Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 08:43 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,640 times

Advertisements

I love suspense and horror films (the latter without too much gore, especially if it seems gratuitous). A lot of people say, "I won't be able to sleep after this," or "That movie kept me up at night," or "I'll have to sleep with the light on," etc.

Other than "The Exorcist," which I've seen probably three times in my life and each time felt profoundly disturbed, as in "Stop watching this; some things are just too evil and I can't take it" and since age 11 when I saw "Jaws" in the theater and was literally afraid to get in the bathtub for months afterward, nothing has scared me to the extent that I couldn't sleep. (Maybe "Jaws," now that I think about it -- I wouldn't even go near the ocean for years and am still uncomfortable being around large bodies of water.)

Which horror movies have affected you like this, if any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 10:19 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
I love suspense and horror films (the latter without too much gore, especially if it seems gratuitous). A lot of people say, "I won't be able to sleep after this," or "That movie kept me up at night," or "I'll have to sleep with the light on," etc.

Other than "The Exorcist," which I've seen probably three times in my life and each time felt profoundly disturbed, as in "Stop watching this; some things are just too evil and I can't take it" and since age 11 when I saw "Jaws" in the theater and was literally afraid to get in the bathtub for months afterward, nothing has scared me to the extent that I couldn't sleep. (Maybe "Jaws," now that I think about it -- I wouldn't even go near the ocean for years and am still uncomfortable being around large bodies of water.)

I'm with you on "The Exorcist". I remember watching, or at least trying to watch it, half the time covering my eyes and would always end up having nightmares or not being able to fall asleep. My biggest mistake was getting through it at 16 years old while no one was home.

Other than that movie, I watched "Gothika" late at night. It ended close to midnight--I absolutely could not sleep. "The Others" also left me very unsettled. For me, it seems that the "supernatural" type movies have that affect on me. The gorey horror movies not so much--I guess because I know it's just not real, whereas the supernatural movies are more like the "unknown", which, in my mind means, it could actually exist.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:53 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,451 times
Just curious -- for those who were frightened or disturbed by "The Exorcist", were you raised Catholic? I only ask because several of my Catholic friends were truly freaked out by it while for me (raised Protestant), it was just another corny horror flick.

I like creepy suspenseful movies much more than gory ones, and I would have to put "The Shining" (Kubrick), "Jaws", "The Descent", and "The Others" as good examples of movies that made my skin crawl. But never had sleep disturbed except for when I saw "The Shining" when I was around 10-11. Those twins in the hallway...

Old 05-30-2014, 11:52 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
I have to say, I think Exorcist is overrated. I have no idea why people find it frightening. Anyway, when I saw the first Nightmare on Elm Street I had to sleep with the light on. The Ring & The Grudge also did it for me.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:54 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,882 times
when I was a kid yeah, not so much nowadays. I remember I couldn't sleep after watching that guy's head explode in "Scanners"

Old 05-30-2014, 12:58 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post

Exorcist, hands down, the scariest movie I've ever seen.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:51 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
The Omen opened my psyche to bad things in the night.

Which now I realize was just me re-entering my body after
an OBE...and I woke up during it.
But, at the time it terrified me at 24.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:57 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
I'm not really a horror fan. The horror movies I like are the silly ones like Ghoulies, the hybrid ones like Aliens and Fright Night. I'm not into seeing the gore you get in it (yet I can watch blood pro-wrestling matches without flinching too much.)

Old 05-30-2014, 02:24 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
Just curious -- for those who were frightened or disturbed by "The Exorcist", were you raised Catholic? I only ask because several of my Catholic friends were truly freaked out by it while for me (raised Protestant), it was just another corny horror flick.

Hmm, that's a good question. I'm Catholic and we were always taught to fear Satan and I mean it was drilled into our head.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:33 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,374 times
When I was a teenager I saw Halloween alone at night and I'll admit it scared the hell out of me. I can still get scared but not usually by the gore, rather by the unexpected. I think that's where a lot of horror movies miss the boat. They pile on the gore without any chills behind it. I thought Blair Witch at the end was really creepy. The Ring, when the girl came out of the TV was also a great scare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies