U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2014, 02:39 PM

10,243 posts, read 10,432,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
The film is about hope.
Yes, it is. Great movie!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 10:56 PM

1,910 posts, read 2,783,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
I've spent two weeks reading everything online about this movie -- pretty much all questions you might have are probably answered. You could start with wired.com -- Wired magazine, which is being guest-edited by Christopher Nolan this month. It's a pretty amazing collection of articles, nicely done.
Really, a quick google search of news on Interstellar will reap a host of quality articles. I've learned so much!!!

My family and I have a video of the day tradition after dinner each night -- and it's been completely Interstellar-related for two weeks now. Everything from the behind-the-scenes of sound editing, to the science of black holes, to the fascinating documentary that McConaughey narrated, etc etc... Good stuff.
Glad I'm not the only one! My SO & I have been doing this since we first saw it in November! We plan on buying a telescope soon and I've bought him a couple of books for Christmas relative to the universe & astronomy. We started watching Cosmos & How the Universe Works together..we've seen this movie 8 times in theaters between the both of us!

We may go see it again! I don't like having to wait until March to purchase it.

This movie is awesome! & the soundtrack! OMG...Amazing.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:23 AM

1,347 posts, read 661,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyJon View Post
It is an AMAZING movie. No words to describe it.
Agreed, a towering film, plotting, acting, soundtrack...

The layers of complexity within the script are vastly deeper than almost any other film I've seen. Deceptively simple, but practically complex.

There is one issue that troubles me, and it is the wormhole paradox - it can only have been placed by Saturn by aliens, advanced humans could not have done so. This is left open to interpretation, but seems to be glossed over by many. Advanced humans may have built the tessaract, but only a third party could have placed the wormhole there.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:03 PM

5,188 posts, read 7,571,498 times
Finally saw it, and I am very impressed. There's a handful of minor things that could have been done even better, but even so, this movie is going to be the space classic of this decade. A smooth combination of hard sci-fi and the human element. And, yes, hope! I'll buy the Blu-Ray in March. In the meantime I'll see if I can find an IMAX theater where it's still playing. I guess I was lucky to find a local regular theater that is still showing it.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:09 PM

9,020 posts, read 6,884,780 times
I've heard it's a brilliant story...
Lol if I could only get past my intense dislike for the 2 main actors in the movie....
I may see it, eventually

Old 02-07-2015, 01:47 PM

5,188 posts, read 7,571,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonR View Post

The layers of complexity within the script are vastly deeper than almost any other film I've seen. Deceptively simple, but practically complex.

There is one issue that troubles me, and it is the wormhole paradox - it can only have been placed by Saturn by aliens, advanced humans could not have done so. This is left open to interpretation, but seems to be glossed over by many. Advanced humans may have built the tessaract, but only a third party could have placed the wormhole there.
I was thinking about that last night! Like 2001, A Space Odyssey (which the movie pays homage to, of course) there are unresolved mysteries. I like that. But I think we are supposed to imagine that due to the amazing scientific mind of Murphy Cooper
Spoiler
which of course she developed because of the Morse signals from the "ghost" in the library, not only did the future change for humans, but the scientific legacy of Edmund's colony would change, too, because Cooper arrived, with the knowledge of the human future. The relativity of time shifts works in the favor of humanity there

a certain human population on the other side of the wormhole created their own past. A time loop. Maybe?

Old 02-08-2015, 02:42 AM

3,612 posts, read 4,678,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonR View Post

I didn't quite understand what that "space library" was. Was it something that was put there like he stated in the movie, or was he dreaming it?

The movie seemed to focus on alien lifeforms and advanced human races elsewhere but didn't really touch on a god too much....which is probably for the best lol.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:33 AM

10,243 posts, read 10,432,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I didn't quite understand what that "space library" was. Was it something that was put there like he stated in the movie, or was he dreaming it?
Best description so far that I've read:

"Once Cooper is falling through the black hole, he is forced to escape into the darkness of space as the ship around him collapses in on itself. But instead of being crushed by any manner of unknowable forces while trapped in a void so dense that even light cannot escape, Cooper enters a "tesseract," or what can best be described as a giant archive center for dark-colored polyester chords clinging to the walls. It is not an actual space that Cooper has entered, but rather a projection of a human being’s lifespan from the fifth-dimension, which has been “simplified” for his (and our) fourth-dimensional thinking. Also, the space he's trapped in is actually a physical representation of a bookshelf that watches over an entire lifespan: his daughter Murphy's to be exact."
Explaining the Interstellar Ending

Old 04-04-2015, 08:46 PM

50,238 posts, read 11,164,030 times
Watched it earlier with my daughter, and we both thought it was pretty good.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:45 PM

9,150 posts, read 15,771,018 times
I just watched it too. The story and effects were good, and the time travel loops definitely made me think,

however........

I had a lot of trouble understanding the dialogue at many points, where the music would drown out the people talking. It wasn't helped by Matthew McConaughey' s constant mumbling and drawling. I had to keep replaying scenes, saying "what the hell did he just mumble?" He just drawls on in a monotone without interrupting his speech with inconvenient things like consonants. If you're going to have an actor that talks like that, fine, but stop blaring the music louder than the dialogue when he talks. Help us out a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies