Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 05:59 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,045,575 times

Advertisements

The Rescuers
The Cat From Outer Space
Benji
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 08:28 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
where the boys are(saw only 50% of the movie--at the drive in-lol)
Have you ever seen Where the Boys Are 84? Hilariously bad!

Old 02-06-2013, 10:00 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,228,525 times

Jason and the Argonauts (1963) Trailer - YouTube ~ We saw it at the drive-in, and I fell in love with it, a love that has remained for all of these years. Since I learned to read at 4 years old (my wonderful parents!), I've been reading mythologies of the world, with Greek myths being my favorite. So, to see them come to life like this was so wonderful! I've been a lifelong fan of stop-motion animation without knowing what it was for many years. The top artist is Ray Harryhausen, who learned this from Willis O'Brien, the man who brought King Kong to life in the Thirties.

Three Lives of Thomasina Trailer - YouTube ~ My younger sister and I deeply loved this film because we always have loved cats. She died two years ago, and watching "Thomasina" from Disney (with Walt assuring quality) always takes me back to when we first saw it then, when it was re-released, went back to see it together. Who cares if the cat keeps changing? A child either doesn't notice or doesn't care. We simply enjoyed it.

13 Ghosts (1960) (Part 1/8) - YouTube ~ I remember going to the theater with my family and wearing those dopey glasses with the red and blue cellophane lenses; I don't think this was supposed to be 3D; instead, it was some William Castle gimmick so that you could see the ghosts more clearly. I was a suspicious and curious little girl, so I left them off several times, discovering that I could see the ghosts just fine. But, maybe seeing them in color was a tad more interesting.

Darby O'Gill and the Little People (Part 1) - YouTube ~ Here's another Walt Disney movie that's a family favorite. We're a good part Irish, so it has a place in our hearts. I can remember my sister and I singing and dancing on the way to the car. I still love "Pretty Irish Girl", and this remains my favorite St. Patrick's Day movie. Sean Connery *sigh*

Tobor the Great (1954) trailer - YouTube ~ I saw this film when I was 4 years old, and it's my first clear movie memory, when I understood what movies were all about. I was desperate to see it and worried myself into a fever that my father wouldn't get home in time to take us to the drive-in. My understanding parents decided to go though I was ill; they knew how much I wanted to see this movie. It's one more that holds a place in my heart. Thanks to "Forbidden Planet" and "The Invisible Kid" (in which Robby "stars"), robots were a craze in the Fifties. Thanks to my dad, I was an avid science fiction fan who was welcomed at birth by a bevy of classics I had to wait to see: "The Day the Earth Stood Still", "The Thing from Another World" and "When Worlds Collide".

King Kong Trailer (1933) - YouTube ~ Yes, "King Kong" (1933) means a lot in my childhood memories. You see, in early Fifties television, there was so little programming that they frequently filled time with lots of old movies. My sister and I must have watched films such as "Donovan's Brain", "Caltiki the Immortal Monster", "The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms", "Beast of Hollow Mountain" and good ol' "King Kong" dozens of times because they would air a film four or five times throughout the week. I can recall several times when my sister and I were visiting my maternal grandparents that "King Kong" was shown. We'd sit on the floor in their living room with our cousins and watched it there at least three times, perhaps more. To this day, I watch the movie and its sequel, "Son of Kong", nearly every month.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:25 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,230,916 times
Born Free

Wizard of Oz

Cinderella (the real one with Leslie Ann Warren and Celeste Holm)

The Grome Mobile (loved Walter Brennan)

Old 02-08-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
Born Free

Wizard of Oz

Cinderella (the real one with Leslie Ann Warren and Celeste Holm)

The Grome Mobile (loved Walter Brennan)
My family never missed that one! I still remember it vividly. My sister and I remained LAW fans up to the present. I'd love to see it again, but the faces and voices are impressed in my memory. I used to play double keyboard organ, and I bought the music book and learned all of the songs. I definitely should try some of them on my bowed psaltery.

As for "The Wizard of Oz": My younger sister and I were about 5 and 7, respectively, when it began airing. So, yes, I agree that it was one that defined childhood.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:09 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times

Debbie Reynolds - Tammy - YouTube Tammy I think sticks in my mind the most..... as well as Calamity Jane..... Ill Cry Tomorrow with Susan Hayward and Random Harvest with Greer Garson.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post

Debbie Reynolds - Tammy - YouTube Tammy I think sticks in my mind the most..... as well as Calamity Jane..... Ill Cry Tomorrow with Susan Hayward and Random Harvest with Greer Garson.

What a lovely song that is! I learned to play it on my bowed psaltery. When I play it for people, they know it sounds familiar but never can recall where they've heard it. Of course, many haven't seen the movie or heard the song for a very long time. I'm fond of the "Tammy" movies, so it's always been a popular song in our family. I even have the 45 rpm record still.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:47 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
Foxes with Jodie foster.
I lived this life as a teen.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:05 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,230,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystMoonstruck View Post
My family never missed that one! I still remember it vividly. My sister and I remained LAW fans up to the present. I'd love to see it again, but the faces and voices are impressed in my memory. I used to play double keyboard organ, and I bought the music book and learned all of the songs. I definitely should try some of them on my bowed psaltery.

As for "The Wizard of Oz": My younger sister and I were about 5 and 7, respectively, when it began airing. So, yes, I agree that it was one that defined childhood.
Both were only on once a year. I remember on my 8th or 9th birthday Cinderella was on...I was so excited watching it, eating chocolate pudding in my pajamas.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:19 AM

224 posts, read 356,799 times
Titanic was a really big deal for me.

Nutty Professor (Eddie Murphy version)

Toy Story series

Mean Girls was the last movie I ever bought on VHS

Cats Don't Dance

Pippy Long-stocking (animated version)

Bambi

The Little Mermaid

The Rugrats movie...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies