Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 02:58 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,257,470 times

Advertisements

Since I have seen most movies...I did feel that each category was
RIGHT ON!
Absolutely, correct.

If Am Hustler had gotten the Oscar I would have died in disbelief....
If Philomena had NOT been at least nominated I would have been so disappointed,
same with Nebraska, tho they didn't have a chance against 12 Years A Slave.
The director of Gravity so deserved the award!

And the actor awards? Perfection.

Comments?
Ok you can talk about the Oscar ceremonies.
How can it be avoided.
Ha! But film people are different than TV people...imho.

( I was disappointed to not see the Glee boy mentioned in the memorial, like Farrah wasn't.
And I am forgetting someone...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 03:21 PM

Omg, I am watching Cate on Ellen...they haven't slept...a few minutes...hope u can pull it up.
They both are a mess....taking Advil.
Cate slept with the Oscar....closest thing she and her husband have come to a threesome.
Great show!!

Old 03-04-2014, 12:39 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,636,293 times
I thought it was very well done and refreshingly classy for a change. No one swore, there were no cheap-shot or smut jokes, and though I thought Ellen was a little over-the-top nutsy, she knows how to keep things moving.

Favorite moments:
Jared Leto's win and acceptance speech.
Pink's rendition of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." She can SING! She doesn't need props like hanging off the high wire. Dress it up and just sing!
Angelina Jolie walking gingerly with Sidney Poitier to the podium and the kind way they complimented each other, then watching people's eyes in the audience fill with tears (including Brad Pitt's).
Bette Midler!
The respectful silence as each of the memorials were shown.
Matthew McConaughey's win, that kiss and his acceptance speech.
The incredibly gracious, well-spoken Lupita N'yongo's win and speech.
Brad Pitt's win as producer of "Slave."
Cate Blanchett's win and dynamic speech.
Italy's "The Great Beauty" winning best foreign language film.
Idina Menzel's "Let it Go" performance.
Award for "Let it Go" as best song (finally someone trumped U2)!
The ladies in the audience impromptu-dancing to Pharrell Williams' "Happy" (another good song).
Steve McQueen jumping up and down on stage after winning Best Picture!

Old 03-04-2014, 06:35 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,242,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
Pink's rendition of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." She can SING! She doesn't need props like hanging off the high wire. Dress it up and just sing!
Oh, but when she does the aerial acrobatics, it's simply breathtaking! She's an amazing woman.

Quote:
The respectful silence as each of the memorials were shown.
YES!!!

Quote:
The incredibly gracious, well-spoken Lupita N'yongo's win and speech.
I have such a crazy girl crush on her. She's such a breath of fresh air!

Old 03-04-2014, 07:38 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,075,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Since I have seen most movies...I did feel that each category was
RIGHT ON!
Absolutely, correct.

If Am Hustler had gotten the Oscar I would have died in disbelief....
If Philomena had NOT been at least nominated I would have been so disappointed,
same with Nebraska, tho they didn't have a chance against 12 Years A Slave.
The director of Gravity so deserved the award!

And the actor awards? Perfection.

Comments?
Ok you can talk about the Oscar ceremonies.
How can it be avoided.
Ha! But film people are different than TV people...imho.

( I was disappointed to not see the Glee boy mentioned in the memorial, like Farrah wasn't.
And I am forgetting someone...)
I thought this year's crop of movies was subpar compared to previous years. I thought it was a strong year for individual acting accolades, but the movies themselves were just so-so. Gravity was long and drawn out. A visual masterpiece, YES...but the story was bland and most people I talked to just couldn't get into it. 12 Years was good, but way too over the top in torture. I just felt like movies like "Life of Pi" or "The Help" or "Toy Story 3" would have walked away with the Oscar this year if they were in this race. I think this year could go down in history as one of the worst best picture crowds.

As for the memorial service not mentioning Cory Monteith...he was in 1-2 movies and was more famous for his TV show, so it was right that he wasn't included. As for Farrah, she died in 2009, so why would she have been shown this year?

Old 03-04-2014, 07:57 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,242,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
As for the memorial service not mentioning Cory Monteith...he was in 1-2 movies ...
According to IMDB, it looks more like 11.

Quote:
As for Farrah, she died in 2009, so why would she have been shown this year?
I believe Miss Hepburn meant that Cory Monteith was excluded the way that Farrah was in 2009.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:15 AM

I think I will bring up others left out of the memoriam....you can check online.
Jonathon Winters
Dennis Farina

But, come on...Tom Clancy....how many novels did they turn into movies?
Sarah Jones that was in Midnight Rider...that I read, I wasn't aware of her death.

I just think it is sad to leave ANYone out that has something to do with films...
even one film or movie...it might take one full minute more to add 5 people...
Such an honor to the person... not deemed important to mention.

That's all...a missed opportunity to show thhe importance of the human heart and a life.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:24 AM

For those that did not catch Philomena...I was struck at it's perfection....it is
like s study in 'the perfect film'...casting, editing, pacing, dialoque, heart, comedy,
drama, mystery, plot unfoldment, resolution.
I saw one critic said that too..."a perfect movie".
Thank you Steve Coogan for writing, directing and starring in it...maybe producing it, too.
For Judy Densh...it was a cakewalk for such an actress...perfection.

Quiz...how many times did I say perfect in this post? :b

Old 03-04-2014, 09:53 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,488,483 times
Quote:
I thought this year's crop of movies was subpar compared to previous years. I thought it was a strong year for individual acting accolades, but the movies themselves were just so-so. Gravity was long and drawn out. A visual masterpiece, YES...but the story was bland and most people I talked to just couldn't get into it. 12 Years was good, but way too over the top in torture. I just felt like movies like "Life of Pi" or "The Help" or "Toy Story 3" would have walked away with the Oscar this year if they were in this race. I think this year could go down in history as one of the worst best picture crowds.

As for the memorial service not mentioning Cory Monteith...he was in 1-2 movies and was more famous for his TV show, so it was right that he wasn't included. As for Farrah, she died in 2009, so why would she have been shown this year?
Totally agree with every word!

Old 03-04-2014, 09:59 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,488,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Sarah Jones that was in Midnight Rider...that I read, I wasn't aware of her death.
She was a cinematographer and crew member, not an actress. From what I can see on IMDB, she primarily worked in TV productions. The only one I've heard of is Vampire Diaries. I suspect it's the shock that she died so young and so suddenly while on the job that made folks want to see her honored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies