Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 11:52 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Parkerman View Post
A black Thing? But the Thing is orange with cracked brick-textured skin. lol Also, that's like saying that if they made an Inhumans movie, you wouldn't mind if Triton was played by a black actor.

(Triton is the green fishy-looking guy on the left.)
I mean Ben Grimm (Thing's human form) which would have the actor in the role for the first act before he becomes a rock man.

As for a black person playing an Inhuman, why not make it Black Bolt (though he doesn't speak) and his brother Maximus. That or make Medusa and Crystal black if you want to not have a "white washed" cast of heroes. FYI I know Triton is the Martian Manhunter looking aquaman.

Quote:
What? You mean that you never watched the television series called Half & Half about two half sisters(who have the same father) and who had issues at first, but became closer after they got older?

Also, speaking of Diahann Carroll, didn't she play Blake Carrington's half sister on the mega hit tv show Dynasty?
I never even heard of it until now. and I wasn't watching UPN or CW period besides WWF/E SmackDown. On Mondays I would watch WWF/E Raw or be out for Boy Scout functions. I never heard of it while watching SmackDown unlike other UPN shows.

Quote:
Sounds like you need to get out more.
No I've been out enough.

Quote:
You might be right, but I read that in addition to race relations comparisons, the mutants also represented the struggles and the conflicts in the gay community(most people probably know that Bryan is gay). Therefore, I think that I once read that when Mystique says to a politician who has a radical stance against mutants that, "You know, people like you are the reason I was afraid to go to school as a child" that that has a secondary meaning of how some gay children feel terrorized in school because of anti-gay bullying. And that with Rogue, she may also represent gay people who are not happy being gay and wished that they could find a cure. Also, I found this article, which criticizes one of my favorite X-Men movies(The Last Stand), but makes some interesting points:

X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)
X-Men: The Last Stand was OK. Great psychology for the whole cure aspect but the Phoenix was weak, the Xavier re-birth post-credit scene was wacked out and we already shown Hank McCoy in X-Men: United. That is why it is not one of my favorites. I rather go with X-Men or First Class.

I think that X-Men is perfect for anyone that is different. Not all differences are visible like say Beast. Others are more hidden. I think the Rogue one is just wanting to fit in which can be any difference whether it race, sexuality or something else. There have been gay similiarities at times besides lines in the movies. Legacy virus is entirely A.I.D.S. based over the fear that you can catch it from a mutant. There's other points that are entirely race based (like the Malcolm X vs. MLK debates about Magneto and Xavier and now Cyclops who is basically Stokely Carmichael now.)

Quote:
Sorry, mkpunk, but the 'natural' webbing was just about the only thing that Raimi's SM1 changed because the rest of the story pretty much stuck to the source. Although, about the only thing different that they added was making the Green Goblin Spidey's first villain.
There was some changes too. Green Goblin's death wasn't because he had killed Gwen Stacey, it was because of capturing Mary Jane Watson AND trying to kill the cable car passengers. It was more like the 90's Fox Series who didn't have a Gwen Stacy (she debuted in the finale in an alternate reality) where Green Goblin sent Mary Jane into limbo before ending up in limbo himself. As for first villain, it is his most famous so it's like trying to do a Batman movie franchise without starting off with The Joker.

As we go on later, there was more and more like the "black suit" (Venom) being from a meteor rather than being found during the secret wars (to be fair, it is something that wouldn't happen now.)

Quote:
Funny video. Emma Frost aging backwards and Professor X being shot by an amnesia bullet.
But then Days of Future Past it is revealed she died (though the timeline was reset and we started on an alternative timeline where Wolverine still needs he's

Quote:
  1. I agree. And this was a strong case of not adhering to the original comic book origin story, where the original X-Men were Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Iceman and Angel. Although that would have been hard to do since these characters existed as young adults in the 21st century.
I think the main problem is people didn't check with what was canon from the previous movies (which itself at times was mismatched (look at Beast from X-men 2 to X-men 3.)) To be fair, Angel and Iceman are the only young heroes in the original X-Men movies who were the true first-class.

Quote:
  1. Well, to each their own. Also, as I had said earlier, I liked the Last Stand and I still don't get why Orgins: Wolverine was so maligned(in my opinion) and berated by some critics and fans alike. However, it did gross $179 million domestically, which is what Thor 1 and Captain America 1 grossed.
It doesn't really fit in cannon due to events referenced even in the original movies due to Sabertooth not remembering Wolverine in X-Men despite being his bestie until about 1977. If it was a standalone film not attached to the already established X-Men franchise, it would be a good maybe even great film. The problem is there was already expectations of the established movie canon of Sabertooth not knowing Wolverine. I'm not even going into the mistakes of the movie canon to the comic canon (like Deadpool having different powers and not just being Captain America who can travel across dimensions.)

Quote:
Yes, but keep in mind that both of the above movies were origin stories and many origin stories aren't particularly the best in a franchise of a movie. However, Star War 1 still had an incredible fight/action scene, that I'm hoping that one day a future X-Men movie will have.
I feel X-Men First Class had a nice aerial battle as well as the whole Azazel fight with Beast. X-Men Days of Future Past had a GREAT fight with the X-Men of the future and the sentinels.

As for Star Wars 1 being an origin, I'd argue it wasn't because it was (in skeleton) already written before Episode IV was even shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 07:43 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
Finally saw this last night. Thought it was the best one out of the xmen

The only character i didnt recognize was the black xmen with the gun. Who was that?

Old 08-21-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Finally saw this last night. Thought it was the best one out of the xmen

The only character i didnt recognize was the black xmen with the gun. Who was that?
Bishop, the one who went back in time during the cartoon's version of the Days of Future Past storyline.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:25 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,443,100 times
I really enjoyed this a lot, one of the very few good big budget films this summer.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:22 PM

197 posts, read 233,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Another case was the hall of the CIA in First Class when he stopped everyone but Moira MacTagert (the agent, not the nurse.)
Hello, mkpunk. Good to see you back.

But I'll have to either purchase or rent First Class and watch it over again since I've gained a different perspective of it because of DOFP.

Quote:
I think it is his paralysis powers which like any power can be used on multiple people at the same time. It could also be illusion casting as well.
Well, I think that you were right the first time because I watched X2 again and the one teenager that Bobby had sprayed ice on to put out Pyro's flame, had ice melting from his face when he was 'paralyzed' by Professor X.

Quote:
The range of Xavier's powers depend on the exact power like say for controlling someone, Xavier is within touching distance compared to sensing mutants which he can be several miles away. Cerebro also can magnify these powers. I haven't seen X2 in a while so I don't remember where Xavier was during the trip.
It was at the museum of natural history.

Quote:
Depending on what power Xavier used would also affect the other jobs.
What do you mean by 'other jobs'?

Old 08-29-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I mean Ben Grimm (Thing's human form) which would have the actor in the role for the first act before he becomes a rock man.
I know that you meant. Also, I was actually messing with you and was going to let you off the hook, but it took you so long to respond, I wasn't sure if I had offended you or something.

Quote:
As for a black person playing an Inhuman, why not make it Black Bolt (though he doesn't speak) and his brother Maximus.
Hmph! Make the guy who won't have any lines and his crazy brother black men. —Just messing with you again.

Quote:
That or make Medusa and Crystal black if you want to not have a "white washed" cast of heroes.
Now are you saying that because Crystal originally dated the Human Torch who also happens to be black in the upcoming FF? —Just joking around with you. However that would be a good idea to add diversity to the Inhumans who were created in the 1960s and who were basically all white with a fish guy added in.

Quote:
FYI I know Triton is the Martian Manhunter looking aquaman.
What do you mean? That you read somewhere that his character is based upon Aquaman and Manhunter from Mars?

Quote:
I never even heard of it until now. and I wasn't watching UPN or CW period besides WWF/E SmackDown. On Mondays I would watch WWF/E Raw or be out for Boy Scout functions.
Boy Scout functions???!!!! My God! How old are you???? I knew you were young, but Boy Scout functions? Or are you one of their adult leaders?

Also, my mentioning of Half & Half was just part of my whacky sense of humor.

Quote:
X-Men: The Last Stand was OK. Great psychology for the whole cure aspect but the Phoenix was weak...
Actually, I kind of liked her where my favorite scene in the movie was when she exploded her (former?)home along with Professor X with it. However, I thought that it would have been more interesting if the local authorities and the news agencies had been reporting a catastrophic energy disturbance in the area where Phoenix went ballistic near the end of the movie. Although, perhaps they did, but the movie didn't show it, since they seemed to have wanted this movie to not have been too long and to have moved at a fast pace.

Also, even though I thought that Brett Ratner did a pretty good job with the fight scenes and the physical look of the movie, I'm sure that Byran Singer would have did a better job at actually executing the story, and it probably would have been a 2 hour+ movie. But then again, with Singer's version, Last Stand would not have had the physical look that Brad Ratner gave to it, which is one of the reasons why I am so fond of that movie. Even with it's faults.

Quote:
the Xavier re-birth post-credit scene was wacked out and we already shown Hank McCoy in X-Men: United. That is why it is not one of my favorites. I rather go with X-Men or First Class.
Well, I'm kind of like: who cares about the re-birth post-credit scene? Also, how can anyone judge a movie by one of those scenes? And as far as Hank McCoy in X2, why are you so obsessed with a scene that only lasted for a few seconds? Also, anyone who knows anything about the X-Men knows that Hank McCoy started out in human form, but later mutated into is blue-colored form. Therefore, if anything, Last Stand was correcting a 'mistake' that was made in X2(United).

But enough for now. Your posts tend to be very long, and I would have to look at the rest of it some other time.

Last edited by Tom Parkerman; 08-29-2014 at 08:33 PM..

Old 08-29-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
...one of the very few good big budget films this summer.
Amen! And to a summer that basically 'sucked' when it came to big budget films.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Hello, mkpunk. Good to see you back.

But I'll have to either purchase or rent First Class and watch it over again since I've gained a different perspective of it because of DOFP.

Well, I think that you were right the first time because I watched X2 again and the one teenager that Bobby had sprayed ice on to put out Pyro's flame, had ice melting from his face when he was 'paralyzed' by Professor X.

It was at the museum of natural history.

What do you mean by 'other jobs'?
I meant ones, silly swype on my phone...

As for the museum, I didn't remember if Xavier was there or not.

[quote=Tom Parkerman;36293824]I know that you meant. Also, I was actually messing with you and was going to let you off the hook, but it took you so long to respond, I wasn't sure if I had offended you or something.

Good to know we are on the same page. I take some time sometimes because I batch reply rather than make several different posts.

Quote:
Hmph! Make the guy who won't have any lines and his crazy brother black men. —Just messing with you again.
That's why I said Maximum as well...

Quote:
Now are you saying that because Crystal originally dated the Human Torch who also happens to be black in the upcoming FF? —Just joking around with you. However that would be a good idea to add diversity to the Inhumans who were created in the 1960s and who were basically all white with a fish guy added in.
I don't have a problem with interracial dating, I've dated interracially.

As for who are the Inhumans, we don't even know when it's getting made or even if. We have more rumored Marvel movies than dates set up. Ant-Man, Thor 3, Captain America 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Avengers 3 are the only confirmed Marvel movies in stage 3. That leaves about three other movies that include rumors of Doctor Strange (the farthest along of any unconfirmed movie,) Ms. Marvel/the current Captain Marvel, Black Panther, The Runaways, The Inhumans, a Hulk sequel, a Black Widow movie, a West Coast Avengers and even Blade (they own the rights to them.) Ant-man has been a script since 2006 that was rumored off and on (at one point Disney wanted it as their first Marvel movie.)

Quote:
What do you mean? That you read somewhere that his character is based upon Aquaman and Manhunter from Mars?
Basically looks like Martian Manhunter but with Aquaman's abilities. He does strangly look like Manhunter.

See they have fairly similar looks.

Quote:
Boy Scout functions???!!!! My God! How old are you???? I knew you were young, but Boy Scout functions? Or are you one of their adult leaders?

Also, my mentioning of Half & Half was just part of my whacky sense of humor.
At the time of the Half & Half airings, I was in Boy Scouts well on my way to Eagle. I'll leave it at that.

Quote:
Actually, I kind of liked her where my favorite scene in the movie was when she exploded her (former?)home along with Professor X with it. However, I thought that it would have been more interesting if the local authorities and the news agencies had been reporting a catastrophic energy disturbance in the area where Phoenix went ballistic near the end of the movie. Although, perhaps they did, but the movie didn't show it, since they seemed to have wanted this movie to not have been too long and to have moved at a fast pace.
The Phoenix stuff was good but I just found so much wrong with X-men 3 and nothing about Beast. They killed off Cyclops in a worthless McGuffin (though Cyclops was treated like crap in X-Men and X:2

Another problem is the pace of the movie. It was far faster and not as natural as X-Men, X:2, First Class or even Days of Future Past.

Quote:
Also, even though I thought that Brett Ratner did a pretty good job with the fight scenes and the physical look of the movie, I'm sure that Byran Singer would have did a better job at actually executing the story, and it probably would have been a 2 hour+ movie. But then again, with Singer's version, Last Stand would not have had the physical look that Brad Ratner gave to it, which is one of the reasons why I am so fond of that movie. Even with it's faults.
With Singer the film would be different. The rumored plot was that Emma Frost would tap into Jean's mind and she would commit suicide but the Phoenix Force would be unleashed onto the world. No word if it would have the Gifted storyline that came from Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run that gave us Jimmy who depowered mutants. Fox ruined the Phoenix stuff because they didn't want the aspects of the Dark Phoenix because it was "too dark." So perhaps Matt Vaughn (First Class' director that pulled out late to be replaced by Rattner) or Singer wouldn't have done anything... To read more, check out the wikipedia article.

Quote:
Well, I'm kind of like: who cares about the re-birth post-credit scene? Also, how can anyone judge a movie by one of those scenes? And as far as Hank McCoy in X2, why are you so obsessed with a scene that only lasted for a few seconds? Also, anyone who knows anything about the X-Men knows that Hank McCoy started out in human form, but later mutated into is blue-colored form. Therefore, if anything, Last Stand was correcting a 'mistake' that was made in X2(United).

But enough for now. Your posts tend to be very long, and I would have to look at the rest of it some other time.
The whole beast change was with the changes to X-men in the 1970's that brought Wolverine, Storm, Banshee and others. The way Beast was handled in First Class (besides the syrum) was basically the redo in Beast that came in the 70's. He went from the Hank McCoy look (albeit beefier) to the more known feline look.

They also had Sebastian Shaw in the same scene with McCoy both were mutants but weren't treated as mutants in that scene in X2. In a comic, a ret-con like Beast's change being a secondary mutation to his superhuman abilities is fairly easily accepted. In movies, ret-cons are harder to accept because the general public may watch X2 and X3 and wonder why Hank McCoy is human with no signs of being a blue feline looking mutant rather than a normal human. I don't know if the portrayal of McCoy was wrong with Singer's vision but then Ratner had McCoy become Beast. A casual movie fan that re-watched X-Men would be scratching their head. A better fixing of the mistake came from Days of Future Past with the drug like cure Beast created to allow Xavier to walk.

As for Xavier's re-birth it was the whole touching Spider-man/kid scene from Amazing Spider-Man 2, a down note ending for a movie that didn't need that scene.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Amen! And to a summer that basically 'sucked' when it came to big budget films.
Guardians of the Galaxy saved it. Though I am not as much a fanboy of it. Was it good, yes. Was it great, maybe. It wasn't the best Marvel movie to me like many people thought. I liked the psychology with Winter Soldier much better. X-Men did well and well liked and Capt started it in April. Transformers did well but I didn't see it but heard it was rather bad from all accounts.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
I rather go with X-Men or First Class.
Actually, I watched some Youtube clips of First Class the other day:

and no offense, but those scenes reminded me of why I didn't like that movie. Therefore, I won't be purchasing or renting First Class anytime soon.

However, if you want to see the real deal.

Quote:
I think that X-Men is perfect for anyone that is different. Not all differences are visible like say Beast. Others are more hidden. I think the Rogue one is just wanting to fit in which can be any difference whether it race, sexuality or something else. There have been gay similiarities at times besides lines in the movies. Legacy virus is entirely A.I.D.S. based over the fear that you can catch it from a mutant. There's other points that are entirely race based (like the Malcolm X vs. MLK debates about Magneto and Xavier and now Cyclops who is basically Stokely Carmichael now.)
I didn't know anything about the Legacy virus. Also, how is Cyclops like Stokely Carmichael now?

Quote:
There was some changes too. Green Goblin's death wasn't because he had killed Gwen Stacey, it was because of capturing Mary Jane Watson AND trying to kill the cable car passengers. It was more like the 90's Fox Series who didn't have a Gwen Stacy (she debuted in the finale in an alternate reality) where Green Goblin sent Mary Jane into limbo before ending up in limbo himself.
I think that you mentally phased out into another movie or somewhere else.

Quote:
As for first villain, it is his most famous so it's like trying to do a Batman movie franchise without starting off with The Joker.
I understand that, but the point that I was making was that SM1 only changed two things from the origin source story, and I understand why they changed the villain.

Also, when I compare that to First Class, First Class takes so many bizarre liberties with the X-Men origin story, it's not even funny.

However, I guess we can say that this is a matter of: to each their own.

Quote:
As we go on later, there was more and more like the "black suit" (Venom) being from a meteor rather than being found during the secret wars (to be fair, it is something that wouldn't happen now.)
Sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about.(And you don't have to worry about explaining it.)

Quote:
I think the main problem is people didn't check with what was canon from the previous movies (which itself at times was mismatched (look at Beast from X-men 2 to X-men 3.))
Well, not only that, but sometimes they come up with new and different ideas from the previous movies. Such as Charles not knowing why Magneto's helmet blocks his powers in X1.

Quote:
To be fair, Angel and Iceman are the only young heroes in the original X-Men movies who were the true first-class.
Huh? No, that is incorrect. But so were Cyclops, Jean, and a non-blue Beast. Also, I think that I had already mentioned that.

Quote:
It doesn't really fit in cannon due to events referenced even in the original movies due to Sabertooth not remembering Wolverine in X-Men despite being his bestie until about 1977.
I really wished that you would include my quotes with my screen-name code so that I can understand what you are talking about rather than for me having to jump back and forth to your post #101 on page 11.

But anyway, is that why a lot of people criticized Orgins: Wolverine? Because the way that I look at it is that Orgins: Wolverine produced a better story with Victor and Logan being halfsies.

Quote:
If it was a standalone film not attached to the already established X-Men franchise, it would be a good maybe even great film.
But what difference does that make? Because good is good, and if the story was actually good or great, then deviating from cannon wouldn't have made it ungood or ungreat. Also, movies do it all the time, and if the end product turns out to be great, then it turns out to be great.

Quote:
The problem is there was already expectations of the established movie canon of Sabertooth not knowing Wolverine. I'm not even going into the mistakes of the movie canon to the comic canon (like Deadpool having different powers and not just being Captain America who can travel across dimensions.)
Oh, boo-hoo. People need to grow up. Also, Deadpool just being Captain America? What are you talking about?

[quote=mkpunk;35839901]I feel X-Men First Class had a nice aerial battle as well as the whole Azazel fight with Beast.

Oh, well. As I have said before: to each his own.

Quote:
X-Men Days of Future Past had a GREAT fight with the X-Men of the future and the sentinels.
Well, yeah, they were visually appealing, however, like I said before, they were more like slaughters than fight scenes.

Also, I'm hoping that sometime in the future they'll do one of the other Sentinel stories from the comic books where the Sentinels have their traditional purple and maroon colors:

and where they're able to get their asses kicked:

Now that would be some good fighting.

Or even this simulation scene from Last Stand:

Quote:
As for Star Wars 1 being an origin, I'd argue it wasn't because it was (in skeleton) already written before Episode IV was even shot.
And how does that not make it an origin story?

Last edited by Tom Parkerman; 08-31-2014 at 07:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies