Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 11:22 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,588 times

Advertisements

I just ordered it from Amazon along with 12 Years a Slave.

After watching the Oscars and reading reviews I figured both are worth the purchase. I don't often buy unseen movies but 90+ % on Rotten Tomatoes is good enough for me... LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 08:32 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Great, I have been noticing it in the Redbox......guess I will give it a try.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:26 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Great, I have been noticing it in the Redbox......guess I will give it a try.
We rented the DVD last week at the Redbox. Very good movie, so typical of the people and the area of the country. Good story line, actors, and filming.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:35 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
We rented the DVD last week at the Redbox. Very good movie, so typical of the people and the area of the country. Good story line, actors, and filming.
Agreed, it really captured the way many people, especially older people of that region talk and behave.
The scene in the bar where Stacy Keach is laughing at Bruce Dern was a devastating scene. One of the best in the movie.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:39 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
I liked the scene where they drove to the farm to steal the air compressor and found out it was the wrong farm.

And of course the ending scene driving the new truck through town was great as well. The son truly made his father happy as they left Lincoln to return back home.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:27 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
I got around to seeing it, while it was good I don't see what all the hype was about. I get the whole son and father dynamic but it wasn't an award winning movie IMO.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:41 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
If I went to, say, a Korean movie about Korean shopkeepers...Koreans might be
rolling on the floor and I would be going, "Huh?"

Rural people are a diff breed...then older rural people, mixed with younger small town
hicks going nowhere at a hardware store job...is funny to well..., rural people who identify with it,
Imo. I understand why many were not so impressed, for sure...

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 03-28-2014 at 03:51 PM..

Old 03-30-2014, 03:06 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
I haven't seen but I did hear one tv reviewer give the opposite opinion of what has been said here. I think he was asked - if there was one of the Academy nominees you couldn't fit in to see and had to skip which would it be? And he said Nebraska because while it was good he was from the rural Midwest and he thought it was an unfairly negative view and made the rural midwest look stupid an that irritated him. So....IDK, maybe the movie does portray rural areas accurately but I thought it was cool he was sticking up for them. If you've left a rural because you didn't like it maybe that's why it resonates for you. But for some of us, while these things may be true, we still love it more than big cities which also have their issues. I don't hear people reference big city moves in terms of how the express big city problems vs. other areas. Not sure why people are doing that here about rural areas.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:41 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I'm so glad more people are seeing it.
As I think I said...it is extra great when you know about old people, and rural life.

His son was so patient and loving, wasn't he? Stacy Keach had a great "bastard" part.
And it is so full of feeling that 50-60 years can go by, but you really don't
ever forget the love you had for a young man (boy) once.

It just had so much human simple warmth...and comedy and human ignorance...
Another thumbs up for this film. Simple story and well acted. Agree that Stacy Keach,
June Squibb did a great job as well as Bruce Dern and Will Forte (but I kept thinking of
the "Falconer"- lol)

Old 03-31-2014, 05:32 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Hi Giesela,
There have been so many movies about city life, city people, people moving
to the city and people escaping the cities, imo.

Oh sure, there are 'some' people that don't fall into the rural American life
as portrayed in Nebraska. That's always a given...there are never any absolutes.

One thing the director didn't get right, imo, is usually in a town of a couple thousand
there would be 10 bars or taverns. A town of 4-5000? Ours had 19. Really...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies