Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 06:49 PM

225 posts, read 216,645 times

Advertisements

........ I can own it without backup or playback computer restrictions, and is in a single file (not a dozen VOB or such, but a single AVI, MP4, MOV, etc) to download. I want to play on my own player in my own method (playlist, whole folder, etc) with no restrictions (I am big on my backups and which computer to play from).

VHS/DVDs expensive. Blockbuster, Amazon, CinemaNow, not do this. Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 06:42 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,408 times
By them used. DVDs are such a sturdy format that even abused, they typically can be wiped clean and viewed without blemish.

I'm not a lawyer, but from what I understand, if you purchase a movie, you own it and the copyright laws give you the specific right to make backups, for personal use. (Actually, not a bad idea, since if you loose or damage the disk, you will certainly not be able to get it replaced for free).

It doesn't say you have to buy them full-retail price. Purchase used movie DVDs from Craig's list, Amazon Used, eBay, Half.com, Goodwill stores, etc. and you own them. From there it's easy to 'rip' them to mp4 format using one of the may video editing software.

I use "Freemake Video Converter": free, open source, quick, very capable. It can take a DVD or BluRay and rip it to a single file, to the format you wish, MP4, AVI, MK V, or whatever.

I even got a VHS to DVD dubbing machine for about $60 that rips my old (but rare) purchased tapes to DVDs that I can then play on my DVD player or PC without having to worry about the tape being permanently eaten by an old tape player.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:26 PM

225 posts, read 216,645 times
Hmmmm, risky unless inspecting the DVDs for oils, finger prints, scratches, that can affect the movie from playback or ripping. Buying used not a bad idea, for lass money. I know of Freemake, because I can only afford free software, but with DVDs un-rip-able because of some DRM or stuff, then it be worthless, no? I could test ripping from my old DVDs from 2011 prior, but not sure about buying something, say, Transformers 4, which could be blocked from ripping. I guess that calls for investigation, but buying used DVDs is definitely something I did not think of, because my brain does not process getting other peoples stuff. Be a matter someone selling the movies I seek. Also the fact that my old computer can play videos, but it has little processing power to convert anymore.

An idea I can look into. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies