Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 08:05 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,328,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
You may want to read this article in the Atlantic about the accuracy in 12 Years a Slave. It's an interesting perspective on the subject and does point out the exaggeration and misrepresentations in the movie versus the book.

How 12 Years a Slave Gets History Right: By Getting It Wrong - Noah Berlatsky - The Atlantic
What the author of that article (and you) seem to fail to realize is that just because some situations in the film didn't happen in the book, that doesn't mean it never happened to any American slave. I doubt that the movie was a far cry from reality. I'm sure Steve McQueen did an excellent job of depicting slavery for all of its horrors, and I wouldn't doubt that the film features references based on his research done from outside of the autobiography.

Last edited by Nairobi; 02-23-2014 at 08:14 AM..

Old 02-23-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoonandStars View Post
Okay I will reword it. "These type of movies" shouldn't stop. Tell the Jewish community to stop making those type of movies that reminds everyone of their tortuous past and the evil of Hitler and Nazis. Like I said, don't go to see it. Are you carrying some type of fault guilt jealousy resentment anger. If so, why and where does it comes from. The movies don't need to stop because you don't like it or white people don't like it. If the wider audience don't want to see it then it's there for black people to see. It's not about pleasing you.
And like I said, you're welcome to your opinion. I've spoken to plenty of blacks who share my views. We think that black folks deserve better from Hollywood. Clearly, you disagree.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
White people like good films about black people. THE COLOR PURPLE is one of my mom's favs (I like it, but chick flick...) and when I was young, we watched all of Sidney Poitiers films. Amistad, Beloved...

Problem is, and I think the OP and a lot of others have hit it already, you can only watch the same film so many times. When I was a kid, ROOTS was a big deal and we watched it as an important piece of history. But you can only watch so many movies about slavery before you start seeing them as being "by the numbers," to use an industry phrase.

It is time to start expanding the franchise a bit. Why has there never been a historical epic about the Mali Empire, the Nubians, or Aksum? I believe there was the one film about the Harlem Renaissance when I was too young to see it, but why has that never been re-visited? Has there ever been a good one about the Buffalo Soldiers?

Was there ever a movie about Thurgood Mashall's life story?

Or how about some nice slice of life films that have nothing to do with oppression or outrageous comedy?
Well said. All we're asking for is some variety. I can't imagine why or how anyone would be opposed to that.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:40 PM

277 posts, read 506,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
And like I said, you're welcome to your opinion. I've spoken to plenty of blacks who share my views. We think that black folks deserve better from Hollywood. Clearly, you disagree.
Nairobi you're full of it and you haven't spoken to plenty of blacks who share your view. You failed to realize that you're opinion doesn't carry weight but at least you recognize it's just you're opinion. And for the third time if you're not satisfied don't go see it. It's not about pleasing you and whites. Black people want to see it so that's the audience there, not you and not whites. All you did in this thread is cry about what white people want and don't want. What about what black people want. Does that count? Let black people have their story and solitude. Everyone else does it yet you aren't angered or threaten by it. Why is that.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:52 PM

277 posts, read 506,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
White people like good films about black people. THE COLOR PURPLE is one of my mom's favs (I like it, but chick flick...) and when I was young, we watched all of Sidney Poitiers films. Amistad, Beloved...
It's not about what white people like and what's a good film is individualistic and relative. I question your statement. When you were young you watch all of Sidney Poitier's films yet when you were young you watched Amistad and Beloved. I guess you someone who doesn't age. Errors like that comes from lying. I find it questionable that you enjoyed Amistad yet criticizes films such as 12 years a Slave. Apparently, when you watch films you don't know what or why you're watching it kiddo.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
When you were young you watch all of Sidney Poitier's films yet when you were young you watched Amistad and Beloved. I guess you someone who doesn't age. Errors like that comes from lying.
"I guess you someone" who's never heard of these inventions we call videos/DVDs. These little miracles allow people to watch old films in the comfort of their homes decades later. Cool, huh?

Quote:
Nairobi you're full of it and you haven't spoken to plenty of blacks who share your view. You failed to realize that you're opinion doesn't carry weight but at least you recognize it's just you're opinion. And for the third time if you're not satisfied don't go see it. It's not about pleasing you and whites. Black people want to see it so that's the audience there, not you and not whites. All you did in this thread is cry about what white people want and don't want. What about what black people want. Does that count? Let black people have their story and solitude. Everyone else does it yet you aren't angered or threaten by it. Why is that.
I don't waste my time arguing with someone who thinks it's their place to tell me what I have or haven't done, when they do not even know me. So unless you have something objective to add this discussion, you and I are done talking.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:27 PM

513 posts, read 695,345 times
I really do not understand the criticism of these slave movies. Making a movie about it does not mean that anyone condones the actions or are trying to make anyone fell guilty of what happened more than 150 years ago. Should we ban mobster movies as well? Gang movies? Slavery was an awful act of humanity, just like countless other examples that movies depict. However, I see no reason to avoid the subject. Will acting like it never happened really make anything better?

Old 02-23-2014, 04:21 PM

712 posts, read 2,145,426 times
Quote:
Django unchained was Hollywood fiction so far removed from reality that it might as well have been set on Mars.
I don't think it was.. what I mean is..

The character that Samuel Jackson had the gall to play.. that was a real character of the south I think..

A slave that became a full servant or family of the white folks he served..

Sure the violence and or the gunning down of 42 people.. was unrealistic.. and not true to the south.. but Samuels character to me was very true..

Quote:
A genuinely insightful examination into the complexities of slavery or race relationships would simply make too many people uncomfortable. The concept of slavery is too remote for most Americans to grasp and when we do it's only on the terms that it was such an appalling institution (which it most certainly was) and it would be too difficult to accept that many if not most slaveowners were decent people who were just caught up in a dreadful system. Because the institution was so morally wrong and bad, we've come to only accept portrayals of the people who perpetrated as bad too, and they can't be good parents, kind neighbors, benevolent masters or dutiful people at the same time.

Alas, human nature has always been much more complex and our abilities to balance deep moral flaws alongside with positive human characteristics and traits is not something Hollywood likes to examine in its movies.
Ohh, great now you'll inspire them to make movies about saving the slaves.. the underground railroad.. that'll just be more of the same.. with a new spin..

I'm a sci-fi fan.. so sci-fi is always my interest in movies.. aka imagination!

But the truth is.. if a movies good.. it's good.. doesn't really matter what the movies about..

In some respects I miss our world war 2 revival from the 90's to the 2000's it's become semi-unfashionable again..

If you really want to see a new take on SLAVES.. watch Spartacus because that will show you slaves.. and this time it doesn't cover the chore aspect.. so much

Old 02-23-2014, 04:21 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,194,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
I really do not understand the criticism of these slave movies. Making a movie about it does not mean that anyone condones the actions or are trying to make anyone fell guilty of what happened more than 150 years ago. Should we ban mobster movies as well? Gang movies? Slavery was an awful act of humanity, just like countless other examples that movies depict. However, I see no reason to avoid the subject. Will acting like it never happened really make anything better?
Really. I'm Italian and you don't see me getting up here saying that we need to stop making mob movies. The fact is that the Mafia is a chunk of Italian-American history, just as slavery is a chunk of African-American history.

As for the argument that white people don't like black films, gross generalizations like that serve no one. Just last night I enjoyed Waiting to Exhale and How Stella Got Her Groove Back back-to-back. Oh, wait, those are "chick flicks." Well, gee, when are we going to stop making movies about women banding together in strength, then? Didn't Steel Magnolias say it all?

Old 02-23-2014, 04:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
13% of the population get over 60% of the media exposure.
i think that is pretty good for a relatively small group in the population.
however there are those that dont agree with my opinion. like the black guy in florida that smashed the million dollar chinese vase the other day in the gallery bek he could not get his stuff displayed there. so yes there are people out there that share your outrage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.