Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 12:03 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by introspectguy View Post
I thought the same thing. Me and my SO talked after the film about whether he was emotionally off before and the military capitalized on that, or if he was balanced and his service wreaked havoc on his mind.

I can see the hero debate and the real footage at the end definitely makes it look like a lot of folks deemed him as one. I wouldn't call him a hero myself, but didn't view him as a monster either.

I just found Moore's comments unnecessary and provoking a strange backlash from other Hollywood elites, some are even going as far to criticize the people who go see the film.
It's this Us vs. Them theme all the time now. It gets so annoying. We're all being played for votes and ratings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 04:02 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
A movie about snipers I prefer is Enemy at the Gates. I thought the way it was executed, with all the sneaking around, use of subterfuge, etc. was more interesting. I especially liked the end where Ed Wood gets slightly too confident and comes out of hiding, to reveal Jude Law waiting and getting the drop on him. Cool flick.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:47 PM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
His issue was he felt like he NEEDED to be over there to save Americans lives. Not because he loved being over there.
This is also how he got into helping returning soldiers with PTSD. He wanted to help his brothers and sisters. They in turn helped him reintegrate into civilian life. He felt like he was still saving lives.

I swear, I think some posters spaced out through this movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It's this Us vs. Them theme all the time now. It gets so annoying. We're all being played for votes and ratings.
This demagoguery on both sides in regards to this movie (and in general) is just beyond ridiculous.

To the right, anyone that remotely finds any fault with the movie or the Kyle character in general, are liberal losers who hate the military.

To the left, this movie glorifies war and an unrepentant killer.

Sheesh, both sides are being foolish and are flat out wrong, they want to see what they want to see.

Am I the only person around there that tries to see things with an open mind?

Old 02-01-2015, 06:23 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This demagoguery on both sides in regards to this movie (and in general) is just beyond ridiculous.

To the right, anyone that remotely finds any fault with the movie or the Kyle character in general, are liberal losers who hate the military.

Sheesh, both sides are being foolish and are flat out wrong, they want to see what they want to see.

I think people are just tired of seeing "true stories" that are nowhere near true. If they had not tried to pass this off as true, maybe there would be fewer comments.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:27 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:

Agreed. I can understand people's reluctance to like Chris Kyle. He's made some questionable comments in the past (how much is attributable to training, arrogance, or PTSD I don't know), but calling people who like the movie angry was weird. And calling anyone who questions Kyle as a hero as unpatriotic is annoying. It seems like nearly every issue becomes a left/right thing. Even totally unpolitical things like Ebola.

It used to be that people could criticize the government when they did something wrong even if the president and/or congress was headed by the people of your choice. Now people takes any criticism of the president as a personal insult. I blame the internet and forums like this. It's the only thing that's really new. Talk radio, mainstream media, and biased political opinion news commentary has been around a lot longer.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:26 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,243 times
Quote:

Then enlighten us O' open minded one. What is your take on the movie?

Old 02-02-2015, 08:48 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:

Yep. Precisely this. I've found I can't discuss this movie with anyone because I have to first declare whether or not I think he's a sainted hero. Frankly, I don't care one way or the other. Provocative subject matter aside, I don't think there's anything about the film that is Academy Award-worthy. It was an ok movie with ok performances.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:30 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Sorry if this has been addressed. I could only manage the first 100 or so posts.
In one scene some dude comes in the room where Chris has been on sniper duty all night and says "This place smell like (urine)" Then the camera pans to a very wet place.

Are we to expect the snipers have to wet their pants while on long duty? What was that all about.?

Old 02-03-2015, 06:10 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
Michelle Obama Praises American Sniper’s ‘Complex’ Portrayal of Vets’ Issues, mediaite.com/, January 30th, 2015

How Audiences in Iraq Are Reacting to American Sniper, mediaite.com/, January 30th, 2015

Quote:
“I love watching war movies because especially now they give me the strength to face ISIS,” he continued, saying he did not find anything anti-Arab about the film. “No, why? The sniper was killing terrorists, the only thing that bothered me was when he said he didn’t know anything about the Quran!”

Old 02-03-2015, 06:16 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I don't like Michael Moore, but what he was that Chris Kyle was not a hero. Kyle said he liked killing. As a veteran myself, I have never heard another one say that he liked killing. Chris Kyle had some severe mental health issues. I just wonder if he was ill before joining the military or if his service caused it?
It's a generational thing too. During and after WWII snipers were regarded as cowards...German snipers that is. If Moore's uncle was killed by a German sniper he heard his whole life that snipers are the lowest of the low and he was just repeating what he heard since he was a young boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies