Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 03:46 AM

378 posts, read 246,109 times

Advertisements

i know it is a tv series pilot but in the "China Beach pilot movie when a badly burned solider begs Chloe Webb to sing his favorite song that made mt eyes well up and i started to cry i was just 3 years old at the time but i realized at that time how powerful music can be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 04:27 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
I saw this way back in 1974. I have never seen so many women in a cinema cry. Even my stiff upper lip wobbled.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjGCRhWJsc8

Old 05-15-2015, 12:12 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Well the movie "where the lilies bloom " made me cry when their daddy Roy Call died and they kept it a secret and their sister (debola) had to end up marrying Kiser Pease (which the middle girl hated ) . They lived up in the mountains and they were really poor . The sister and Romy (the brother ) collected herbs and stuff from the mountain to supplement their income and keep them fed . Does anyone else remember this movie besides me ? I loved this movie . I found it sad when the teacher came up to the sister and told her she had a real talent for writing and she would like to see her go to college and then at the end of the movie she was talking to Roy Call telling him that after she raised Irma Dean ( the youngest ) she was going to leave the mountain and find out what was out there for her . This girl her real name was Julia Ghoulson this was her first and last movie , she never acted again her choice though . She is now 57 and lives in Birmingham Alabama and has enjoyed her life .

Old 05-15-2015, 09:38 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzBiP7iBv70

Old 05-15-2015, 10:23 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
It's been decades, and so I can't recall the precise scenes, but The English Patient left me absolutely devastated. Made me understand what it is like to be truly alone. I did little bits of crying for weeks after seeing that one.

As for specific scenes, I'd say the horrible 'Choice Moment' from Sophie's Choice, followed by the scene in Imitation of Life, when the mother is in the nightclub's dressing room, and has agreed to say goodbye to her daughter, forever. When she says, "But before I go, I want to hold you in my arms one more time. Just like you were my baby.", I'm just on the floor, bawling. Come to think of it, that scene may be sadder than Sophie's 'Choice Moment'.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:06 AM

45 posts, read 33,958 times
Magnolia has a bunch of hem, but ...without context ...it makes little sense in showing them.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:57 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Someone repped me for this and accused me of being a troll for posting this which is hilarious. Anyone who has ever seen Jonny Sokko / Giant Robot knows how sad this is. Saw this when I was a kid and it was the very first movie that ever made me cry. Pretty much the ONLY movie to do so except for the whole Mufasa wildebeast thing.

Couldnt find the original without the silly Bon Jovi bit, but for us scifi geeks who grew up on Godzilla and giant monster movies, this was a very very sad day.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:36 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Artificial Intelligence - A.I.

When the mother abandons David (Hayley Joel Osment) and he begs her not to leave him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYgWHwMm9Uo

I don't know if I liked A.I.. I found it to be very disturbing.

Gallipoli

The final scene when the last wave of Australian soldiers are sent unnecessarily to their death because Mel Gibson's character Frank doesn't get back in time (he tried) to save his friend Archie (Mark Lee). Both young men are runners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0Ankn-AzC4

Gallipoli is my favorite movie of all time.

Testament (1983)

The whole movie is a box of Kleenex since the family and the town they live in die slow deaths due to nuclear fallout. The blast is off screen where William Devane, the father, is presumed to be dead. The saddest scene is a toss-up between the death of Scottie (a young Lukas Haas) and the death of Hiroshi (a mentally disabled neighbor kid the family takes in.) I understand this movie can be watched free online. I have the DVD. So, I will not give you a clip. It's my second all time favorite movie. Jane Alexander plays the mother.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:17 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. The bandits have all been killed and the villagers go back to their lives in peace. Kambei Shimada looks up at the graves of his companions who have died and says "again we are defeated"

Old 05-19-2015, 11:23 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times
The courtroom scene from "The Courage of Lassie".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies