Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 09:48 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,011 times

Advertisements

Seems to me that usually DVDs that offer an "Alternate Ending" rarely turn out to be much of an alternate. Maybe there is an extra line or something. But basically the end doesn't change, it's just presented differently.
Without spoiling it, in case you haven't seen it, I'll say that I just watched Rocky Balboa on DVD and then I checked out the alternate ending, and it was actually a different ending.
Are there any other movies that have an actual alternate ending on the DVD/BluRay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 06:44 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
Hell in the Pacific (1968).

Old 12-04-2013, 01:14 AM

1,808 posts, read 3,189,800 times
Dodgeball

Old 12-05-2013, 09:49 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times
Fatal Attraction: alternate ending was that Dan got arrested because Alex was found dead. His finger
prints were all over the apartment, especially that knife. His wife was looking for the lawyers phone number
and found Alex's tape.

I Am Legend: They had 2 dvd's each with a different ending. One where Robert Neville's (Will Smith)
lab explodes and the other where he leaves with the woman and child to the survivors colony.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:39 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Imho, alternate ending to "I Am Legend" was way better than the original one:

I Am Legend the Other Ending - YouTube

Old 12-06-2013, 03:49 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,163,440 times
The Butterfly Effect. I won't spoil it, but the alternate ending is very different from the original. The biggest surprise of the movie is that Ashton Kutchner was really good in it.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:34 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
Not to many have replied to determine any 'statistics'.
But I find it interesting that so far, those who have mentioned a different alternate ending, liked the ending better than what was cut into the final production.
What is interesting is that before movies are released, they have a test audience that is given a card to fill out about what they liked and didn't like. One of the questions is about how it ends. Now I am not sure if the alternate ending and what would be the final ending are both viewed (for different audiences), but what ever the test audience says determines what ending will be used.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:30 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Not to many have replied to determine any 'statistics'.
But I find it interesting that so far, those who have mentioned a different alternate ending, liked the ending better than what was cut into the final production.

What is interesting is that before movies are released, they have a test audience that is given a card to fill out about what they liked and didn't like. One of the questions is about how it ends. Now I am not sure if the alternate ending and what would be the final ending are both viewed (for different audiences), but what ever the test audience says determines what ending will be used.
I think when the ending is really rated really unsatisfactory another one is then filmed. When Legally Blonde was first tested, I think it ended with the courtroom scene victory, but audiences wanted to see her graduate. The actual graduation scene was filmed much later in England, since that's where the actress was working at the time! But in this case, an ending wasn't changed for another one, the film was just extended.

I've been trying to find info on something I'd heard about, but I think I'm mixing up films. In The Hand That Rocks the Cradle, the mother was actually killed by the ex-nanny, but test-audiences demanded that she survive. At least I think it was this film.

And I'm also trying to remember a film that was based on a murder-mystery play - the audience in both cases somehow voted on who they thought they killer was, and then they were shown that ending. The DVD would have all 3 (or so) endings.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:24 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
The Avengers had a different beginning and ending. Basically Maria Hill was questioned about the New York invasion and was recalling the events and then said that they did what was right. Then she told Nick Fury that she sold him up the river and went into the same end scene where she asked when will we get the Avengers back together. This of course was different than the original where Fury was the one getting questioned.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:37 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
The Butterfly Effect. I won't spoil it, but the alternate ending is very different from the original. The biggest surprise of the movie is that Ashton Kutchner was really good in it.
Which one was the alternate ending? I just rewatched it today for the first time in years and I was blown away by the ending on this one. I think everyone has seen this movie now, so go ahead and spoil us and please, someone, tell me which ending was original.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies