Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 01:01 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,804 times

Advertisements

So as some may know, I started watching Star Trek, I watched the original series and just finished TNG series which I would watch one star trek movie after each season. Seven seasons, seven movies. The thing is and I don't want to spoil it for anyone that hasn't seen this movie, but I was totally surprised at the end. The fight was good, but how could they end the movie like that? I was kinda sad. I got emotional..I guess after watching all the seasons and then the movies ..its like I came to know these actors and their personalities with each of their characters. They drew me into their world and it was a marvelous experience that I was thankful for. I think I am going to wait a while before I watch Voyager and then I will conclude with Enterprise. Any idea why they ended it the way they did? Are they expecting B4 to get up to speed and be like it was before?

It really is hard to talk about this without spoiling the movie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 01:19 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Yeah, I know what you mean; I didn't like them killing off Data either. And the way the film ended, I just assumed there would be at least one more in the TNG franchise, as I presume the script writers did as well.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:10 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
TNG is by far my favorite Star Trek. I could not sit through Nemesis. Horrible, stupid movie. I never even made it to the end, because the first 40 minutes disgusted me so much that I turned it off.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:25 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,328 times
Ugh, that movie sucked. Even when I saw it in theaters when I was in High School and had crappy taste in movies at that time did I think it was bad. Data's death (can androids technically "die"?) was stupid. The story was credited to three people, Brent Spiner being one of them, and I think he let his ego get the better of him. He was obviously trying to mimic Spock's death from Wrath of Khan, except whereas the former was a very intimate, emotional and powerful moment, this felt forced, contrived and dumb.

I was extremely disappointed, with the exception of First Contact, with how poor the TNG movies were. You could spent weeks debating with Trek fans as to which series was better, but TNG deserved a lot more respect than it got from the screenwriters and directors. Take a look at how "Generations" turned out: you had a background of putting the two captains of the Enterprise (yes, I know that they are different ships) into the same time period, and instead of making it something unique, memorable and overall awesome, they chose to spend most of their time together on horseback, making breakfast in a cabin, and having a very un-suspenseful fight with Malcolm McDowell. Hell, even Kirk's death scene was laughably dumb.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:30 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
I liked Nemesis. Having said that the TNG movies weren't as good, with the exception of First Contact, as most of the original series movies were.

Was it writing? Or was it the difference in the two shows?

As far as another TNG movie went, if I remember correctly the plans were only for 4 anyway. That's why the ending was the way it was, especially with Picard walking to the bridge.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:43 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Give Deep Space Nine a chance too. Its different than the others, but a side of that world the ships that can leave don't see. Sisko has a harder job than Picard since his decisions have to be lived with and the other Captains call sail away and hope for the best.

And the whole Dominion war arc is the best space war I've ever seen. It's not just spaceships exploding but the real toll of a galactic war.

I agree about Nemisis. I didn't much like it. My favorite is Insurrection, one of the few followups to show how much changed to the feds when they had to decide between principals and survival. I also loved First Contact.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:01 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Was it writing?
Yes. You can polish poo, but the best you can hope for is well polished poo. The best directing and acting in the world couldn't have saved this script.

I mean... dune buggies! This is a civilization with transporter beams. A civiliation that has conquered gravity. And they still send the captain down to a planet to drive a freakin' dune buggy. I had Megaforce flashbacks.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies