Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2013, 08:12 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,960 times

Advertisements

It seems back in the 1950s and up until recently Hollywood movies were a world wide phenomenon. It seemed that Hollywood was on top of the movie industry worldwide. What is the situation now. Doesn't China and India have there own movie industries that give top notch productions. I think India does. But are they international like the U.S. move industry is(or was).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 07:19 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Who knows? A lot of countries and regions have their own movies, and their governments have even taken steps to protect the home industries. So the way Hollywood movies can be distributed may be limited. I think this is done in China. A lot of countries have wised up and realized that local actors and filmmakers also need to make money.

Nigeria has had Nollywood for a very long time. The movies are popular all over Africa. An internet search indicates that Nollywood is the 2nd biggest industry in the world. Probably in terms of dolalrs.

Bollywood
- Is one of the biggest industries, probably by dollar value since the population is large. Much like Nigeria's population. Bollywood also exports these movies to the Middle East and Asia. Or at least people watch them on the internet. Someone must be translation them, though.

Egypt - In spite of their troubles, I think Egypt still has one of the biggest movie industries in the world. The movies are popular all over the Middle East. Again, Egypt is another populous country.

A lot of people like Hollywood films, but also like to see movies with a variety of people in the cast. No offense...not just stereotypes that are rampant in Hollywood movies. There is a lot of acting and film talent as well in those countries. They can tell stories that are interesting, sexy, funny etc and with characters people like and can identify with just like Hollywood films.

I don't generally watch Hollywood movies, and I haven't in a long time. Although I do LOVE some movies. Not all blacks are slaves or want to watch a movie about slavery (yawn, no offense) or having some sort of negative and untrue stereotype. I guess it is fun for others, but not for me. I felt like Hollywood was trying to ruin my life and reputation.

I think people who watch movies produced by other industries just do it because the movies are good. If it is not entertaining, I don't think anybody will watch it.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:16 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,648,730 times
Default exportable

every country has movie/tv/music stars but very few can export them, their culture is too specific.look at japan, they are very good at exporting products, who doesnt have a japanese product around their house, but name me a japanese tv show or movie you have seen in the past ten years.there is something about american culture that is very exportable.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:37 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
When I visited France and the Philippines many American films were popular in the movie theaters and in dvds.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:53 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
It seems back in the 1950s and up until recently Hollywood movies were a world wide phenomenon. It seemed that Hollywood was on top of the movie industry worldwide. What is the situation now. Doesn't China and India have there own movie industries that give top notch productions. I think India does. But are they international like the U.S. move industry is(or was).
yes, China, India, Japan and some countries in Europe have top notch film & TV industries, but they're still not as popular internationally as American films from Hollywood. American (and British and Canadian) actors and actresses are still the biggest international stars - the top 10 biggest grossing actors in 2013 are still all from Hollywood movies, and the US is still the biggest international box office by far.

And, TV in Hollywood is churning out of its best creative material ever - Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Homeland, American Horror Story, etc.

I think China and India have the potential to overtake the US in the long-term, but I don't see it happening in the next decade or so. (The Chinese versions of The Voice and The Bachelor are two of the top shows there - when Hollywood regularly starts remaking Chinese shows, you'll know things are changing...but Chinese TV drama & comedy still has a ways to go, and their shows run differently than here as well.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies