Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 04:04 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,653,909 times

Advertisements

I never have but just saw More Than Blue on Amazon Prime and just can't stop feeling it. It is a beautiful love story with a twist ending, (must watch through the ending credits) and I am looking forward to more Korean films now.
Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 08:11 AM

483 posts, read 869,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
I never have but just saw More Than Blue on Amazon Prime and just can't stop feeling it. It is a beautiful love story with a twist ending, (must watch through the ending credits) and I am looking forward to more Korean films now.
Any recommendations?
Finally, people are interested in South Korean cinema. I have been telling friends about them for years.

Latest entries to my recommendation list includes:

1. The Berlin File- Director Ryoo Seung-wan will hopefully soon blow up in Hollywood !
2. A Bittersweet Life
3. The Host
4. My Sassy Girl
5. Welcome to Dongmakgol
6. Secretly, Greatly
7. The Good, The Bad, & The Weird
8. Crying Fist
9. The King and The Clown
10. Princess Aurora

Happy hunting and keep enjoying South Korean cinema. Watch these before Hollywood makes terrible remakes.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:18 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,331,295 times
I'm a HUGE Chinese and Korean movie fan. Been watching them for over a decades now. Here are my top list Korean movie. One of my favorite Korean actress is Ye-jin Son from The Classics and A Moment to Remember.

If you enjoy More Than Blue, here are some of the MUST WATCH Korean Films:

Must Watch Love/Drama/Tear Jerkers:

1.) The Classic: Hands down, my favorite love story of ALL TIME. You can buy DVD on Amazon or Ebay.
2.) A Moment to Remember: Tied with The Classic as my # 1 Korean Movie. Netflix stream or Amazon Prime.
3.) Daisy-Netflix stream
4.) Werewolf Boy-Netflix stream.
5.) A Millionaire's First Love- DVD on ebay.
6.) Sad Movie-Netflix stream
7.) Sunny- Netflix stream
8.) Lover's Concetro- DVD on ebay.

Action Korean Movies: All these movies are on Netflix stream.

The Tower
The Man From Nowhere
New World
The War of the Arrows
The Sword with No Name
Rainbow Eyes
No Mercy
I Saw the Devil
Oldboy
Front Line

Tae Guk Gi-DVD on ebay or amazon.

There's also a strong following for Korean TV Drama series but I don't know to many of them since they do take time to watch them. If you are interested in them, let me know, I can ask my sister for her favorites. The only two shows that I watched:

Chuno
The Emperor of the Sea.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:49 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,049,410 times
I've long been a fan of Korean cinema. The Korean film industry isn't as large as that of China or Bollywood, but I think the quality is significantly better. For those familiar with the family-oriented nature of most Korean TV dramas, the movies from Korea often contain intense scenes of violence and strong sexual content. They also delve into a far richer set of human experiences.

Kim Ki-Duk is probably the director who has achieved the most fame outside of Korea. His movies are usually very controversial, and his style is an acquired taste. Three of his movies which I think stand out are:

Bad Guy--about a pimp who becomes romantically obsessed with an innocent young woman

Time--which takes on the South Korean penchant for plastic surgery

Dream--about two strangers whose dreams become interlaced

All of the films mentioned by others are well worth looking into, among them:

Welcome to Dongmakgol is a unique blend of idealistic fantasy with the realities of war.

Sad Movie has a level of human warmth that is uncommon for Korean cinema. Hard to come away from this one without crying

Oldboy is a revenge thriller that has rightfully achieved cult status (Spike Lee recently filmed a disappointing American remake)

Some movies not yet mentioned that I think are worth looking at:

Hwang Jin-Yi--a biography of one of the most famous women in Korean history. Song Hye-Kyo plays the title role.

Paju-- deals with the complex relationship between two sisters and one man

Failan--looks at how an arranged marriage affects an illegal Chinese immigrant and the two-bit gang member who was paid to act as her husband, even though the two never even meet.

Antarctic Journal--a group of Antarctic explorers battle their own personal demons

Punch Lady--about an abused woman who takes up boxing

Muoi--an atmospheric Vietnamese co-production about a ghost.

Hansel and Gretel--the adults and kids are reversed in this version

No Doubt--a man with a past is incorrectly assumed to be a child molester

Howling--a detective thriller with a bunch of unusual twists

Silenced--about the cover up of child abuse at a Korean school, and the inequities of Korea's legal system

Aein (The Intimate Lover)--this isn't a very well known movie and wasn't theatrically released outside of Asia, but it's one of my favorite Korean movies. The movie takes place in one day, and looks at a casual sexual encounter which slowly becomes something far more emotional. The two leads (Seong Hyun-ah and Cho Dong-Hyuk) have an amazing chemistry with one another, as we watch how their characters react differently to the growing intimacy of the relationship.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:52 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,653,909 times
Thank you all so much for all the suggestions!

Old 01-11-2014, 08:13 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernski View Post
Finally, people are interested in South Korean cinema. I have been telling friends about them for years.

Latest entries to my recommendation list includes:

1. The Berlin File- Director Ryoo Seung-wan will hopefully soon blow up in Hollywood !
2. A Bittersweet Life
3. The Host
4. My Sassy Girl
5. Welcome to Dongmakgol
6. Secretly, Greatly
7. The Good, The Bad, & The Weird
8. Crying Fist
9. The King and The Clown
10. Princess Aurora

Happy hunting and keep enjoying South Korean cinema. Watch these before Hollywood makes terrible remakes.
I own a copy of The Host. I'm sure I've seen several other Korean films, but, I'm terrible with titles, so memory doesn't serve me well. I watched a film on Red Box last recently, but the name of that one escapes me. It was about a woman who's husband became an amputee due to his service during the war and how she serviced his needs. Rather sad movie.

OOPS! I just looked it up, not a Korean film. This is why I'm so bad with foreign film recall titles and such. The film was a Japanese film titled "Caterpillar"

An amazingly true and extremely heart wrenching movie, I do recall is "Silenced" but, not produced by a Korean company (Actually a Cambodian region) and is one of my all time favorites, The Killing Fields.

Last edited by TRosa; 01-11-2014 at 08:35 AM..

Old 01-11-2014, 05:07 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
There is one I have seen on several occasions. Do not recall the title but the plot is current day where a small time crook and a police officer team up to solve a crime. Very well done.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:51 AM

948 posts, read 1,138,609 times
I totally agree... I started watching Korean movies lately through Netflix and I loved it...I recommend browsing through Netflix and they will give you recommendations based on your selections.. I watched 'More than Blue' as well and loved it...My fav actresses are Ye Jin Son and Ha Neul Kim. I recommend watching the TV Show "Gentleman's Dignity', its like the Korean version of 'Sex and the city'. It's only 20 episodes though, 1 hour long each.I just finished watching it last night.... I loved it... Now I need to find a new one..

By the way, I am Indian and these movies are way better than those Bollywood craps they make lately...I quit watching bollywood movies a long time ago.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:58 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,331,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
I totally agree... I started watching Korean movies lately through Netflix and I loved it...I recommend browsing through Netflix and they will give you recommendations based on your selections.. I watched 'More than Blue' as well and loved it...My fav actresses are Ye Jin Son and Ha Neul Kim. I recommend watching the TV Show "Gentleman's Dignity', its like the Korean version of 'Sex and the city'. It's only 20 episodes though, 1 hour long each.I just finished watching it last night.... I loved it... Now I need to find a new one..

By the way, I am Indian and these movies are way better than those Bollywood craps they make lately...I quit watching bollywood movies a long time ago.
. Agreed. I enjoy watching her movies.

Wow! I remember the old days when my mom and sister was so into Bollywood but now they both have converted to Korean movies.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:05 PM

948 posts, read 1,138,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
. Agreed. I enjoy watching her movies.

Wow! I remember the old days when my mom and sister was so into Bollywood but now they both have converted to Korean movies.
Yeap... Bollywood movies are so predictable and lame....I need to learn Korean, it's hard to keep reading the subtitles through the end...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies