Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 02:27 AM

2,322 posts, read 923,382 times

Advertisements

Harry ChickPea, thank you for bringing this article to my attention. Being born and raised in The Bronx I used to frequent The Whitestone Cinemas and The American Theater and I can't say that I am surprised that they closed.

Quote:
Both the American and the Whitestone had been around for generations but the Whitestone, which was a drive-in for decades before it was converted into a multiplex, is missed mainly because the Bronx is so short on screens. In recent years it had gained a reputation for badly behaved audiences and unpleasant environs.
The columnist was being too kind here. The Whitestone was so bad in the late 80s that IIRC armed and even K9 security companies were employed. Shootings and stabbings were common, especially during showings of rap or gang related movies. The theater was in an isolated area so when it came time to go home you could walk(not advised unless accompanied by several friends), hope for a cab or drive there and pray that your vehicle was still in the parking lot when the movie was over.

The American was in a very densely populated apartment complex, but it was a small theater. Great place to catch an early showing(bound to get a seat), but uncomfortable when the house was packed and that's if you got in at all. A lot also depended on the movie you wanted to watch. It's location made it very easy for groups of teenagers to go in without the need for adult supervision. And once inside they could and often would become very disruptive.

When my son was at an age that he could appreciate going to the movies, I took him to Manhattan - Lincoln Square on 68th and Broadway. Multiple screens plus IMAX. Woohoo! The trip was worth it I loved watching his face light up at seeing all the people on the train and on the streets of the city.

I remember riding on a bus passing and seeing the marquee on the Prospect Theater(Bronx,NY) advertising a movie that was playing on tv. They were showing the same movie, that had been on television, for over two weeks. An acquaintance shared that he had attended one of the showings and that the theater was charging <$6, with a little over 50% of occupancy and was making a killing at the concession stand the day he went. Granted this was back in the early 90s when home entertainment systems were not anywhere near where they are today, but I guess it gives some credence to those that say that some movies were meant to be seen on the big screen. The theater was restored in 2000 and closed as the Olympic Concert Hall in 2006.

Bamford thanks for the photos of all those great theaters. I haven't been to a theater in four years but when I did, I preferred to go alone. As inviting as those beds are, I think I would feel self conscious laying on one by myself

I remember going to a theater in Atlanta back in 2000 where you were seated at table and could order food and it would be brought to you. I was there with a gf watching The Perfect Storm. We went to the watch the movie after having a nice dinner but I still felt compelled to order something. I enjoyed being able to eat real food while watching the flick. Buuuuuuuttt... forty five minutes into the movie the wait staff were still taking orders and serving food and I found that to be a distraction

After reading the article and this thread, I'm wondering where is the movie experience heading? Which group of consumers are the movies execs going to serve? The ones that prefer direct to consumer or those that prefer the theater experience? Can they profitably do both? Will the surviving theaters have to be gimicky? Maybe a commode built into the seat, so one doesn't have to get up to use the restroom? Will all movies be in an IMAX format? Maybe a theater where the screen wraps around three walls? Or a theater that seats 10 people and the movie is a hologram where you feel like you're part of the story.

I know I'm talking nonsense.

Please indulge my nostalgic moment here. One of my earliest memories of going to the movies was getting to see two martial arts movies, one karate and one kung fu with my mom and brother in the late 60s early 70s. When we left, there wasn't a garbage can or light post that we didn't kick or karate chop the heck out of. I even think my mom made a lame attempt at a front kick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 02:48 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winrunner View Post

Bamford thanks for the photos of all those great theaters. I haven't been to a theater in four years but when I did, I preferred to go alone. As inviting as those beds are, I think I would feel self conscious laying on one by myself
LOL - not sure about the beds myself, think I still prefer a comfy seat. I do love proper old fashioned picture houses, and I know NYC has some very nice art house cinemas as well.

I am also glad to see these more off beat cinemas doing quite well as opposed to the more bland and corporate big company out of town shopping mall type chains.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:06 AM

Last edited by Bamford; 07-07-2014 at 10:48 AM..

Old 07-07-2014, 03:09 PM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Im on a lovely site run by a man who was a projectionist since a young man... he has wonderful photos and memories of the old days when the cinema was a night out for families.. Login Required | THE JUBILEE REGAL HOME CINEMA AND SILVER SCREEN

Old 07-08-2014, 05:07 AM

The Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle Upon Tyne is a really good independent cinema - it was opened by Dixon Scott, great Uncle of British Directors Ridley Scott and his late brother Tony Scott.

Tyneside Cinema, Newcastle Upon Tyne, England

The Tyneside Cinema

Tyneside Cinema - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-08-2014, 07:02 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
LOL - not sure about the beds myself, think I still prefer a comfy seat. I do love proper old fashioned picture houses, and I know NYC has some very nice art house cinemas as well.

I am also glad to see these more off beat cinemas doing quite well as opposed to the more bland and corporate big company out of town shopping mall type chains.
I can't do theaters without stadium seating. Take away that and why bother. Having a dine and watch, I'm not sure about but wouldn't pass it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies