U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 01:26 PM

2,068 posts, read 1,144,357 times

Advertisements

About the first adult movie that made an impression on me was an Alfred Hitchcock movie, The Trouble With Harry.

It was Shirley MacLaine's first movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 06:46 PM

9,585 posts, read 3,820,114 times
I'm sure I went to movies before this, but the earliest movie experience I recall was a double feature at the drive-in of Aristocats and Mary Poppins.

Old 09-17-2016, 06:55 PM

9,585 posts, read 3,820,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Your earliest memory of the movies is from 2002?
I know, this thread makes me feel old!

Old 09-18-2016, 12:57 AM

1,150 posts, read 337,956 times
Going to the drive-in as a child. I have vague memories of "Song of the South", and "Deliverance", of all films. I remember falling asleep at the drive-in, being a little kid and all.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:56 AM

19,698 posts, read 40,071,307 times
My mother grew up in Atlanta GA area and one of her best friends from childhood was the manager of an Atlanta movie house...my grandfather owned the Hapeville Cab company in the 50s. As a child--and I mean like 5-6 yrs old because we moved back to Texas when I was 7-- I could get a cab to take me to the movie and Joyce, my mom's friend, let me into the movie for free with free concessions...
I remember one time going to a movie and a man came and set beside me...I moved...
he followed...and tried to touch my leg...I got up and went to the usher...there were ushers at back of theaters back then and they made the guy leave...

People were really very trusting back then...

Not my earliest memory but as older child...maybe 12 or so in late 50s/early 60s--
can remember going to movie in small town in TX where we lived and sitting upstairs in the "colored" zone...
Manager came up and made us move

Still love the movies...go every weekend at least...
Took our kids when they were babies and nursed them...
our kids never misbehaved in movies and our son especially still loves to go...
Looking back I should have been a movie critic...
Being paid to watch movies is dream job...

Old 09-18-2016, 08:04 AM

19,698 posts, read 40,071,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Please Don't Eat the daisies
All the dancing movies with fred astaire and rosemary clooney
Magnificent Obsession
Grace Kelly High Society
Breakfast at Tiffany's ( Audrey Hepburn)
Rosemary Clooney, George's aunt, was a singer and made few if any movies...Fred Astair's best known partner was Ginger Rogers, but Judy Garland (Easter Parade) and Cyd Charise were two others...

Old 09-20-2016, 08:13 PM

862 posts, read 493,826 times
Earliest movie experience..watching Snoopy Come Home. The place was packed !! Sometime afterward my cousin and I did return to the same theater to see the movie BEN about the little boy and rats. We were the only ones in the theater. Don't remember much about the movie itself but walking out of the theater and passing by the snack bar I do remember seeing a big black rat on the counter eating popcorn. My cousin and I walked outside and saw the staff standing around smoking. I do remember my cousin telling them about the rat in the snack bar and we were told that was Ben as he was taking a break from the movie before the next showing and I being a stupid kid believed them !! The next day at school I actually had bragged to my friends that I had seen a big movie star the night before. BEN THE RAT !! Years later I was told that the theater had a problem with rodents getting inside thanks to a massive amount of construction going on in the area at the time.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:36 AM

111 posts, read 21,208 times
First movie I ever saw in a theatre was Walt Disney's Sword in the Stone. I was a toddler and it was the 1980s. I also remember seeing several other Walt Disney films in the 1980s that were re-releases of classics that my parents had seen when they were my age.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:21 PM

316 posts, read 76,846 times
Lots of bad, live action Disney films. Some of them starring Kurt Russell as Dexter o' Reilly boy genius (The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes). Then there were others like The Shaggy DA, The North Avenue Irregulars, and both of the Apple Dumpling Gang movies.

The 70's were certainly a low point for the Disney dream factory.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:41 AM

12,813 posts, read 5,841,829 times
The school holidays when the local Strand Theater would have an afternoon of cartoons.

But the weirdest memory took place later. It was 1960, and my grandmother had taken me to "the big city" and its spectacular movie house (at leased compared to our local Strand) to see "It Started In Naples" starring Clark Gable and Sophia Loren. When we walked out of the theater, a newsstand was hawking the Rochester Times-Union newspaper with the headline that Clark Gable had just died from a heart attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies