Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 12:14 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,869,760 times

Advertisements

I can't wait to see this one but until we can find somewhere for our 8 year old to go, I'll have to wait. He had said he wanted to see it and then saw a commercial and said he didn't. I told him that was good b/c he wasn't seeing it until he was older. I've just read too much about how dark it is and Batman Begins was a little frightening for him when he saw it so I know this will be too much. I hate to think this is Heath's last performance though. I love him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 12:37 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I hate to think this is Heath's last performance though. I love him.

It's not. I believe he still has 1-2 movies left to come out.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:44 PM

156 posts, read 641,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
It's not. I believe he still has 1-2 movies left to come out.
I know he was in the process of filming one movie when he passed away. I'm not sure what is going to happen to that movie, whether it will continue or be cancelled.

I would like to say though that his performance in the film was mind-blowing. I am pretty sure it is one of the best acting performances I've ever seen in a movie. His creepiness and chilling character made me almost uncomfortable to watch, he was so good! Amazing, amazing, amazing!

Old 07-21-2008, 01:14 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,186,569 times
Amazing, amazing indeed...

Please check out Ned Kelly when you can. Another great performance

Ned Kelly (2003)

Old 07-21-2008, 01:16 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
My oldest went to see this last week and he said Heath Ledger rocked the joker part. He said it is even sadder now that Ledger died because most people drew their opinions of him from Brokeback Mountain. Only his performance as the joker would show how amazing of an actor he could be. For my son to say these things it must of been quite a performance.

The world will never know what Heath Ledger could have brought to us that is a shame.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:16 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,641,799 times
I just want to say that the movie was an all around A despite the length (almost 3 hours). I think Batman Returns/The Tim Burton versions were better than the latest films. Bale's version of Batman was better than the rest (Cloony sucks) only if you take out Keaton. Heath was a good Joker but he can't touch Jaaaacccckk and that's the truth. I thought it was a little weak to kill off Dent aka 2Face. I thought this was funny when my brother asked me "What if Heath faked his death to set up for a very elaborate movie premier?", I laughed because it was so absurd. Anyways, what was the Scarecrow doing on this movie? I thought they killed him on Batman Begins and who'll be the villain on the next one? The guy who said he knew Batman's ID seem like he can play the Riddler.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:31 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
***************SPOILER**************************** ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
I just want to say that the movie was an all around A despite the length (almost 3 hours). I think Batman Returns/The Tim Burton versions were better than the latest films. Bale's version of Batman was better than the rest (Cloony sucks) only if you take out Keaton. Heath was a good Joker but he can't touch Jaaaacccckk and that's the truth. I thought it was a little weak to kill off Dent aka 2Face. I thought this was funny when my brother asked me "What if Heath faked his death to set up for a very elaborate movie premier?", I laughed because it was so absurd. Anyways, what was the Scarecrow doing on this movie? I thought they killed him on Batman Begins and who'll be the villain on the next one? The guy who said he knew Batman's ID seem like he can play the Riddler.
BravoFan, a spoiler warning might be needed in your post.
You ask good questions. My only answer is that perhaps Two-Face and Scarecrow are not really dead?
I really need to see the movie again. There were a lot of tricky things here and there, and it was a long movie.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:08 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeleenieWeenie View Post
I didn't feel it was all that 'amazing'. Basically, the EFX and all the CGI (computer-gen-imaging) took over. Too much of that. In Transformers too. It begins to look like it ALL should have been done in cartoon. (IMHO) sorry, but I just dont see all the hype, unless you're 12yrs. old.
This response baffles me. I, too, get bored with CGI and action movies. I loved the first half of transformers with the humor and character development, but found myself trying to figure out which part of Detroit they were filming rather than care about how (not whether) Optimus Prime would win. To a lesser degree, the same held true for Batman Begins. Brilliant first half - more typical second half (but still good).

Dark Knight, however - for a 12 year old? This film - from start to finish - probed the depths of human consciousness and that realm when all sense of social norming is shredded - creating a situation where anything is possible and there is no way to predict motivation or outcome. It is a brilliant, thought provoking film for a real world era in which terrorism is being fought by a deeply corrupted and villanous government - and the lines between hero and murderer are blurred beyond recognition. If you didn't get that, then perhaps you don't analyze human nature very much.

For someone who does, it was a very welcome break from the normal blockbuster schlock. Usually you have to go to an arthouse flick to get that knid of view into human nature. Here it was tangoing mercilessly with rolling trucks and flying comic book characters.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:11 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
Scarecrow wasn't in this movie. Some guy dressed up pretending to be Scarecrow - fighting guys dressed up pretending to be Batman - were in the movie.

Wouldn't Johnny Depp make an interesting Riddler?

Old 07-21-2008, 05:40 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,934,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stotan88 View Post
I know he was in the process of filming one movie when he passed away. I'm not sure what is going to happen to that movie, whether it will continue or be cancelled.

I would like to say though that his performance in the film was mind-blowing. I am pretty sure it is one of the best acting performances I've ever seen in a movie. His creepiness and chilling character made me almost uncomfortable to watch, he was so good! Amazing, amazing, amazing!
Speaking of Johnny Depp.... He's replacing Heath in a movie that had begun fiming a month prior to his death. The film had Heath play a character in the main character's dreams. After his passing, the producers, director, and writers came up with multiple actors to play the Heath character. Johnny Depp is one and I believe (don't quote me on this one) Christian Slater. They said there will be a total of four to six different actors stepping up to the plate in honor of Mr. Ledger. Filming is continuing and they are trying to finish this fall for an early winter release.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies