Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 09:44 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeSentMe View Post
Not a scary movie, but "Stand By Me". I swear the scene with the dead kid traumatized me when I was about 10. I don't know why. I avoid everything having to do with that movie because of that one scene. I just can't bring myself to watch it even as an adult. I literally broke into a sweat once because someone was watching the movie in another room and I was afraid I'd see it by accident.
What the....? Lol, seriously? Interesting. Actually, that movie provided me with one of my biggest laugh sessions, when he was telling the story about the blueberry pie eating contest & calling the big kid Wide Load. I don't know why, but when I first saw that I laughed til I cried. I know, it's hurtful but I couldn't help it.

The Ring & The Grudge traumatized me. As for newer films, The Conjouring was very good. That was the first time I got a little spooked watching a horror movie by myself in a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 12:08 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,433,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
What the....? Lol, seriously? Interesting. Actually, that movie provided me with one of my biggest laugh sessions, when he was telling the story about the blueberry pie eating contest & calling the big kid Wide Load. I don't know why, but when I first saw that I laughed til I cried. I know, it's hurtful but I couldn't help it.

I think his name was Lard Ass.

Yes, I'm dead serious. I've seen plenty of scary movies, but that dramedy is what had that kind of effect on me the most. Not to say true horror movies didn't because they did, but there's just something about that dead kid.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:23 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,751 times
The Shining--just the thought of your Dad/husband turning into a psycho and trying to kill you was terrifying. Burnt Offerings (Karen Black!) and The Amityville Horror (James Brolin losing it!) are close seconds. I read the Amityville book and then couldn't even look at the book cover! I had to hide the book so I wouldn't be reminded. Helter Skelter was another scary one for me because it's based on a true story. Man, now that I think of it---there are plenty of movies that were scary for me.

(LOL at the person above who mentioned the wrestling scene in Borat! hahaha!)

Old 11-21-2014, 07:25 PM

366 posts, read 433,072 times
The Shining and The Amityville Horror (1979 version). Both movies were very subtle in their scares and were not over the top garbage like a lot of modern day horror movies.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:35 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,565 times
I saw Mama with Jessica Chastain..it was pretty scary...

Old 11-22-2014, 12:39 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times
The Vanishing. The original Dutch version - not the completely altered American version.

It is a slow-moving, creepy "thriller", where you wonder the whole movie.... what happened to the young woman? Where did she disappear to? Is she alive? Dead? Who is this odd man that the movie keeps following...? What is going on?

And then the last scenes, where you discover what happened to her.... psychologically, one of the most disturbing, scary moments for me I have experienced.

I was a lover of horror movies as a child and saw them all. But this one stuck with me the most. The horror of people, and what they can potentially do.... that is truly scary.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:20 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
The Vanishing. The original Dutch version - not the completely altered American version.

It is a slow-moving, creepy "thriller", where you wonder the whole movie.... what happened to the young woman? Where did she disappear to? Is she alive? Dead? Who is this odd man that the movie keeps following...? What is going on?

And then the last scenes, where you discover what happened to her.... psychologically, one of the most disturbing, scary moments for me I have experienced.

I was a lover of horror movies as a child and saw them all. But this one stuck with me the most. The horror of people, and what they can potentially do.... that is truly scary.
I've heard the Dutch original is much better than The Vanishing. It's actually open in another tab for me to watch when I have a bit of time for a movie. I already know I will want to watch in one sitting.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:21 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeSentMe View Post
I think his name was Lard Ass.

Yes, I'm dead serious. I've seen plenty of scary movies, but that dramedy is what had that kind of effect on me the most. Not to say true horror movies didn't because they did, but there's just something about that dead kid.
Lard Ass Hogan, but they did call him other names, including Wide Load. If I remember correctly, that came from a bunch of teenagers. The old guys cracked me up, though. "BOOM ba ba BOOM" Heh.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:27 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
As for newer films, The Conjouring was very good. That was the first time I got a little spooked watching a horror movie by myself in a long time.
Agreed... it was great. The even did a good job with the limited appearance of the Annabelle doll. I'm looking forward to Conjuring 2 next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post
Annabelle really did it for me. Some horror movies like the first Child's Play and Paranormal Activity save most of the action for the end, but this movie was just in your face terrifying from the get-go. Not to mention, as horror villains go, you can't beat Satan himself.
I give Conjuring a 10... Annabelle a 7. It wasn't bad and had a few good scares but overall Conjuring was much better. Spinoffs usually aren't as good and I didn't expect it to be.

On a side note....

It's easy to see why they changed the doll's appearance for the movies. Raggedy Ann just isn't scary... or is she? LOL

Going to see the Warren's museum in CT is on my bucket list now...

Old 11-24-2014, 08:39 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post

I liked them both. The original was definitely the scarier of the two.

I've been to the location of the abduction in the American version.... it's a gas station right off I-90 in North Bend, WA. It's was kinda cool... parking my car in the exact same spot the Keifer and Sandra parked the red jeep when she went into the store. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies