Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 08:23 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post

Hell, she did a lot better than I would though, so props to her. Plus maybe she picked up accents from moving around so much in the past few hundred years
That could probably also explain David Boreanaz' terrible "Irish" accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 03:59 PM

8,314 posts, read 13,444,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
But holy smokes...I didn't know Cliff Curtis was a Kiwi...I LOVE HIM...been watching him for years and thought he's such a chameleon...he really can transform to be anything he wants. I actually just saw a kind of crappy movie with great actors recently...where the ship takes over and kills the crew with Donald Sutherland, Jamie Lee Curtis etc. I saw Cliff Curtis with long hair and wild tattoos and thought...he looks GOOD. I digress...great actor.
I first noticed him in the crappy Arnold flick Collateral Damage and seriously mistook him for South American.
Dang! You are right, he is like a chameleon.

Quote:
Viggo is from Manhattan...are you referring to his distinct NY accent that he hides or something else?

Anyway, love this thread...
I always heard he was Danish or Norwegian, etc. but just looked it up and realized he is only half Danish but lived all over, including Argentina. It really is stupid to say he is Danish like he was born on raised there which is not even remotely true. He is 50% Danish, born in NY and raised in Argentina and US as well as few other places. He is an American actor, simple as that.

Anyhow, you are right, I meant his distinct NY accent!

Old 01-12-2014, 11:50 AM

120 posts, read 212,650 times
Peter Sarsgaard in "An Education".

Old 01-12-2014, 12:31 PM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
It seems that when the part of a British character must be played and the role is filled by an American actor they always fall far short on the accent. I can only think of one American actor who did a halfway decent Scottish and slightly British accent ever, and even it had areas for improvement, but Tom Hanks in Cloud Atlas did surprise me.

But really, what is the deal here? American actors can't fake a British accent? They're supposed to be actors, professionals, should be able to mimic such a widely known and acclaimed accent.

What's even more upsetting is the number of British actors who can do an American accent perfectly! Christian Bale played Batman! His accent was spot on, I never would have known. Hughe Laurie in House, Gary Oldman, Sam Neil, Hugh Jackman (Australian, but still).

So really, what's up with this? Are there any American actors who can do good British accents?
In terms of British Actors doing American accents Hugh Laurie, Christian Bale, Daniel Day Lewis etc are very goof charachter actors.

Whilst in recent years Dominic West (The Wire), Damien Lewis (Homeland), Andrew Lincoln (The Walking Dead) and Laura Punch (Bad Teacher) have all managed convincing American accents despite being British.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies