Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 09:32 AM

19 posts, read 50,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
No, I mean environment, I mean children turn out the way parents raise them. Unfortunately, today for many, the thugs on the street corner and the television have more to say about how children are raised than parents do. Especially in one parent families where the parent spends 8 to 10 hours on the job and another hour or two commuting back and forth to work.

I just think there is no substitute for a mother or father instilling values in their child. It's become popular to say it takes a village to raise a child. Well, I disagree with that. It takes a parent to raise a child. Sure after school programs and such are a good way to kill time for latch key kids. But there is no substitute for a parent raising, teaching, and guiding his or her child.

If one wants their child to grow up sitting in front of the TV chain smoking and getting drunk every night then the easiest way to ensure it happens is to let them see you yourself do it every night as they grow up. Children learn from a very early age by observing. They listen and see much more than we frequently give them credit for. So when the children see violent video games and movies over and over after a while it desensitizes them to violence.

It all comes down to environment. Let me give you an example, it's antidotal, so it's not the best way to make my point but I'll use it anyway. Have you ever seen or even heard of an Amish kid taking a gun to school and shooting someone? Probably not. It's all in the way they're raised. So it's not just the violent movies, but they are certainly part of the picture. And there is no golden rule that applies to everyone. Parents can do everything right and still have a child that grows up to be a violent terror.

Would it surprise me to find out we have a gene that contributes to violence? No, heck there probably is one. But I'd think that would be the exception rather than the rule, and with proper care and upbringing children will turn out responsible non-violent adults.
You use the Amish people as an example so let me piggy back on that. I'm not that familiar with the Amish community like that, but I think they work together as a community to make sure that their children and the community as a whole are taken care of. They have certain values and morals that they all agree upon. So if a child's parent had to work 9 to 10 hours a day I'm pretty sure there will be somebody in the community to pick up the slack and be just as loving and nurturing as the parent would be. This is why it does take a village to raise a child. It works better that way, somebody have to support the family and if there is only one parent around should they all starve so the parent can raise the child. You can't have it both ways, and if someone decides that they want to raise their child and get public assistance, they are then labeled as lazy. So what do you suggest? I say do like the Amish help and support one another, and stop pumping our children with so much violence, negativity and sugar, but thats another issue. It takes a whole society to raise a positive nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 01:09 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
I think violent video games are more likely a culprit, cause you are involved in the actual killing. There is no reset button when you get shot in real life.

But I do think that kids can be de-sensitized to it, there are too many hyper violent subject matter films out there. I won't see them, have been known to walk out of theatres because of it. But there is a market for them.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:38 PM

19 posts, read 50,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I think violent video games are more likely a culprit, cause you are involved in the actual killing. There is no reset button when you get shot in real life.

But I do think that kids can be de-sensitized to it, there are too many hyper violent subject matter films out there. I won't see them, have been known to walk out of theatres because of it. But there is a market for them.
I agree it is so sad that they target children with such violence.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:59 PM

520 posts, read 1,853,726 times
I think it is ridiculous to blame video games, TV shows, and movies for violence in society. Blame parents. Parents shouldn't let kids watch that crap or play violent video games until they are the appropriate age. Its the parents' responsibility.

Millions of people have grown up on these games and movies and we don't have millions of murderers running around. Messed up people do messed up things, video games or not.

I don't buy the "desensitization" argument either.

Movies and video games are a convenient scapegoat but the real problem is that parents don't take care of their kids.

Last edited by WeeMadArthur; 11-21-2007 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-29-2007, 12:49 PM

130 posts, read 147,105 times
Growing up my friends and I would watch movies like "Terminator" and "Predator" on a daily basis. This never turned any of us into murderers. I don't even think any of us ever got into any fights. I think a lack of parental supervision or witnessing violence in real life is more to blame.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:58 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMadArthur View Post
I think it is ridiculous to blame video games, TV shows, and movies for violence in society. Blame parents. Parents shouldn't let kids watch that crap or play violent video games until they are the appropriate age. Its the parents' responsibility.
This is exactly right.
My parents didn't allow me to watch violent movies when I was very young.
But I always wanted to and now I do regularly.
I also play violent video games like GTA - but only since I've been an adult - and I haven't killed anybody in real life.
Well, a few people - but I always hit the reset button right afterwards so everything is fine, right?

Old 11-30-2007, 03:36 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Originally Posted by b. frank
Quote:
Well, a few people - but I always hit the reset button right afterwards so everything is fine, right?
As long as you know that movies and video games aren't reality, I see nothing wrong with it.
But I do believe that not everything is appropriate for (young) children.
They tend to get carried away, which might cause them to loose themselves in their make believe world (or their over imaginative inquiring young minds).
They need firm parenting to show them what is real and what is not.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:12 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by b. frank As long as you know that movies and video games aren't reality, I see nothing wrong with it.
But I do believe that not everything is appropriate for (young) children.
They tend to get carried away, which might cause them to loose themselves in their make believe world (or their over imaginative inquiring young minds).
They need firm parenting to show them what is real and what is not.
I agree that at a certain age that stuff is okay.
My younger brothers had cap guns and shot each other.
My younger son plays Halo. But he didn't play it at 8 years old.
Look at televised sports.
NFL football--that is plenty real and anyone who watches it has seen the harm that can come from getting hit hard.
And that violence is real.link
My high school boyfriend told me that when he played as a younger boy, his coach would reward the kids who hit hardest.
Don't get me started on hockey. My brother played that sport.
I do think that some human beings enjoy the violence and find it cathartic.
Some just enjoy it more than others.
South Park did a great bit on video games, the one about World of Warcraft.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:22 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Originally Posted by cil
Quote:
NFL football--that is plenty real and anyone who watches it has seen the harm that can come from getting hit hard.
And that violence is real.link
I agree.
And concerning the violence I only have 2 words to say: Portmanteau Nipplegate which occurred during Super Bowl XXXVIII.
I mean, is an exposed pierced nipple worth that much public 'outrage' or media coverage?
And a gruesome sports accident on the playing field is just accepted as 'normal'?

source: Super Bowl XXXVIII halftime show controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-30-2007, 05:19 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
Folks, this topic is about referring violent films, not critiquing them or the super bowl.

Back to the topic, please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies