Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 07:21 AM

4,720 posts, read 15,570,618 times

Advertisements

We watched Fargo the other nite and really enjoyed it again ,so went to theater to see their new movie. I found it a snooze fest. Am I not hip enough or was anyone else disappointed and bored? I think if I saw it at home, vs paying at a theater might have made a difference. They are indeed interesting filmakers but what am I missing with this one.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 06:04 AM

4,720 posts, read 15,570,618 times
No one? Lol
I should have known since we were the only ones In the theater On a Saturday afternoon.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:29 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,247,451 times
I love the Cohen Bros...but nothing has compelled me to see this movie.
Thanks for your input.
Fave CB movie...Fargo...so much taken from Blood Simple, my other fave.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:44 AM

668 posts, read 990,793 times
I don't think you're alone there. I typically enjoy the Cohen brothers' work, but didn't think very highly of this one. I thought stylistically they did a great job at capturing the look and feel of 60's folk-era NYC, but they didn't have anything for their characters to do in the world they created. The most similar of their other films I can think of is A Serious Man, which was one of my favorite movies of 2009. In both, you have a lead character who is beset by a growing mountain of personal crises, some of their own doing and others not. However, A Serious Man had a deep religious undercurrent that turned the story into a test of spiritual faith which somehow made his personal character failures relatable, if not understandable. That angle is missing in Llewyn Davis, so that the main character just comes across as being an unlikeable jerk. The ending may have been intended to give the film some deeper purpose, but it just comes across as forced and out of line with what came before it. Ultimately I didn't understand the point of its inclusion. All that being said, it had a good soundtrack.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:33 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,034,053 times
I just saw it tonight ... Fast forwarded through most of it ... What a waste of time.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:39 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,635,405 times
I didn't even like "Fargo." Their style just doesn't appeal to me.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:36 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,592,143 times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Coun..._Old_Men_(film) better than the book "though unusually faithful to the book". Great film, I thought.

O Brother, Where Art Thou? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia One of the best movies ever and could only have been done properly by the Coen brothers.

I liked Fargo very much.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:44 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,546,431 times
Guess I'm atypical because I got it via Netflix yesterday and LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED it!!! (That's 5 loves.) Much better than any of the award winners of last year, I thought.

The guy who played the main character was incredibly good; completely believable. And I think this was the wonderful John Goodman's best role ever - that haircut!!!

The Cohen brothers must have an Odyssey fixation, and are working it out on film.

This movie will be appreciated by those who love character studies, road movies, Americana, and cats.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:52 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,170,170 times
Loved the era's music and thought
I would go till I watched he trailers. The main character seemed so unlikeable in just that short amount of view time I backpedaled. I liked Fargo and and uh...the one where George Clooney sings. But I don't LURRRVE their stuff. It depends greatly.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:53 PM

99,119 posts, read 4,471,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Guess I'm atypical because I got it via Netflix yesterday and LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED it!!! (That's 5 loves.) Much better than any of the award winners of last year, I thought.

The guy who played the main character was incredibly good; completely believable. And I think this was the wonderful John Goodman's best role ever - that haircut!!!

The Cohen brothers must have an Odyssey fixation, and are working it out on film.

This movie will be appreciated by those who love character studies, road movies, Americana, and cats.
I agree. I really enjoyed it. Oscar Isaac was outstanding as Llewyn Davis and John Goodman was terrific. Oh yes...and I loved the cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies