Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 03:06 PM

949 posts, read 685,742 times

Advertisements

Is this the strangest movie ever made? It's the Tod Browning movie,Freaks. The way I see it, it's the strangest because it featured Real-life human oddities, such as Real Conjoined-Twins and Real Bearded Lady, etc.

Freaks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 09:50 AM

23,558 posts, read 70,067,529 times
I've seen it a couple times in the past. The plot line of it is not terribly out of keeping with plot lines of the times. The acting was better than I expected. I didn't find it objectionable at all, but it does stretch the ability of those focused on physical perfection to recognize that people aren't all gorgeous movie actors.

Strangest motion picture...

Melies magic films were odd. Russian Ark with the one camera, no cuts for the length of the film was odd. Fantasia was odd. I'd have to think a while about what might be the strangest film I've seen. Offensive films are a dime a dozen.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:40 PM

256 posts, read 341,800 times
Eraserhead (1977) - IMDb

Old 09-04-2014, 01:50 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,513,348 times
I would say there are other movies that are much stranger that I would have seen. I want to see the Room though. Hear that Is a weird movie.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:34 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,645,074 times
Before clicking into the discussion- Eraserhead came to my mind.

I have not seen Freaks, but a movie about human oddities does not strike me as strange in the least bit. We know that ther are people like that out there, its life. That is not strange to me.

Now Eraserhead is just bizarre.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:34 PM

949 posts, read 685,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Before clicking into the discussion- Eraserhead came to my mind.

I have not seen Freaks, but a movie about human oddities does not strike me as strange in the least bit. We know that ther are people like that out there, its life. That is not strange to me.

Now Eraserhead is just bizarre.
Since you admitted you have not seen Freaks, I really think you would change your opinion if you see the film. The way it was presented was quite bizarre. Anyhow, human oddities are abnormal, so under that criteria, they would be defined as strange.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:30 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,777,739 times
Human centipede anyone?

Old 09-27-2014, 08:43 PM

4,654 posts, read 4,095,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
Is this the strangest movie ever made? It's the Tod Browning movie,Freaks. The way I see it, it's the strangest because it featured Real-life human oddities, such as Real Conjoined-Twins and Real Bearded Lady, etc.

Freaks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Done again in an awful 70's horror film called THE SENTINAL.

FREAKS was actually a terrific and compelling film, and the freaks come off as being very noble. One of the small men in the film went on to play "Master" in the third Mad Max film.

Todd Browning, who directed FREAKS, was a bit of a nut. He used to work in the circus in an act where they would bury him alive for a day, and dig him up, doing a ceremony to "resurrect" him. He would sleep about two hours a night and stay up drinking. Since so many of his movies had castration themes (a scene in which they castrate the strongman was forced to be re-edited in FREAS) it has been speculated that there might have been some kind of accident in his own life.

For a good companion piece, see Browning direct Lon Chaney in THE UNKNOWN.

I would have a lot of answers.

SUSPIRIA (actually, anything by Dario Argento)
EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC
CIRCLE OF IRON
THE LADY IN THE WATER
PHANTASM
THE VISITOR
THE HITCHER

Could probably think of hundred others.

Last edited by cachibatches; 09-27-2014 at 08:51 PM..

Old 09-28-2014, 01:26 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,072,842 times
I have some weird ones. Freaks was chilling to watch esp toward the end.

El Topo
Society
Fear X
Chasing sleep
Vanishing point
The prince of darkness
The wicker man (NOT the awful remake!)
Children shouldn't play with dead things

Old 09-28-2014, 01:33 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,398,773 times
I've wanted to watch FearX again but apparently the only way would be to buy the disc.
Aaaah,should I admit to watching Human Centipede. What is wrong with me.

Yep, Eraserhead is bizaare, especially where he is talking to the "baby" or cornish hen or whatever.

Another suggestion is anything by Stan Brakhage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies