Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 04:16 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
But there was a black Nick Fury in the Ultimate Universe of Marvel Comics
And now there is a black Johnny Storm in the Fantastic Four movie... I don't see the big deal. Is being white essential to the character?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 05:24 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
And now there is a black Johnny Storm in the Fantastic Four movie... I don't see the big deal. Is being white essential to the character?
Only in that Johnny and Sue Storm were always brother and sister by blood so both would need to be black or white except if you go the adoptive route because it is rare to have biological siblings with different skin colors. That is the difference to me.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:27 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,128 times
Every bit of evidence that has been out so far points to this sucking. Haven't even watched the trailer, but after reading the first two posts it seems to reinforce the other evidence.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:57 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
I could not care less about Johnny Storm being black. Turning Nick Fury into Samuel L. Jackson is one of the smartest things Marvel has done in years.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:04 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Sadly the Nolan movies changed comic book movies for better and worse into more serious "pretentious" comic book movies. I liked the first Fantastic 4 movie, it's the sequel where it got bad.
Yes, but I liked his Batman trilogy. I like both 'campy' and serious.

I also think comic book movies with a more 'serious' theme have been in existence for a while.

One could make a case for the Christopher Reeve Superman from the 70's to be somewhat serious.

Not to mention Jack Nicholson and Michael Keaton's Batman, that one definitely had a more darker tone and I think some people at the time even noted the change in tone from the campy tv series.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yes, but I liked his Batman trilogy. I like both 'campy' and serious.

I also think comic book movies with a more 'serious' theme have been in existence for a while.

One could make a case for the Christopher Reeve Superman from the 70's to be somewhat serious.

Not to mention Jack Nicholson and Michael Keaton's Batman, that one definitely had a more darker tone and I think some people at the time even noted the change in tone from the campy tv series.
The Burton Batman movies Batman (1989) and more so Batman Returns were dark though the Joker at times with Nicholson was campy such as the museum scene. However most other comic movies that came out in the summer besides Fox's the X-Men and New Line's Blade were more fun and a bit campy than gritty realism we see with the post Nolan era. I mean Daredevil was dark but it wasn't a blockbuster with staying power.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:13 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post

okay..? Not really sure what your point is. Do you also think all the Avenger's movies are horrible since Nick Fury isn't white in those?

Far from it. I doubt there are many straight men in America who would kick her out of their bed.

http://www.psicocine.com/wp-content/.../kate-mara.jpg

I like the comic book movies to stick to the comics. She's bony no curves & can't act I would have to say the same thing about the rest of the cast. Hence the problem with re-boots. The cast some really good ACTORS the first couple of times around & then re-do them with so-so actors. They will get someone who can REALLY act to help carry them. Sadly I didn't see anyone in this movie.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:14 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark s. View Post
actually, ben is orange.

:d

Old 01-31-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I like the comic book movies to stick to the comics. She's bony no curves & can't act I would have to say the same thing about the rest of the cast. Hence the problem with re-boots. The cast some really good ACTORS the first couple of times around & then re-do them with so-so actors. They will get someone who can REALLY act to help carry them. Sadly I didn't see anyone in this movie.
This cast may not look that good on paper, BUT I'll give it an honest try. Micahel B. Jordan and Miles Teller are the only two I know off the top of my head and Miles Teller was not do good in Divergent which is the only movie I saw him in BUT I heard in Whiplash he is awesome. Michael B. Jordan however, has been pretty good at whatever. Kate Mara and Jamie Bell, I have no idea on but I'll try to keep an open mind. The trailers and the rumors however are making me sell if not rent the movie.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:38 AM

495 posts, read 684,574 times
This will bomb. Its a dead franchise and a reboot wont matter, especially with this cast and director.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies