Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 10:30 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,591 times

Advertisements

I think Woody is very respected in his field. He's been nominated 21 times for Academy Awards, and has won 3 times.

Woody Allen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As far as the Mia Farrow and Soon-Yi mess goes I couldn't care less. Woody was never married to Mia Farrow and his relationship with Soon-Yi began after she was of legal age.

As far as his movies go I really liked Match Point, which he both wrote and directed. I also liked Mighty Aphrodite and a few of his other films. But I do think he's a much better writer and director than he is an actor.

I'm sure some out there really hate Woody, especially Mia Farrow. But he's certainly no outcast in Hollywood, or New York I guess I should say. He has made quite a name for himself making niche movies, many of which are only released in the "Arts" type movie theaters. With films of that nature, he can pretty much write his own ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 12:46 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Everytime I bring up Woody Allen Movies people make a look of disgust and say "that child molester" and want to discontinue the conversation as quick as possible. Are your opinions the same and do you find him to be a no talent pervert?

I am annoyed by this though because he was never indicted or convicted of child molestation. He is a neurotic and weird looking guy but so what!!? Thats what makes him funny in his movies

Anyways, Woody Allen has been making comedies and dramas for so many years. I actually find his movies to be sophisticated and pretty darn hilarious and zany!

I agree. The man is exceptionally talented, maybe even a genius. I love his work.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:11 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,074 times
Default I hope people remember Jim Croce!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Can I assume you live in Manhatten? What kind of press does he get now a days? Does he get hassled or pretty much ignored by you "yowkers". I saw him years ago with his band in the city and beleive it or not--stand up in chicago suburbs in the 70's. Jim Croce was his opening act (whew-my age is showing, I'll bet no one even remembers him)
He may be before my time, but songs don't get better than 'Bad Bad Leroy Brown' or 'You Don't Mess Around With Jim', in my mind.

As for Woody Allen, I couldn't care less about his personal life. I have only seen some of his movies, but the ones I've seen have been pretty great.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:49 PM

853 posts, read 968,480 times
Default In my opinion, Woody Allen...

is a talented, neurotic, perv... Whether or not he was married to Mia Farrow makes zero difference. For all practical purposes, he was Soon-Yi's step father and had been from the time she was a young girl. I have been remarried since my 24-year-old daughter was 3-years-old. She doesn't understand how any man who is a father figure to a young child could cross that line and I must say I agree with her.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:42 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,936,355 times
I am pretty sure Woody Allen never officially adopted her.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:11 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I am pretty sure Woody Allen never officially adopted her.
you are right, her father was Andre Previn, Mias ex husband who is also the father of "most" of her kids.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:56 AM

1,080 posts, read 4,585,970 times
I never liked his movies and even if they were the greatest movie ever I wouldn't watch it..........I can't stand him, I think he's weird.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:00 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,874 times
I think Woody Allen is awesome but I have to admit that I get sick of his Jewish angst showing up in practically every movie. Get over it for God's sake.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:11 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,229,511 times
I dunno. I often find it hard to separate the artist from the person.
God forbid I'll start to like Hitler’s paintings one day.
But I do think Woody is a genius so I’ll give him some leeway when it comes to him being.......eccentric.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:40 PM

102 posts, read 143,436 times
I try to separate the artist as a person and the artists work as best I can (though in Woody's case sometimes there's a fine line between the two, more so than many filmmakers). So, his personal life doesn't get in the way of how I regard his films. However, over the years, I've gone from being a big fan of his (especially films such as Hannah And Her Sisters, Crimes And Misdemeanors, Husbands And Wives) to now...I have too hard a time getting past his lofty smug intellectualisms and the constant parade of these types of characters with their oh so melodramatic lives...just sort of sickens me these days, can't hardly stand to watch his films anymore to tell you the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies