Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 09:57 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times

Advertisements

I recently saw 'The Butler', and I enjoyed it. Great performances by the cast (including Oprah). 'Django Unchained' was excellent, of course. 'The Help' was good, too, but felt too much like a "chick flick". I've yet to see '12 Years A Slave', but plan to see it as soon as possible. I'll get around to seeing '42' eventually.

Take note of the fact that I've listed five titles that have been released in the span of only two years. It truly bothers me that the only Black stories Hollywood is interested in telling are the ones from yesterday, so everyone can frown, shed a few tears, and soak in their white guilt for two hours out of their day while they watch reenactments of how bad black people were treated.

White people have films that depict every single facet of life, from fantastical to grassroots, across every genre there is. Where are all of the movies that tell our stories of today? 'Precious' and 'Fruitvale Station' were a decent start, but even with those the dominant theme is the "poor black person". From the 1970s until the 1990s, we seemed to have a solid string of great black movies that were being released. What happened? Why does it seem like we're moving backwards?

We need to start questioning why minority films have such a problem breaking into the mainstream nowadays. Quite frankly, this is an issue that all races should be concerned with.

I would take this opportunity to rant about the Tyler Perry and Kevin Hart stuff, but no true movie buff really enjoys that junk anyway.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:24 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post

We need to start questioning why minority films have such a problem breaking into the mainstream nowadays. Quite frankly, this is an issue that all races should be concerned with.

A good starting place for such an investigation would be the economics involved. If films which focus on black slavery make money while films depicting modern black life do not, then we will continue to get films about black slavery. And of course making money is congruent with audience turnout.

Is it any different from asking why there are so many big explosion action flicks and fart/puke/jackoff comedies, and so few films with intellectual themes? The former fill up the theaters, the latter do not. Or any different from why the documentary oriented tv channels have abandoned serious subjects in favor of the lurid stuff now being presented..ghosts, conspiracy theories, ancient prophecies etc?

The solution will have to come from the artists, not the audience. Someone will have to make a film about modern black life that not only is intelligent, but so entertaining that it becomes a huge hit. Once that happens it will trigger a wave of copy cats looking to cash in on the new trend.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
A good starting place for such an investigation would be the economics involved. If films which focus on black slavery make money while films depicting modern black life do not, then we will continue to get films about black slavery. And of course making money is congruent with audience turnout.

Is it any different from asking why there are so many big explosion action flicks and fart/puke/jackoff comedies, and so few films with intellectual themes? The former fill up the theaters, the latter do not. Or any different from why the documentary oriented tv channels have abandoned serious subjects in favor of the lurid stuff now being presented..ghosts, conspiracy theories, ancient prophecies etc?

The solution will have to come from the artists, not the audience. Someone will have to make a film about modern black life that not only is intelligent, but so entertaining that it becomes a huge hit. Once that happens it will trigger a wave of copy cats looking to cash in on the new trend.
I believe that Hollywood and the audience have to take some of the blame. I refuse to believe that a quality black film has never been presented to any of the movie studios. Because we had those movies in the past. Hollywood has chosen not to give the green light to many of these movies, because the American audience has chosen not to support them. I've literally heard people say "I don't want to see a black movie", yet black audiences support films with predominantly white casts all the time.

Actions and comedies may bring in the big bucks, but they're not the only films getting widespread recognition and respect. Every year at the Oscars, many of the nominated films feature well-told, thought provoking stories.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:08 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,446,723 times
It's easy to make movies about slavery these days.

The slaveowners are always going to be horrible, sadistic, cruel people. 12 Years a Slave is a perfect example of taking a legitimate historical account and greatly exaggerating the cruelty. Django unchained was Hollywood fiction so far removed from reality that it might as well have been set on Mars. Even the Butler deliberately misrepresented certain events or completely fabricated stories and attitudes of certain presidents in order to drum up sympathy for the main character.

But Hollywood likes to do this because it allows for the classic hero versus villain plot dynamic.

A genuinely insightful examination into the complexities of slavery or race relationships would simply make too many people uncomfortable. The concept of slavery is too remote for most Americans to grasp and when we do it's only on the terms that it was such an appalling institution (which it most certainly was) and it would be too difficult to accept that many if not most slaveowners were decent people who were just caught up in a dreadful system. Because the institution was so morally wrong and bad, we've come to only accept portrayals of the people who perpetrated as bad too, and they can't be good parents, kind neighbors, benevolent masters or dutiful people at the same time.

Alas, human nature has always been much more complex and our abilities to balance deep moral flaws alongside with positive human characteristics and traits is not something Hollywood likes to examine in its movies.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:36 AM

277 posts, read 506,293 times
You're being very selective in your picks. When will the Nazi and Jewish movies end. The book thief and the Monument Men came out back to back. No, black movies as you put it shouldn't stop. Just don't go see it.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
It's easy to make movies about slavery these days.

The slaveowners are always going to be horrible, sadistic, cruel people. 12 Years a Slave is a perfect example of taking a legitimate historical account and greatly exaggerating the cruelty. Django unchained was Hollywood fiction so far removed from reality that it might as well have been set on Mars. Even the Butler deliberately misrepresented certain events or completely fabricated stories and attitudes of certain presidents in order to drum up sympathy for the main character.

But Hollywood likes to do this because it allows for the classic hero versus villain plot dynamic.

A genuinely insightful examination into the complexities of slavery or race relationships would simply make too many people uncomfortable. The concept of slavery is too remote for most Americans to grasp and when we do it's only on the terms that it was such an appalling institution (which it most certainly was) and it would be too difficult to accept that many if not most slaveowners were decent people who were just caught up in a dreadful system. Because the institution was so morally wrong and bad, we've come to only accept portrayals of the people who perpetrated as bad too, and they can't be good parents, kind neighbors, benevolent masters or dutiful people at the same time.

Alas, human nature has always been much more complex and our abilities to balance deep moral flaws alongside with positive human characteristics and traits is not something Hollywood likes to examine in its movies.
Not the point I'm trying to make at all. There are actual documented accounts that are written proof of American slavery being an institution that did indeed contain torture and gore. I've yet to see the film, but I'm sure nothing in 12YAS was exaggerated. Django was intended to be a fictional, comic depiction of the antebellum South. I thought everyone knew this, so I'm not sure where you find fault with it. The Butler was also a fictional story only loosely based on facts. How can you be certain of what was and wasn't fabricated about certain presidents? One of the main points of the story was the conflict between Cecil Gaines and his son, so they certainly weren't trying to make the man look perfect. He was flawed and they showed that.

So you want Hollywood to make the slaveowners look better? Please. There's nothing "decent" about claiming another human being as your property. The benevolent thing to do would be to free your slaves and pick your own damn cotton. What you're discussing is a sickness of the mindset that existed in both slaves and slave masters: the concept of the "benevolent", civilized owner and his obedient, docile slave who loves his master oh so dearly. Harriet Tubman said it herself: "I freed a thousand slaves. I could have freed a thousand more, if only they knew they were slaves."

Old 02-22-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I believe that Hollywood and the audience have to take some of the blame. .
Blame implies some sort of moral shortcoming and we are talking about entertainment choices. My focus was on the solution and my suggestion was that what needs to be done is for someone to make a modern black oriented film which becomes a hit.

Audiences do turn out for non slavery black themed quality films if they are also entertaining and well made. "Sounder", "The Color Purple" and "Ragtime" are examples I would cite. Make more movies like that rather than one more gangsta film or fat suit comedy.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoonandStars View Post
You're being very selective in your picks. When will the Nazi and Jewish movies end. The book thief and the Monument Men came out back to back. No, black movies as you put it shouldn't stop. Just don't go see it.
I didn't say "black movies" should stop. I said these types of movies should stop. You're welcome to your opinion and I'm welcome to mine.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Blame implies some sort of moral shortcoming and we are talking about entertainment choices. My focus was on the solution and my suggestion was that what needs to be done is for someone to make a modern black oriented film which becomes a hit.

Audiences do turn out for non slavery black themed quality films if they are also entertaining and well made. "Sounder", "The Color Purple" and "Ragtime" are examples I would cite. Make more movies like that rather than one more gangsta film or fat suit comedy.
Some moral shortcomings may be the issue. I recently read this interesting article that somewhat tackles what we're discussing. Keep in mind that it's just one man's observation.

Why White People Don't Like Black Movies

Old 02-22-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Some moral shortcomings may be the issue. I recently read this interesting article that somewhat tackles what we're discussing. Keep in mind that it's just one man's observation.

Why White People Don't Like Black Movies
The thrust was that whites do not turn out for black oriented motion pictures due to lack of empathy. Is that supposed to be the moral shortcoming? It is morally wrong to not relate well to that which is less familiar? It is morally wrong to prefer entertainment where one can relate?

I would readily agree that it is morally wrong for a white person to deny a black person equal treatment in matters of housing, employment, schooling etc. It is less clear to me why this would be critical in terms of individuals selecting their private amusements. Black attendance at baseball games has been on the decline since the 1980's. It corresponds to a steady decline in the number of blacks athletes choosing baseball over football and basketball careers. Is that some sort of moral shortcoming on the part of blacks? Should they be obligated to better support the "National Pass Time?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies