U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:55 AM

715 posts, read 478,567 times

Advertisements

mine was watching Stuart Little one in the cinema or watching Nacho Libre in a nearly empty cinema.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 10:46 AM

3,552 posts, read 4,870,237 times
when I was a kid, theaters were big and grand and the screen was bigger than a house, today you watch movies on a postage stamp in a room the size of a storage shed

Old 10-25-2014, 08:35 PM

731 posts, read 1,161,979 times
Default what is your earliest memory of film?

Earliest memory is the Grand Theater showing:
The Blob
The Tingler
The Birds
King Kong vs Godzilla
Wednesday night was 15 cent night, there were Saturday Matinee and Double Feature after midnight on Saturday night.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:29 PM

11,549 posts, read 13,236,448 times
My earliest memory of going to a theater was in Hawaii when I was 3. I don't remember the film, but I lost a flip flop and thought I was in big trouble.

The next theater experience I remember was about a year later in Oslo. The film was Disney's Snow White. I remember my mother buying marzipan treats shaped and painted like carrots to eat during the movie.

About a year after that, I saw Star Wars in its original run. Mind blown.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:42 PM

3,943 posts, read 3,215,568 times
ET and Fantasia. Both movies I hated.

Especially Fantasia.. I was so traumatized. For a 3 year old, I couldn't understand what was going on and the music in the background with dark imagery terrified me.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:09 PM

28,600 posts, read 35,680,447 times
My grandmother and I took the bus downtown to the movies and then we went to Woolworths for banana splits. Either the movie, or the banana splits were $.25. Maybe both of them were.
I remember a movie about the Amazon Jungle in which some poor saps fell in the water and were eaten by piranhas. Also, I remember seeing Darby O'Gill and the Little People and was very scared by the banshees.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:18 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,033,671 times
I'm sure I saw some kids' movies earlier than this, but seeing both Little Mermaid and Home Alone in their original run, roughly at the same time, was very memorable.

Honorable mention to Batman Returns a couple years later - it was by far the darkest thing I'd ever seen, and was pretty damn intense for me at the time.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:14 PM

16,127 posts, read 3,896,721 times
My earliest memory of film is about 1956. My dad took me to re a re-run of 'Samson and Delilah' starring Victor Mature and Hedy Lamarr. Although I was only three years old, I sat quietly, and watched the film. I remember being astonished by the giant screen, and the movie being in colour.

The one thing that bugs me, is I remember a scene in the film that just isn't there when I have seen the movie on television. I remember it very clearly. When Samson is pushing at the pillars to bring the temple down, the crowd are laughing at his efforts. All of a sudden, there is a sound of the pillars moving. Then the building starts to collapse. There is a man on the roof of the temple looking over the edge. He has been laughing until suddenly, all around his legs the floor cracks, and he falls off the roof.

I have seen the film a few times on tv over the years. This scene is never there. I know what I saw when I was a little kid.......... My wife laughs when we have watched the film. I am always thinking, surely, sooner or later, there will be a copy of the film shown with this tiny scene in it....... it must exist somewhere!!

Old 10-30-2014, 11:49 AM

9,150 posts, read 15,762,313 times
...Seeing Benji in the movie theater, preceded by the General Cinema logo/song:

General Cinema Corporation - Feature Presentation - 1977 - YouTube

Snow caps, Raisinets, and a Dr. Pepper.

Benji came out in 1974 (I was 5) and the above link shows how the opening was in 1977. I actually remember it as a little slower version.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:07 AM

6,244 posts, read 3,153,475 times
Oliver!

It was a friend's birthday party and they took all of us to the movies and that was playing. I must have been about 7 or so.

Since I knew NOTHING of the story, I honestly expected Oliver, upon his escape from the funeral home's basement, to run into some girl and for the story to continue from there.

I suppose I might have seen this or that movie at an earlier age, but I'll have to check IMDB in those years, see what came out, and probably do some meditation to access those memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies