097 times

Advertisements

I am just back after taking a break from reading the opinions about The Butler. I was amazed at how many people expressed negative opinions because the screen play wasn't a documentary. I wonder if those same criticisms were leveled against Forrest Gump and its depiction of the Viet Nam era or Stalag 17 and its depiction of WWII prisoners of war, or even Gone With The Wind and its depiction of the Ante-Bellum south. Most movies are not documentaries and even biographical screen plays are "base on"...not documentary factual depictions of the lives they present. Books do that better.

The Butler is not a documentary.....it is based on the life experience of a real person....but it is not a biography. It uses the fact of a single black man working in intimate closeness to the American Presidents who served during the time of the American civil rights movement and who shaped history or refused to shape and let it wash over them.....and the "What If" and the "I wonder" and "Imagine what he must have been thinking..." possibilities to develop an enthralling screen play and, in my opinion, a great movie. The acting is superb, the costuming, settings, music and video editing....are award quality. All the parts.....major and cameo.....are jewels and gems.

I loved this movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 10:05 PM

7 posts, read 6,745 times
Hi. I am new to the forum and wanted to say that I loved this movie. Also, this only happens rarely, but this is one of the few movies that I've seen where the audience actually applauded.

Also, I loved everything about this film. Especially the way that the film started in 'darkness'(figuratively), but as time went on, you could see how the light kept getting brighter.

Also, this movie kind of seemed like one of the 'best kept secrets' around because I didn't hear about or know about very much concerning this movie and it just kind of took me by surprise.

Plus, this seemed like a big Hollywood event movie with an all-star cast, and with a very important historical/cultural story or theme.(And usually, similary themed movies and projects do very well, such as "Roots" and more recently, "The Help.") However, it just kind of quietly snuck into movie theaters in the late summer of 2013.

P.S. And by the way, I am also curious about all the negative reviews that this movie is getting from quite a few people on various internet message boards.

God Bless.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Theres no way that i would go see this. Im tired of these movies that come out just to try to rehash how AAs were treated way back when.
Ahhh. So perhaps I now see what the problem might be for some/many people regarding this movie.

Quote:
Its things like this that fan the flames of hatred amd racism instead of extinguishing the fire.
But how do you know that? Also, if you don't mind me asking, do you feel that the film "The Help" fanned the flames of hatred and racism?

Quote:
Yes, AAs were treated bad, but whites did help them sometimes too during the civil rights era.
And for some reason, you don't feel that this film depicts this?

Quote:
In the end, its all over and done with. Time to move forward, not backwards.
Wow! It seems as if this film is causing some people to feel very uncomfortable. Even the people who haven't even seen it yet.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
IT WASN'T a JOKE. So you wasted your disgust. His mother might have been a gospel singer in the church or something. Why have Mariah Carey in this role if she isn't going to use her perfect voice? You missed my point entirely.
She didn't sing in "Precious."

Old 08-26-2013, 08:29 AM

584 posts, read 871,297 times
this movie was excellent. It's a must see for people who would like to learn about black working class people experiences from the 1950's to present. I enjoyed the entire movie. all of the actors were phenominal.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:38 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,999,699 times
Haven't seen the movie yet, but I have an interesting story.

There's a guy who sells "bootleg" DVD and demos out of a fast food restaurant (yeah, I know...), and he previously sold a Butler demo to another guy.
That same customer came in the place today, and Mr. DVD said, "I've got The Butler on demo. Wanna see it?"
The guy good-naturedly said, "Nah, man! I bought that from you, and somebody got up and walked across the screen in it!"
Mr. DVD sheepishly said, "Well, I can't help if they had to go to the bathroom."

Old 08-26-2013, 09:31 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile Not entirely true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BU191433 View Post
I thought it was an OK movie.

But I thought it was a true story. Later found out it is not, No such person as Cecil. There was a guy who was a White House Butler for 35 years, but he was single, so none of the personal story is based on a true story .

Lessened the enjoyment of the movie after knowing this
I saw the movie and like the above, I thought it was totally true, however, I did found out some of the details were enhanced. The butler was Eugene Allen and he passed away in 2010. He was married for 65 years and did have a son.

I thought Oprah was great but I like Oprah. After watching it, I thought that I've lived a sheltered life but I did not spend any time in the South.

Mr. Allen did know about the movie being made.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:36 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile Applause

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
We saw the movie on Saturday and enjoyed it very much. When it was over, the audience applauded.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
They also applauded where I was and I did also. I was embarrassed to think that we treated fellow human beings like that. It was wrong but so is violence of any kind IMO.

It made me think.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:31 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times
good movie, enjoyed it a lot.

Forrest might get himself another oscar.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:10 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
I was disappointed to discover the movie was not based on a true story. Also, I had 'thought' the focus was to be on the butler's existence in the WH, and how he came from nothing and made a good life for himself.

I supposed had I known upfront the movie was mainly to focus on racial issues I would have gone into the theater with a completely different mindset and expectation.

Am not a fan of OW as a person; however, she is a good actress. Her performance in The Color Purple was stellar.

Would I go see it again or buy the DVD: No.

Do I think the movie or any of the acting warrants an Oscar? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies