Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 10:37 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times

Advertisements

How many of the Best Picture nominated films have you seen? What are your thoughts so far?

• American Hustle - The movie itself didn't do a whole lot for me, but many of the performance were outstanding, most notably Christian Bale and JLaw
  • Captain Philips - Good movie, though not the best. Tom Hanks' was strong throughout, particularly at the end of the film.
  • Dallas Buyers Club - McConaughey mostly annoys me at this point, so it's hard for me to take any of his projects seriously. Leto was the best part of the film.
  • Gravity - I was nauseous 15 minutes in, and I guess that spoiled my mood for the rest of the film. For all the floating through space, I was hoping for a bigger payoff at the end.
  • Her - Liked this a lot more than I thought I would. Took some time to process it all though. Definitely the "deepest" of all the Oscar films I've seen, and makes you think.
  • Philomena - Good movie, moving story. Could have gone the route of eviscerating the Catholic Church, but didn't. I enjoyed this film, but it's at the bottom of the pack in terms of the Oscar.
  • Nebraska - Haven't seen this one yet.
  • 12 Years a Slave - Haven't seen this one yet either, though it's the one I'm most looking forward to.
  • Wolf of Wall Street - Hated this film. I think someone in another thread called it Gordon Gekko meets Cheech & Chong, and I agree with that assessment. It was an hour and a half too long, and ridiculously over the top. If I had been subjected to one more crazed, chest thumping (literally) locker room-esque office scene, I would have walked out. There were about eight too many of those (or maybe it just seemed that way).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 01:46 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
How many of the Best Picture nominated films have you seen? What are your thoughts so far?

American Hustle - The movie itself didn't do a whole lot for me, but many of the performance were outstanding, most notably Christian Bale and JLaw
Haven't seen it yet.

Quote:
Captain Philips - Good movie, though not the best. Tom Hanks' was strong throughout, particularly at the end of the film.
I really enjoyed the movie. It held my interest from beginning to end. I'm not sure I'd say it's worthy of Best Picture, but there are worse choices. Of the ones I've seen so far, I'd rate it #2.

Quote:
Dallas Buyers Club - McConaughey mostly annoys me at this point, so it's hard for me to take any of his projects seriously. Leto was the best part of the film.
Haven't seen it yet.

Quote:
Gravity - I was nauseous 15 minutes in, and I guess that spoiled my mood for the rest of the film. For all the floating through space, I was hoping for a bigger payoff at the end.
A huge disappointment. I was bored to death. Of the ones I've seen so far, I'd rate it #5.

Quote:
Her - Liked this a lot more than I thought I would. Took some time to process it all though. Definitely the "deepest" of all the Oscar films I've seen, and makes you think.
Havent seen it yet.

Quote:
Philomena - Good movie, moving story. Could have gone the route of eviscerating the Catholic Church, but didn't. I enjoyed this film, but it's at the bottom of the pack in terms of the Oscar.
Well done, but not really Oscar-worthy, IMO. Of the ones I've seen so far, I'd rate it #3.

Quote:
Nebraska - Haven't seen this one yet.
My favorite of the five I've seen. I'd rate it #1.

Quote:
12 Years a Slave - Haven't seen this one yet either, though it's the one I'm most looking forward to.
I was actually kind of disappointed in this one. It was okay, but I kind of felt like I was watching the old TV mini-series Roots. I think the thing that bothered me most about it was that I never had any sense of how far into the twelve years the movie was at any given point. My son saw this at the Telluride Film Festival and just raved about it. I just wasn't all that impressed. Of the ones I've seen so far, I'd rate it #4.

Quote:
Wolf of Wall Street - Hated this film. I think someone in another thread called it Gordon Gekko meets Cheech & Chong, and I agree with that assessment. It was an hour and a half too long, and ridiculously over the top. If I had been subjected to one more crazed, chest thumping (literally) locker room-esque office scene, I would have walked out. There were about eight too many of those (or maybe it just seemed that way).
Haven't seen it yet.

It looks like I have five down and five to go. I'd better start hustling if I'm going to see them all by Oscar time. Of the ones I haven't seen yet, anybody know if any of them available through Netflix yet?

Old 02-16-2014, 02:45 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Haven't seen any (yet). Would like to see most.

But as GLADIATOR taught us, your movie doesn't even have to be very good to win an Oscar.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:52 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'd better start hustling if I'm going to see them all by Oscar time. Of the ones I haven't seen yet, anybody know if any of them available through Netflix yet?
I don't think you're going to have any luck with Netflix. There's usually a significant delay for movies to get to Netflix (if ever). Best hope will be Redbox, Amazon Instant Video or iTunes. A few of them are already available or will be before the Oscars.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:49 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
I've seen Dallas Buyer's & Wolf of Wall Street. I liked Dallas, thought Matthew was really good but Leto was even better. I thought Matthew should get the Oscar until I saw Wolf of Wall Street. That movie was insane, DiCaprio was awesome in it.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:59 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Pls, not Am Hustle...or Wolf...or Gravity....I will then be happy.
They just weren't best picture, that's all.
Comment, Philomena was the best movie in every way, cast, screenplay, editing...
surprised it was perfection...but will never get best picture, neither will little ole Nebraska...both top notch.

Best screenplay is a biggy.

Best actor prob Matthew M. Or Tom. H.
Best actress Cate B.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:35 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
I've seen all nine of them, and although I wouldn't be surprised if the Best Picture and Best Director Oscars go to two different films two weeks from tonight, I'll go with '12 Years A Slave' for Best Picture, and Alfonso Cuaron winning Best Director for 'Gravity', since he recently won the DGA Award in the same category.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:50 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,025,943 times
Strangely, I've only seen 12 Years a Slave, which was magnificent.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:30 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,312 times
I've seen DBC and Wolf: DBC was very interesting and enjoyable, and I think Leto gets the nod for supporting actor, while Wolf was pretty much just a 3 hour bender.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:37 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,016,782 times
This thread needs a poll!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies