Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 04:49 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,236,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Augh! How did I forget this one?????

I have an 8 year old granddaughter who is pretty "tough" when it comes to tear jerking movies. I need to spring this one on her.

In fact, the last time she spent the night, I picked her up and told her mother and her, "Come on - time for MiMi to make you cry." It's sort of a running joke now because so far she hasn't cried over the Yearling or Dumbo. Time to break out the big guns - Where The Red Fern Grows and Marley and Me.
If those, or Old Yeller don't get her .... nothing will I tear up just thinking about them but I'm mushy like that - LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 05:02 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,922,039 times
Life is Beautiful---when Guido (played by Roberto Benigni) is marched past his young son right before he's about to be executed, and signals to his son that this, too, is just part of the game they're playing. The young son doesn't know he's been in a Nazi concentration camp because all along the father, Guido, has protected him from the horrors of their reality by saying it's all a game--to win an army tank at the end. This movie gets me every time. Heart-wrenching.

I love Roberto Benigni--such a great actor.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:46 PM

33,943 posts, read 22,378,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
the ending in the dog movie "Marley n Me". Owen Wilson stars in it.
Marley and Me! How could I forget that one. I seriously did the ugly cry in front of my son who was in middle school at the time. He was shocked I got that upset.

I thought of another one - Lorenzo's Oil when the father (cannot remember his name) looks up in the medical dictionary and determines the extent of his son's disease.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:21 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,236,939 times
I proclaim us all to be a bunch of sentimental mush-balls ..... And I'm proud to be part of that club

Oh and Tuesday's with Morrie is another one of those that will creep up on you ...

Old 12-27-2014, 08:23 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,218,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
I proclaim us all to be a bunch of sentimental mush-balls ..... And I'm proud to be part of that club
Count me in - I love crying over a good movie!

Old 12-27-2014, 08:51 PM

836 posts, read 1,027,420 times
OK- I definitely agree with Remember the Titans' scene, Lion King, Hotel Rwanda, and Pursuit of Happiness

To add:
1) Hardball- when the child is not given a ride by Keanu Reeves when asked for one (since he lives in a dangerous neighborhood) and he ends up being shot

2) Save the Last Dance- when Julia Styles is performing her final audition for Julliard and she messes up at first. While she's struggling, Sean Patrick Thomas has a big decision to make (does he stay with his thug friends and help them finish a job or does he see her final audition). He obviously made the best choice and watched her final audition and I balled my eyes out! His thug friends all went to jail, while he was accepted to med school and she got into Julliard. Love that movie!!

3) Sin Nombre- at the beginning of the movie seeing innocent Smiley get broken into the gang by being beaten consecutively for 13 seconds to prove his loyalty and initiation. Then, the final scene when Casper is murdered by Smiley (who ironically he introduced into the gang...). Smiley was trying to leave the gang and find a better life for himself, but unfortunately there was no escape.

4) Blood Diamond- start to finish

5) Mandragora- the final scene where the boy's father goes to look for his son (who became a victim of child sex trafficking) and after giving up weeps in the bathroom stall (ironically, next to the stall where the son's lifeless body lay with drugs). This film isn't on Netflix or Hulu but if you can get ahold of it, I highly recommend it.

6) Angels in the Outfield- don't ask lol

7) Not without my daughter- the final scene when Sally Field reaches America and you see the flag flying in the air. This movie really made me appreciate the freedom women have here in America and I will never take it for granted

8) Erin Brockovich- that final scene when her boss tells her that unfortunately her paycheck is not what she is expecting. So she starts cursing him out talking about all the hard work she did, yada yada. Then she opens the check and it is for FAR more than she was expecting. I cried my eyes out because this was a true story and she is a courageous woman who struggled being a single mom of 3 kids and worked her way to be successful

Ahh- so many goodies. Or maybe I'm just a softy

Old 12-27-2014, 09:40 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,475,081 times
The Passion of The Christ - all of it!

My Sister's Keeper, when Kate looks into her father's eyes (wearing a wig to disguise her bald head), and whispers "Do I look pretty, Daddy?" Our youngest daughter used to say that to my husband every time she dressed up to go somewhere, and now she never calls him.... It's been seven years. That line makes both DH and I cry.

The Flowers of War - all of it. This movie (starring Christian Bale) is beyond description. It's a work of art, yes, but... it never leaves you.

The Godfather III, first when Vincent tells Mary to "Love someone else," and then when Mary is shot. I'm fighting back tears here just thinking about it.

Sophie's Choice. I only ever get as far as her daughter's chin beginning to quiver, right before Sophie says "Take my baby! Take my little girl!" (To the crematorium.) Oh, God! Forgive us!

I can't write any more today.

Mahrie.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:08 PM

4,370 posts, read 7,019,211 times
"The Waltons" TV series
- When nurse Mary Ellen Walton hints to the little mountain cabin girl, very gently in a roundabout way, that the girl's mother has just died from T.B.

- When the frightened little boy and girl, refugees from the London Blitz (bombing) finally are able to talk to their mother overseas via "Ham Radio"

"Marty" (was awarded the Best Movie of 1954 or 1955 ?)
- When Betsy Blair tells lonely Ernest Borgnine "I do want to see you again........very much"

- When he sees her leaning over the railing on the balcony of the dance hall, crying after being abandoned by her date, and he goes over to console and gently hug her

"The Pursuit of Happyness"
- when homeless Will Smith at night, lures his son into going with him to the subway restroom to sleep, by telling him they've got to go "hide from dinosaurs"

Last edited by slowlane3; 12-27-2014 at 10:26 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 02:58 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,807,657 times
LOVE this movie..just bought it for my friend's son for Christmas.hes' 9..

Old 12-28-2014, 03:07 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,807,657 times
That scene where Sarah Jane is puling at the flowers on her mom's casket on the street in Imitation of Life and saying that she really did love her, after she treated her mom like a dog, gets me EVERY time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=HaanE7v6uJI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies