Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 11:40 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
You should.

But, if you want to see a movie about people pulling themselves up by their boot straps, overcoming adversity, and living the American dream, this is the movie for you. Poor black kids earn 1 billion dollars as a whole and help create one of the most profitable music genre ever and create crazy revenue to help stimulate the economy instead of going to jail......yea, dumb movie
Regardless of the racial trolling, did you see the movie? If so who got the most shine?? Was there an over overemphasis on certain members? or was the story covered pretty evenly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 01:23 PM

5,825 posts, read 5,630,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Regardless of the racial trolling, did you see the movie? If so who got the most shine?? Was there an over overemphasis on certain members? or was the story covered pretty evenly?
It is a great movie. As far as music biopics are concerned, it goes at the top of the list with Walk The Line or any you can name. It deserves any and all accolades its nominated for, and it should be nominated for best picture. It's definitely one of the best releases of the year....

That said, it isn't perfect. Obviously, Eazy isn't here to give his perspective, but you can definitely tell the movie is slanted from Cube and Dre's perspectives. Personally, I believe they did Eazy justice. By all accounts he was very personable and like able and that is showed in the film. My problem is nothing was shown to paint Cube or Dre in any negative light, none of their flaws were shown at all. The film didn't show Dre assaulting that reporter, or disclose that he had a reputation as a woman beater long before the fame. In fact, the movie romanticizes this notion that Dre was a tough guy or sorts, and that isn't really true. It also paints the picture that Cube was the only writer, when Ren and DOC did a major amount of writing contributions. Ren definitely should've had a bit larger role, only for the fact that he was an initial friend of Eazy. So yeah, you can tell Cube and Dre had the heavy slant....

Also, Gray should have at least attempted to interview Jerry Heller. To his credit, he did put Heller in a very decent light, I just think Jerry Heller's own testimony should have counted for something. Gray did say he read Heller's book, though. Also, while "No Vaseline" was the best diss track as far as judged on a purely music level, if you're going to cover the fallout and the subsequent records, they ABSOLUTELY should've included "Real Motha*****kin G's" by Eazy and "**** With Dre Day" by Dre. Both of those songs are relevant to the discussion....

All things considered, please don't mistake me---it was a great movie! For the most part, this was an accurate portrayal and a very well directed movie. You'll learn a whole lot that you didn't realize about NWA...

To the people who likened this movie to "glorifying thug culture", please ignore those dumbasses. In real life, the only people in NWA with any amount of street credibility was Eazy and Ren--and Eazy was so much more than a drug dealer. Ren was definitely a gangbanger too, but he renounced his affiliations way back then (in the 80s) and you've never heard him even getting so much as a parking ticket. My advice to people who aren't aware of the group's history, or understand their impact on the evolution of rap and music in general, please continue to be ignorant in silence. No one needs your useless commentary here...

Everybody go see the movie!!

Old 08-17-2015, 03:58 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
I wonder how well they covered the early years....like all those guys on the NWA and the Posse album cover who got ignored after the group went global. Ah well, gotta go see it....

Old 08-17-2015, 06:30 PM

755 posts, read 675,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
It is a great movie. As far as music biopics are concerned, it goes at the top of the list with Walk The Line or any you can name. It deserves any and all accolades its nominated for, and it should be nominated for best picture. It's definitely one of the best releases of the year....

That said, it isn't perfect. Obviously, Eazy isn't here to give his perspective, but you can definitely tell the movie is slanted from Cube and Dre's perspectives. Personally, I believe they did Eazy justice. By all accounts he was very personable and like able and that is showed in the film. My problem is nothing was shown to paint Cube or Dre in any negative light, none of their flaws were shown at all. The film didn't show Dre assaulting that reporter, or disclose that he had a reputation as a woman beater long before the fame. In fact, the movie romanticizes this notion that Dre was a tough guy or sorts, and that isn't really true. It also paints the picture that Cube was the only writer, when Ren and DOC did a major amount of writing contributions. Ren definitely should've had a bit larger role, only for the fact that he was an initial friend of Eazy. So yeah, you can tell Cube and Dre had the heavy slant....

Also, Gray should have at least attempted to interview Jerry Heller. To his credit, he did put Heller in a very decent light, I just think Jerry Heller's own testimony should have counted for something. Gray did say he read Heller's book, though. Also, while "No Vaseline" was the best diss track as far as judged on a purely music level, if you're going to cover the fallout and the subsequent records, they ABSOLUTELY should've included "Real Motha*****kin G's" by Eazy and "**** With Dre Day" by Dre. Both of those songs are relevant to the discussion....

All things considered, please don't mistake me---it was a great movie! For the most part, this was an accurate portrayal and a very well directed movie. You'll learn a whole lot that you didn't realize about NWA...

To the people who likened this movie to "glorifying thug culture", please ignore those dumbasses. In real life, the only people in NWA with any amount of street credibility was Eazy and Ren--and Eazy was so much more than a drug dealer. Ren was definitely a gangbanger too, but he renounced his affiliations way back then (in the 80s) and you've never heard him even getting so much as a parking ticket. My advice to people who aren't aware of the group's history, or understand their impact on the evolution of rap and music in general, please continue to be ignorant in silence. No one needs your useless commentary here...

Pretty accurate take.

I saw the movie. I was living in Compton as a 17 year old (Santa Fe and Myrrh) in 1986. I got the Compton police treatment of being pulled over at gun point off of Santa Fe between Greenleaf and Alondra blvd. I was a fresh green pea from Michigan.

The movie was nostalgic for me. I remember my buddy had the cassette single Boyz N da Hood in 86-87.... Damn, that was almost 30 years ago!

I had soooo much to learn about Compton and LA......a different world.

Go see the movie!

Old 08-19-2015, 07:32 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,621,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
Pretty accurate take.

I saw the movie. I was living in Compton as a 17 year old (Santa Fe and Myrrh) in 1986. I got the Compton police treatment of being pulled over at gun point off of Santa Fe between Greenleaf and Alondra blvd. I was a fresh green pea from Michigan.

The movie was nostalgic for me. I remember my buddy had the cassette single Boyz N da Hood in 86-87.... Damn, that was almost 30 years ago!

I had soooo much to learn about Compton and LA......a different world.

Go see the movie!
Eeek! The police were really that brutal?

My dad is in law enforcement. We live in Pennsylvania, but in 1991 he went to Los Angeles for a week to see things. My dad really wants to see Straight Outta Compton, though. I saw it on Friday,but he wants to wait until it comes out on DVD.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

ahh man! I can only give you one rep point!....so they painted Dre an Cube as flawless? Dang. Now I know Ren and Yella had a little bit of say to influence the film, you are right Heller should have been contacted at least a conversation and honest one on one with Heller. Im curious if Lil Easy E or Tomika Wright were spoken to. Gray has mentioned there will be a Directors cut that makes the film 3.5 hours long. I dont know if I could sit for 3.5 hours of NWA, but its possible. The audio commentary on the blu ray should be dope. Glad its doing well. Whats up with the media making a point that there was NO VIOLENCE at the showing? As if there was SUPPOSED to be violence, like violence was scheduled to happen. Smh i hate the media sometimes man.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:26 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
I thought this was interesting:
Here's What's Missing From Straight Outta Compton: Me and the Other Women Dr. Dre Beat Up

Old 08-20-2015, 08:47 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I know I'm getting old when Hollywood is making nostalgic films about my teenage years. Can't wait to see it.

Wait until films about your teen years are replaced with films about your kid's teen years

Old 08-22-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Oh god, I dont understand why all the neo feminist are attacking this movie? Nevermind I do...hollywood expected this movie to fail. It was a success, so with success comes hate. Nothing is going to happen to Dr Dre for his fight with Dee Barnes. He is a millionaire, he won in life. This film proves that while society CAN keep most minorities down, depressed and in a losing position. If people try hard enough and work hard enough they can make it. Its always a good idea to choose battles wisely.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:45 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Hey I love rap and NWA and some of its members are my all time favorite rappers. There's no doubt NWA was one of the biggest influences on rap and popular culture in history, and I always thought they were the most intelligent of rappers. Not just stringing together words that rhyme, like most (c)rappers, but doing so in a way that uses street language in a very brilliant way.

At the same time though, you wonder if these people profited from the misery of others, and this genre without a doubt has glamorized and glorified the gangster life. These days, it's never been more 'cool' to act like a gang member with tattoos and clothing emulating gangsters.

Funny thing is, I think Eazy was the only one that had a background as one that lived the life of the streets, selling drugs. I know he grew up in Kelly Park Compton Crip hood, but not sure if he was a member.

The others in NWA weren't gangsters at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies