Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 01:22 AM

278 posts, read 277,301 times

Advertisements

I just realized this film won the Oscar for Best Picture. What's more American than two films about black slavery & space travel. Looking forward to the day the President is Native American so we can hear their story. I know I'm beating a dead horse but how far has Hollywood declined in the past decade? This gets nominated but Passion of the Christ (2005) was not.

The point athithi made is, the movie is receiving praise because of shock value (and IMO guilt) not any sort of cinematic excellence. For example if I simply want the brutal war scenes of WW2 I will watch a documentary. If I want a deeper meaning, I watch (Non-American) films about the event.

Hopefully we are all aware of American slavery and more precisely the individual suffering. It was covered in Middle School social studies and every grade there after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 05:28 AM

43 posts, read 45,555 times
meh, flame me, but this film is irresponsible. Blacks in the US need to stop their victim complex, which is how films as these get made.

If anything the trend started with Amistad and that was long ago now.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:23 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times
Yeah, because as a black man, I feel like such a victim and that everyone owes me something...

Old 03-17-2014, 04:41 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYOU2 View Post
I just realized this film won the Oscar for Best Picture. What's more American than two films about black slavery & space travel. Looking forward to the day the President is Native American so we can hear their story.

Dances with Wolves won best picture in 1991, just saying. And this is without a Native American president.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:18 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
This African-American baby-boomer NEVER considered this terrific film to be a creation of a filmmaker who wished to make a film exploiting victimization; that is a reprehensible and indefensibly asinine mindset for anyone to feel about this film.

I'm extremely delighted that it won the Oscar for best Picture, and hopefully many more of the millions of folks stateside viewing audience who wound up making this Oscar telecast the most-watched TV show since the 2004 series finale of 'Friends' will either head to their local multiplex or buy the DVD and enjoy this exceptional film.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:25 PM

579 posts, read 762,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
This African-American baby-boomer NEVER considered this terrific film to be a creation of a filmmaker who wished to make a film exploiting victimization; that is a reprehensible and indefensibly asinine mindset for anyone to feel about this film.

I'm extremely delighted that it won the Oscar for best Picture, and hopefully many more of the millions of folks stateside viewing audience who wound up making this Oscar telecast the most-watched TV show since the 2004 series finale of 'Friends' will either head to their local multiplex or buy the DVD and enjoy this exceptional film.
Look at box office sales. Viewer isn't fooled

Old 03-23-2014, 05:07 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
I just saw this movie last night. I was looking forward to it, given all the hype and subsequent awards. To be honest, it was ok but not what I was expecting. Slavery was/is abhorrent, but I doubt all slave owners were willing to incapacitate their workers by such savage beatings and whippings on a regular basis, which is what this film would have us believe. No doubt Solomon found himself "owned" by a few real sadistic psychopaths, but too much emphasis was placed on them. The white people were caricatures instead of genuine character studies.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:19 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,416,491 times
The subject of slavery must be kept fresh in the minds of white and black people. Otherwise, no one will care. [sarc]

Old 03-24-2014, 10:20 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
The subject of slavery must be kept fresh in the minds of white and black people. Otherwise, no one will care. [sarc]
I agree, for me, it's always so sad and hard to watch....just saw 12 Years a Slave Yesterday....
I don't know if it is totally factual, however, I'm certain, even if it isn't, it will leave an imprression upon anyone who watches....12 years out of this mans life....what scares me most is, that men could treat other men like that....I know, I know, I'm not naieve, but just how animalistic can humans be? It never ceases to amaze me....

Old 03-24-2014, 10:23 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
I just bought the book on Kindle. I'm really enjoying it. Haven't seen the movie.

I find it hard to believe how people can even mistreat animals so I really can't comprehend how we treat our fellow man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies