Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 07:08 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That is because EVERY movie studio does the same. To not think that is naive. Warner Brothers has gone through about 10 undone Batman and Superman projects that were never done. One (Superman Lives) was even minutes from being filmed before it was canceled. Other were in various degrees of pre-production or proposal (similar to the numerous Spider-man ideas tossed around.) We also saw fights about other projects which definitely happened with even the Walt Disney Company at times. NOTE: I am not condoing the borderline racist e-mails, the comments about Angelina Jolie and all the silly ideas for Spider-Man movies BUT every movie studio has done that. The only difference is we now know that it happened in Sony.

Also I doubt other companies wouldn't have caved. Disney wouldn't have even done this movie since stopping their Miramax and Dimension brands but IF they had done a movie through those brands, they would have pulled it. I am sure Universal would have done the exact same thing as would Fox, Paramount and Warner the three other major studios. It's not necessarily cowering in fear, it's fear of being responsible should a terrorist attack happen, especially with a threat of that magnitude.

Your first paragraph is exactly what I said. The last one is speculation and, if others would have caved, too, makes them as bad. And...um...that's the thrust of what we're discussing here.

They're cowards. Just as the OP said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 08:28 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
The hackers are not only black mailing Sony but threatening the company and all involved too. According
to Sony's CEO, they wanted to release, they still want to release it, they were unable to release it
because movie theaters, many under pressure from shopping centers and neighborhoods would not
show it.
This information was released late last night by CNN. No movie studio has stood up for Sony.
There should be more information and reports about this today.
That doesn't explain the emergency replacement of billboards. All they have to do is release it free over the cloud like in Sex Tape

Old 12-20-2014, 09:21 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
you know...this whole affair will make a good movie

Old 12-20-2014, 11:42 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Your first paragraph is exactly what I said. The last one is speculation and, if others would have caved, too, makes them as bad. And...um...that's the thrust of what we're discussing here.

They're cowards. Just as the OP said.
Ok so say you ran Alamo Drafthouse (one of the theaters that actually was willing to show that as well as replacing it with Team America) and decided to show the movie and one of your theaters had got shot up, and another got bombed for airing the movie. I doubt people will actually come to the theater and you will get sued by survivors and the dead victims' families because you laughed at a possible threat if terrorist activit and said it won't happen to us.

This is why I don't think it is an act of cowardice. The studio and movie theaters that initially pulled the theater weighed the pros of having the movie released and the cons and decided that the cons held more weight. Most decided to go with public safety over profits. However, many including myself up till 24 hours ago thought it was wrong to actually put public safety over profits.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Ok so say you ran Alamo Drafthouse (one of the theaters that actually was willing to show that as well as replacing it with Team America) and decided to show the movie and one of your theaters had got shot up, and another got bombed for airing the movie. I doubt people will actually come to the theater and you will get sued by survivors and the dead victims' families because you laughed at a possible threat if terrorist activit and said it won't happen to us.

This is why I don't think it is an act of cowardice. The studio and movie theaters that initially pulled the theater weighed the pros of having the movie released and the cons and decided that the cons held more weight. Most decided to go with public safety over profits. However, many including myself up till 24 hours ago thought it was wrong to actually put public safety over profits.

The fact that we're a litigious society has nothing to do with allowing threats of every nature to restrict our liberties.

And, BTW, chuck the profit crud because every part of the entertainment industry exists to entertain, and that results in [gasp!] profits--just like every other business.

They wimped out.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:52 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
i can understand the theaters getting all wimpy and refusing to show it because of possible attacks by crazy people here (does anynone really think N. Korea has sleeper movie going agents here?) but Sony really blew it. They've said they're not going to release it anywhere, no pay per view, no DVD, nada.

Sony Pictures cancels 'The Interview' theatrical release (update)

What they should have done is hold a press conference, announce the release of the DVD as soon as possible and that they were going to send a special collector's edition to Kim Jong-un.

The idiots in NK have already come out and basically said Sony was doing the right thing, but they better watch it from here on out. As much as I can't stand Michael Moore, he was right. NK is now running Sony.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
The fact that we're a litigious society has nothing to do with allowing threats of every nature to restrict our liberties.

And, BTW, chuck the profit crud because every part of the entertainment industry exists to entertain, and that results in [gasp!] profits--just like every other business.

They wimped out.
It entirely does. Sony might have had people see the movie to help it because of it's for the good of 'Murica and we shouldn't let the terrorists win. But even if it was a copy cat whack job that commits an act of terror, the theater and the distributor is liable for it knowing full well and not doing enough in light of veiled threats. If you can sue Cinemark Theaters based on the Aurora Century 12 having no clue of The Dark Knight Rises premier, you Damn well bet you any attacks based off of The Interview would be in court and DEFINITELY found at fault and coppable.

Call it cowering, it is being socially responsible if only fir profit.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
It entirely does. Sony might have had people see the movie to help it because of it's for the good of 'Murica and we shouldn't let the terrorists win. But even if it was a copy cat whack job that commits an act of terror, the theater and the distributor is liable for it knowing full well and not doing enough in light of veiled threats. If you can sue Cinemark Theaters based on the Aurora Century 12 having no clue of The Dark Knight Rises premier, you Damn well bet you any attacks based off of The Interview would be in court and DEFINITELY found at fault and coppable.

Call it cowering, it is being socially responsible if only fir profit.

Huh?

Old 12-21-2014, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Huh?
To say Sony the theaters simply cowered is an under-informed decision. One I admit I shared until Thursday night after thinking about it long and hard and hearing different views. Many people think companies have some degree of social responsibility towards employees, customers and others in the value chain (for studios it is the employees at the local Cineplex.) Had an attack happened, many of us would blame both the chain AND Sony regardless of if the person had ties to the hackers or not because they didn't take the threat seriously. I would say that even without myself or someone in my circle being in the attack. Then add in the fact that they showed the movie despite the veiled threat would be enough for them to be owned by any victim or victim's family of said potential attack.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:26 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,617,606 times
You know in one way this experience is a great test lab for how we'll handle future stuff like this. I mean what'll we do on REAL serious stuff if some 'evil ones' say if US citizens persist to continue to raise their flags and say the Pledge of Allegiance then you will suffer GRAVE consequences...'you are warned, you will pay dearly'. I hope we got a response and a book to consult no doubt Sony'll be in it in whatnot to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies