Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 06:00 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times

Advertisements

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mortdecai/

He hasn't had any successful movies in recent years, aside from some voice overs like in Into The Woods.
I wonder if he's about done as an actor who can carry a movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 06:53 PM

5,475 posts, read 6,290,008 times
Is it in decline? More like, how long has it been in decline. He's been reasonably good in many things over the years, but really only did well as a lead actor in the Pirates movies. Other than that, not so good.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:59 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Three flopperoos in a row for poor Johnny (besides "Woods").

Well, there's always Pirates of the Carribean part 15.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:10 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Depp's problem is that this pretty much sums up his career for the past 20 year:

Disney film followed by bad Tim Burton film followed by Disney film followed by bad Tim Burton film followed by Disney film followed by bad Tim Burton film followed by Disney film followed by bad Tim Burton film.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:58 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Depp's problem is that this pretty much sums up
his career for the past 20 year:

Disney film followed by bad Tim Burton film followed by Disney film
followed by bad Tim Burton film
followed by Disney film
followed by bad Tim Burton film
followed by Disney film
followed by bad Tim Burton film.
This was EXCEPTIONALLY FUNNY!

Old 01-25-2015, 08:28 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
I saw the trailer and thought it looked horrible. Johnny Depp chooses to make these types of movies because he likes those quirky roles. That's fine, but he probably ought to lower his salary because they're just not the type of movies most people want to see these days.

I wonder how much of the poor box office had to do with Gwyneth Paltrow. She's not very popular with a lot of people from what I understand.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:27 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I saw the trailer and thought it looked horrible. Johnny Depp chooses to make these types of movies because he likes those quirky roles. That's fine, but he probably ought to lower his salary because they're just not the type of movies most people want to see these days.

I wonder how much of the poor box office had to do with Gwyneth Paltrow. She's not very popular with a lot of people from what I understand.
The trailer was horrible, there was nothing in it that interested me at all. I didn't find any of the scenes amusing in the least, and nothing wowed me or piqued my interest and curiosity.

Paltrow was in the Ironman movies, and obviously those movies did bonanza at the box office, so it's more of a subject thing than a star thing IMO.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:29 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
We saw it--movie is a farce although Paltrow doesn't know that--I am one of those people who hate her--but I guarantee you of the 3 or 4 leads, she will draw the least amount of criticism--and most of it will be simply for choosing to be in a "bad" movie...think she is the most overrated actor in modern times

Depp was good most of the time--not great--but good--and he and Paul Bettany had pretty good rapport--
Depp can still act--but his projects don't really care if he can or does--
Depp just got too much critical aclaim too soon and got too much money--
he doesn't care from what I have seen what the critical response is--and from what I have read which isn't that much really--Depp seems to be loyal to his friends--
Tim Burton is a friend--Edward Scissorhands was tremendous success for Depp (and Burton) so Depp doesn't forget...even if Burton's efforts don't reach the level of Edward Scissorhands again...

The Tourist--yuck--worst movie of the decade probably that had a decent budget
The Lone Ranger--who with a pulse would think a movie STARRING Armie Hammer could be watchable???
He was buried in the credits on the Facebook movie so that didn't count--

Too bad Depp didn't get to act in Somewhere, a movie about a film star with ennui--
he would have aced it and more people would have seen it...Depp is remarkably good when acting with children so I wish he could get a decent script that calls for that relationship...and put him in something with lot of makeup where we can't see that famous phiz...
we might be surprised...

Old 01-26-2015, 05:42 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
His next one is that movie about whitey bulger? Black Mass. That should be very good dramatic role. Lots of other stars in it as well.
It is always kind of "off" when there is just one decent actor in the movie, they can't possibly carry the whole movie now can they?

Old 01-26-2015, 10:08 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
Where's Lee Strasberg when you need him?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies