Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 08:32 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,616,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Actual it's very Common to see whites and some Asians in Hispanic Gangs in Southern California.
Robert Duvall Should have won a Oscar that year for his acting in Colors
I'm sure you may find some Asians in Southern California Latino gangs, but I think that would be rare considering there was a 'green light' on Asians entering the jail/prison system during the mid 1990's to mid 2000's (targeted by Latinos). Not sure if it's still on but with all that racial animosities going on, would think it to be not common at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 08:50 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,519,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Dated, but was good for its time
Leon Robinson, Damon Wayans, Don Cheadel were all in this movie, seems weird to see them playing those roles. If someome told me Homie The Clone, War Machine and David Ruffin actors all played gang bangers in their youth, I wouldnt believe them.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:43 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
American Me
This one was really really good. One of my favorite movies of all time.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:05 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757
Never saw this until last night when it was on netflix. Pretty moving film. What do you think?
Yes it really shows the reality of things.... NOT ONLY IN CALIFORNIA but all over!!

I do like it...Might watch it again (Havent seen it in so long)

Old 04-26-2017, 06:06 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,044,056 times
I saw it in theaters. My favorite scene was when the drive by killer says " Hey, blood..." and then shoots the guy with a shot gun. I never liked Sean Penn but he did okay in this one, although Robert Duvall was key.
I just wonder, there are so many pretend gang members now, I see fake crips, bloods, Latin Kings, whatever. I'm in the suburban boonies and they wear that stuff and you just roll your eyes. Does that get tolerated in actual cities like in LA, NYC and Philly?

Old 04-26-2017, 07:02 AM

12,382 posts, read 8,134,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Used to be one of my favorite movies.

Amusing to look back and see Don Cheadle and Damon Wayans portraying hardcore Crips gang members, lol.

Also, back then you see a hint of how there were Black members in Latino gangs, something not as common these days I assume.

Colors - Rocket in Jail - Crips Throwing Up Signs - YouTube
At the time when Colors was made Black gangs did not bump up against Latino gangs in Los Angeles for the most part and the few Blacks who lived in eastern Los Angeles became part of the old line Latino gangs of their areas. I remember a magazine article in the late 80s when I got out of the Army talking about the "supergangs" and at that point of time one symptom of "super"was that Latinos were joining the Black gangs in South Central LA. But that was before a larger influx of Latinos in the area allowed the associations with 18th Street and MS-13. Latinos as they moved towards the local majority stopped being Crips or Bloods and joined the relatively new powerful Latin gangs.

It was only in this century that Latino and Black gangs started turning attention away from their same ethnic group rivals (Blood v Crip and MS-13 v 18th St) and we started to see MS-13 versus Blood, or Crip versus 18th Street as the nightmare scenario of racial conflict was beginning.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:06 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I saw it in theaters. My favorite scene was when the drive by killer says " Hey, blood..." and then shoots the guy with a shot gun. I never liked Sean Penn but he did okay in this one, although Robert Duvall was key.
I just wonder, there are so many pretend gang members now, I see fake crips, bloods, Latin Kings, whatever. I'm in the suburban boonies and they wear that stuff and you just roll your eyes. Does that get tolerated in actual cities like in LA, NYC and Philly?
The movie had a negative effect in this manner which still occurs today. Young suburban kids glorify these type of movies and walk around their communities acting tough.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:59 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I don't have fond memories of this film. It played at the 163rd St Theatre in North Miami and part of the crowd was barely controllable, even with police as security. The manager did a fairly good job keeping people safe, but it was a time when he earned his money.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:07 PM

53 posts, read 48,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
I remember a time when I watched every gangster movie I could find at the local rental store. This is one of them. Along with American Me and Blood in, Blood out.
Totally agree!!!

Old 04-28-2017, 07:41 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,362,874 times
Lame

American me, blood in blood out, menace II society all waaaay better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies