Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 10:35 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times

Advertisements

Wonderful film and I always loved the short story it was based on. Do not like the longer version. Prefer the film cut at the end with the airstrike destroying the compound. That was only available on some VHS versions and apparently is not on the DVD of the road version.

Favorite war film is Breaker Morant. Made quite an impression on me as a young man. Although neither of the two mentioned deal with war rather dehumanization which can occur in civilian life as well. Although the Ride of Valkyries could make someone briefly love war. I can see why music was used in the gunpowder era to steel nerves during the assault.

Regarding Vietnam:
Boys from Company C is good as is 84 Charlie Mopic and the 317th Platoon. I prefer Full Metal Jacket as a pure war film.

A Bridge Too Far is perhaps my favorite as it is both factual and well done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 10:39 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
I have no opinion on the movie but I do love the smell of napalm in the morning.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:49 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Wonderful film and I always loved the short story it was based on. Do not like the longer version.
Agreed. APOCALYPSE NOW is one of the few movies where I think the "Director's Cut" ruined a great movie.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:53 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I have no opinion on the movie but I do love the smell of napalm in the morning.

...it smells like....victory.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:21 AM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Apocalypse now is a Great Movie. It has so many cool parts but I wouldn't call it the best ever.

I have Apocalypse Redux on the Netflix que and haven't gotten around to watching it yet. Is that the directors cut you guys don't like much?

Years ago I remember seeing the compound destroyed at the end and then one night while flipping channels I saw the ending again and it wasn't blown up? I thought I remembered it wrong but I guess there were 2 endings.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:39 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Redux yes, that is the one I do not like.

There was quite a discussion on Imdb a while back as younger viewers did not believe the blowed up compound scene as it is rather rare.

I believe also Last of the Mohicans was considerably modified from theatrical release to dvd as well. music and scenes including part of the great ending fight being trimmed.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:22 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Well, I liked it. It was entertaining.

As far as the best war movie, though? Hard to say what's the best BUT the movie in question is no where on the level of what "Gallipoli" is.......................................in my humble opinion.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:22 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
This is the best war film of all time, IMO. Definitely in my top ten favorite movies, as well. Any opinions?
I prefer the "Redux" version. Neither is in my top ten, nor probably in my top 100.

I don't know how many war movies you've seen, but it occurs to me: What does "best" mean? Does it mean the movie that best evokes the real feel of war? (Most of us can't really judge that, can we?) Does it mean the movie that best convinces the audience of the viewpoint of the film (like All Quiet on the Western Front)? Does it mean the movie that is the broadest and most complex, perhaps with new ideas (maybe Rules of the Game)? Does it mean the movie that manages to do such a good job incorporating human elements that it persuades a huge number of people who see it and like it (like The Great Escape)?

Old 03-03-2015, 01:50 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Vogel View Post
You need to read my post on the origin of Apocalypse Now and what book it was based on. As I said,the novel was not really about war at all.
I saw Apocalypse Now on TV years after it came out. I'd read Heart of Darkness in an English Lit class, and I sat there stunned, knowing that somebody had STOLEN this story and re-set it in Vietnam! I remember thinking, "I can't be the only person who noticed this!" LOL

Old 03-03-2015, 01:54 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,330,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Casting that fatass Brando as Kurtz was a major fail.
From what has been published he wasn't fat when he was cast for the film but rather showed up on set over weight. He was still brilliant for the role, however, but I agree it would have been better if he had been somewhat fit. Nonetheless, he was an important cog in the film and Coppola relied heavily on the actor's talents.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/susan-...b_5587675.html

Outstanding film, and I need to watch it again soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies