Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 10:24 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

I was pleased to see "Whiplash" get nomination for Best Picture--
it is always rewarding when a low-budget but quality film does get recognition--
doubly sweet that "Unbroken" was not nominated...
"Boyhood" might win but it is more about being audacious with a concept--
saw the movie and while Arquette and Hawke's performances were very strong, thought the film overall was just like watching a made-for-tv growing up in a broken home opus
Love the setting wheich of course was in Austin area of TX where I grew up--and there was authenticity that many movies lack in giving the sense of being grounded in a time/location
but I was not that enamored of Coltrane's portrayal--thought he was just flat most of the time---
not like the breakout roles of Tatum O'Neal or Christian Bale in their first roles---

give the director best Director win and choose another movie for best picture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 07:11 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
doubly sweet that "Unbroken" was not nominated..."Boyhood" might win but it is more about being audacious with a concept--saw the movie and while Arquette and Hawke's performances were very strong, thought the film overall was ...
I thought Ethan Hawke acted like Ethan Hawke. Jack O'Connell in "Unbroken" gave a better performance than Hawke has in any of his Linklater films. I did think that Arquette was phenomenal.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:02 PM

I thought for Ethan Hawke to be "religious" was pretty out of character and thus good acting...
Saw "Mr. Turner" today and thought Timothy Spall was deserving of Oscar nomination
also thought Jake Gyllenhall was great in "NightCrawler"--
and the guy who played King in Selma--David O--
too bad there are only 5 slots

I wasn't that impressed with O'Connell--

Old 01-16-2015, 12:40 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Boyhood is winning both BP and BD.
Michael Keaton is winning Lead Actor.
Julianne Moore is winning Lead Actress.(**** YES!!!!!)
J.K. Simmons is winning Supporting Actor.
Patricia Arquette is winning Supporting Actress.

There, how predictable.

Btw I really dislike how American Sniper swept the nominations simply because it's directed by Clint Eastwood. Bradley Cooper in no way deserves 3 ****ing nominations in a row.
I also dislike how Meryl can just snore into a nomination. I like her, but that's just too much.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:17 AM

I guess it's because she was willing to sing and use her own voice--not to mention the crone's getup

she was nominated for Golden Globe for "singing" in Mamma Mia--really showed her age in that one

Old 01-16-2015, 07:21 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Btw I really dislike how American Sniper swept the nominations simply because it's directed by Clint Eastwood.
Was that the reason? Interesting how differently critics reviewed the film.
American Sniper Review Roundup: Did Critics Like the Oscar-Nominated War Film, Starring Bradley Cooper? | E! Online

Old 01-16-2015, 12:49 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,282 times
Quote:
I also dislike how Meryl can just snore into a nomination. I like her, but that's just too much.
Looking at her career objectively, she's only had a handful of performances where the acting in and of itself was good. The rest of her career has consisted of just good imitations of foreign accents. A person doesn't need to be an actor/actress to imitate foreign accents well. So the whole "she's the best actress ever" thing is a bit of a stretch.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:33 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Btw I really dislike how American Sniper swept the nominations simply because it's directed by Clint Eastwood. Bradley Cooper in no way deserves 3 ****ing nominations in a row.
People keep saying this, but if it were true wouldn't they have given Clint Eastwood a nomination for directing?

Old 01-16-2015, 02:05 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
Quote:
Boyhood is winning both BP and BD.
Michael Keaton is winning Lead Actor.
Julianne Moore is winning Lead Actress.(**** YES!!!!!)
J.K. Simmons is winning Supporting Actor.
Patricia Arquette is winning Supporting Actress.

There, how predictable.

I agree with these predictions.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:32 PM

We saw "American Sniper" today--
very full theater for 245 pm show--not in the XD theater--
the first 1/4 to 1/3 of movie I (and people w/me) struggled to understand what Bradley Cooper or Sienna Miller were saying--
he mumbles a lot--maybe because he has a dip in his lip or because he is mimicing Kyle's voice--
maybe because of the sound editing--
but frustrating--especially when you really need to hear some of the comments to get the point of conflict/reference

at least the war scenes are not so loud that your seat shakes

I thought it was more war/shooting/combat than really about Kyle's psyche--
that being said there are scenes that show Bradley Cooper riven by what he is required to do to protect US service men...
and Cooper has beefed up and comes across as a guy who is combat ready--even if the scenes at SEAL camp aren't that interesting as say GI Jane's experiences

the family scenes w/him and his wife illustrate more the negatives he brought after his first and subsequent tours--very little about his interaction w/his dad who seemed a very important factor in childhood--
and for heaven's sake--if you are going to show scenes w/an infant then get an infant--
a doll just doesn't cut it in a movie that is supposed to be realistic and top $$

but Eastwood has a deft hand at showing combat--

do I think Cooper deserves the Oscar--
no--I saw Mr. Turner this week and my vote would be forTimothy Spall who wasn't nominated...
but MOST voters of the Academy are notoriously conservative and probably more pro-war than anti--
I think Cooper might crowd out Michael Keaton who (some might think) was a little too exposed on that stroll around the block...

PS--Norton overacted so much in his role--unlike JK Simmons who was spot-on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies