Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 08:02 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,259 times

Advertisements

It's the best film of the year but it won't win the Oscar because it's a black movie with no white savior and Hollywood hates that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 08:55 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
So is there anyone here who has actually seen the movie? And realizes it isn't a documentary?
I'm with you. Throw out the Ferguson reference in the closing rap and you have a timeless classic film.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:52 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,195 times
I was skeptical of the film, considering this is material that has been covered a million times. But I have to say that this is probably the best portrayal of the topic from a pure cinematic standpoint that I have seen in a while.

I do have some issues with the LBJ portrayal, but that's Hollywood, doesn't do any good to get upset over it. The whole, "all northern whites were good guys" motif got a little old (Boston has it's own racist history), but still a film I would highly recommend.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:16 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
I grew up in Alabama in the sixties and seventies. I really want to see the movie but haven't had the time so far. Maybe this week-end.

Things got ugly, folks, there is no pretending they didn't. MLK was NOT a saint and most of us know that by now.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:59 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,117 times
I don't like this attitude of "It's a movie, not a documentary, it doesn't need to be accurate."

But if you are going to make a HISTORICAL movie, why not make it accurate? The idea of LBJ being against the march is idiotic. The march was HIS IDEA. This is according to Julian Bond, one of MLK's closest associates. It's also recorded on the White House tape.

But they knew that other movies were criticized for black people having to be 'rescued' by white people (The Help and 12 Years a Slave spring to mind), so they had to make LBJ a bad guy to please the critics.

A lot of young people get their history through movies. They are going to walk away from this one totally miseducated.

All people care about is whether it moves them emotionally. Well, you can tell the true story and still do that.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:35 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
I enjoyed this movie, and think it was very well done, but IMO The Butler was even better and will have more staying power, for decades to come, as IMO the acting was far better.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:50 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
That theme is getting a bit tired. Especially given that the film doesn't even offer an honest appraisal of King -- although I have not seen the film, I guarantee you that Hollywood, with its current political agenda, would never dare release a film about the real MLK. Perhaps if someday the sealed FBI files regarding MLK are released to the public, and a new regime controls Hollywood, then we'll see a film about King that shows his true character, but until then, the whole grievances inc. film thing is rather passe.
If you mean the 'real' MLK, as in his character flaws, apparently the movie does deal with some of those issues, like his extra marital affairs. I didn't see the movie but that's what I read in one review of the film.

Ordinarily I'd want to see this movie, but indeed all the race baiting, the hypocrisy and double standards over all things race related in the media and all, I'm a bit fatigued at movies like these.

It's ironic, because it portrays an important part of American history, but I feel people are so fatigued over what I mentioned previously, they have no desire to see things like these at the moment.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:55 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,425 times
*yawn* I'm so tired of talking about race I wouldn't see the movie if someone paid me. I get it, white people are evil and the cause of all black people's problems. Lather, rinse, repeat. Same old, same old.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

It's ironic, because it portrays an important part of American history, but I feel people are so fatigued over what I mentioned previously, they have no desire to see things like these at the moment.
Funny thing is, your average American really doesn't have very much knowledge of that part of history. They have general ideas of it and get the gist, but not much historical knowledge.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
*yawn* I'm so tired of talking about race I wouldn't see the movie if someone paid me. I get it, white people are evil and the cause of all black people's problems. Lather, rinse, repeat. Same old, same old.
Because we all know this film doesn't depict white people dying for the same cause

I'm sick of people droning on and on about being "tired" of talking about race when they've never even bothered to talk about it or study up on it in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies