U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 12:17 PM

9,151 posts, read 15,794,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk4894 View Post
taking my brother and my mum to watch Men in Black 2.
Your earliest memory of the movies is from 2002?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 12:28 AM

162 posts, read 107,016 times
Movie: Jaws or Voyage Into Space

TV Show: Little House on the Prairie

Cartoon: Rabbit of Seville

Old 03-22-2015, 04:53 PM

349 posts, read 158,666 times
Hmmm is kinda hard to say was very young proably Rumble Fish or some early 80's horror films .

Old 03-23-2015, 07:19 PM

13,503 posts, read 14,404,199 times
Although I must have seen movies before this, I have good memories of how engaging the movie Shane (with Alan Ladd) was when I saw it as a kid in the mid-1950's with my parents and my sister in a movie theatre. When I saw the movie again as an adult many years later, I was NOT disappointed. A real classic, and for good reason.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:23 PM

15,924 posts, read 15,156,936 times
My brother took me to see Forbidden Planet when it first came out...

Old 03-24-2015, 01:02 AM

16,192 posts, read 3,915,853 times
I used to go to the movies every Saturday afternoon when I was a kid. I'd watch anything...... whatever was on that week. One afternoon my friend and I watched Geronimo starring Chuck Connors. We were so impressed, we sat through the next show. When we got home our parents were angry because we were much later than expected. My friend and I talked for days about this great movie.

Many years later, my son was a similar age to when I saw Geronimo, and it was coming on tv!! I said, "we have to watch this, it's a great movie!" Well......... Chuck Connors with his blue eyes playing a Native American didn't quite hit the spot this time! Since Geronimo, I had seen movies like Soldier Blue, and Little Big Man. It just wasn't the same........ But, I still have the great memory of coming out of the movie house, running down the street with my friend, shouting Geronimo!!

Old 03-24-2015, 07:39 AM

8,089 posts, read 6,153,822 times
My family never went to the movie theater as they were too busy with work and raising kids. I saw a bit of Blue Water White Death(1971) in the movie theaters until Mom yanked me out of the theater(with some slapping thrown in for good measure) due to the graphic shark attacks shown. I did see Bednobs and Broomsticks that year. I was born in 1964.

I do recall we watched the Spanish Dracula at home on a projector circa 1968. (projected against the wall with a bedsheet serving as the screen.) I guess it would be 8mm.
this film Dracula (1931 Spanish-language film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It scared me.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:44 PM

162 posts, read 107,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I do recall we watched the Spanish Dracula at home on a projector circa 1968.
Woah, you just have me a flashback. This is another of my first memories of film.

My parents let me stay up all night to watch a vampire marathon on rabbit-ear television. Spoiler alert: I failed at staying awake all night.

The movies were all horrible, but they did a great job in the variety department. I'll never forget Blacula. They had some silly western thrown in there. Maybe Abbot and Costello showed up.

There was one where, at the beginning, the protagonist was going over the list of ways vampires could die. Stake through the heart, sunlight, etc. His last one was something about having the vampire surrounded by water. I remember thinking "Oh, here we go." Sure enough, the hero gets the vampire on a frozen lake and shoots the ice all around him. The vampire is standing on a tiny island of ice and dies.

So that movie was also my first memory of rolling my eyes at a plot trope. If some off-the-wall concept is introduced early, that's what will be referenced later in the film.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:59 AM

4,456 posts, read 2,988,223 times
Re: "when I was a kid, theaters were big and grand and the screen was bigger than a house, today you watch movies on a postage stamp in a room the size of a storage shed"

Hehe now that's a review!...;-)...Going to movies back in that time had viewers going into 'dreams' literally in that big, grand, dark dark room. i mean it was quiet, quiet, quiet!! The audience 'dreamed' together for hours.....

Old 03-25-2015, 12:34 PM

2,882 posts, read 2,021,136 times
When I was five years old, my family rented 'Titanic'. It was split between two vhs tapes. The sinking scene captivated me. Then when I got a little older, I saw 'The Matrix Reloaded'. It was one of the best movie experiences of my life, besides 'Titanic'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies